Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
NHL seems to have a late October plan. There are still a lot of details that have to be worked ut with the NHL for instance what happens to players that played in the AHL and some NHL but will not be qualified fo the NHL next season

I assume normal eligibility rules will apply next season with respect to the NHL/AHL.

The questions mostly surround whether the OHL will alter its eligibility requirements to allow 21 year olds (2000 birthdate players) to play in some capacity.

The other question will be related to how they conduct the Priority Selection this year.

There will be a lot of rookies next year if they do they remain status quo for next season. A double cohort of rookies coming in if that is the case. Probably four 16 year olds as well as five or six 17 year olds plus 18 year olds like Sirizzotti. I imagine many teams will be in the same situation.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Does this look right?

Beck(18) - Tolnai(19) - Varga (OA)
Robinson(19) - Laforme?(18) - Sirizzotti(18)
Johnston(18) - Gaidamak(18) - Stonehouse(17)
Moldenhauser(17) - Crete(19) - Rookie(16)

Matier(18) - Belanger(19)
Sawyer(18) - Constantini(19)
Sirman(17) - Gill-Shane(18)

Cranley(19)
Donoso(18)

Leaves 2-OA spots and an Import open

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Does this look right?

Beck(18) - Tolnai(19) - Varga (OA)
Robinson(19) - Laforme?(18) - Sirizzotti(18)
Johnston(18) - Gaidamak(18) - Stonehouse(17)
Moldenhauser(17) - Crete(19) - Rookie(16)

Matier(18) - Belanger(19)
Sawyer(18) - Constantini(19)
Sirman(17) - Gill-Shane(18)

Cranley(19)
Donoso(18)

Leaves 2-OA spots and an Import open

Probably pretty close. Going to be a thin group but much of the league is going to look thin with so many rookies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Beck-Gaidamak-Simontaival (or alternate Import)
Varga(OA)-Laforme-Sirizzotti
Robinson-Tolnai-Moldenhauer
Johnston-Crete-Stonehouse

Belanger-Matier
Sawyer-Costantini
Sirman-GillShane
Mayich

Cranley
Donoso

I think there will be a few changes mixed in there. I am not too sure they will bring Varga back. I have a feeling they may use this season as a retool. That also would mean they may not offer a spot to Simontaival in favour of a younger Import playing further down the roster. That would move each of the RW up one slot.

I have a feeling Gaidamak is going to play as #1 Centre over Tolnai. That said, I don’t necessarily see a performance difference between first line and third line if they don’t grab an impact 19 year old Import and/or trade for impact OA forwards.

I think the defence is pretty much bang on. Three lefties with three righties all sorted based on experience. Goal also seems pretty straight forward.

I guess it will come down to what their goal is for this season. Like I say, I don’t see a strong 19 year old cohort for this team so not really much impact and I wouldn’t bother trading for it because I really don’t think this team would be one or two pieces away.

I think this can be a competitive lineup with strong future potential, just not a foundation for a potential Championship. Probably middle of the pack.

The full defence would return next year as well as the goalies. Tolnai and Robinson would be decent OA’s but we’ll see how they perform this season before we make that judgement.

If they do have an OHL draft this season, I would project them picking a Centre if possible. They seem pretty deep on the wings.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I would be surprised if there were not a couple of rookies in this lineup which might make life difficult for Tolnai Varga and Robinson

I think having played competitive hockey for a year Moldenhouer may be more effective at least early on that Sirozotti

What happens to players that were drafted and played ahl or pro hockey this year
Could Quinn be back

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
I would be surprised if there were not a couple of rookies in this lineup which might make life difficult for Tolnai Varga and Robinson

I think having played competitive hockey for a year Moldenhouer may be more effective at least early on that Sirozotti

What happens to players that were drafted and played ahl or pro hockey this year
Could Quinn be back

surprised more don’t see Writing on the wall with moldenhauer.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
surprised more don’t see Writing on the wall with moldenhauer.

He barely played when called up to the USHL and hasn't made any committments to NCAA so other than him going south to actually play instead of stay home on the couch, there's nothing to suggest he won't sign with Ottawa at this point.

If he remains unsigned when the deadline for defected players comes, the 67s can release his rights and take the comp pick. Not a big deal either way.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Could Quinn be back

When you say there may be rookies making life difficult for the veterans, I assume you mean more so depth chart as opposed to actual roster spot, correct? Because that's a lot of rookies needing to come in and take over actual roster spots that push those veterans off the team entirely.

OA players signed to NHL contracts (Quinn and Clarke) won't be back. They're already playing significant minutes in the AHL. No sense being returned to the OHL for OA seasons.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
So the OHL having a lottery. I think it's fair for everybody and we have a chance at #1. Kind of exciting.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
So the OHL having a lottery. I think it's fair for everybody and we have a chance at #1. Kind of exciting.

This draft will be a bit of a crap shoot anyway. Teams will have a sense about skill from previous seasons but it is tougher to judge compete level, especially through 18 months of physical growth. Who knows how that truely translates.

The scouts will really be relied upon this draft. We may see some positional requirement picks more so than overall ranking. 67s need centres so I'd imagine pick #1 will be a centre regardless.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just looking at the potential lineup for the Ottawa 67’s this year and seeing so many potential rookies:

2021 Draft - The 67’s have their 1st, two 2nds, a 3rd and three 4ths. You have to think the first rounder and both 2nd rounders will get an opportunity to stick with the club.

2019 Draft - Donoso is signed and is slated for the backup role. Laforme is signed as well after his trade to the 67’s last offseason. It would be awesome if we could pull from one of the NCAA bound players in that draft as well (Wilmer, Boucher, Burnside) but it isn’t likely.
2020 Draft - Moldenhauer, Stonehouse, Sirman, Mayich. Expect Couchie and Henry to get a long look as well.

Imports: Gaidamak is rumoured to be signed but not sure what the status is. He seems to be a leader for the under-18 Team Russia. He should be fine. Simontaival is drafted but I am not sure he will report. I imagine the 67’s will draft again in the first round of this CHL draft and see if they can get another 17 year old.

I am counting a minimum of seven rookies (Gaidamak, Laforme, Donoso, Moldenhauer, Stonehouse, Sirman and Mayich). You have to think they will sign and play three of their top four picks in this draft. That would make it 10 rookies.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Just looking at the potential lineup for the Ottawa 67’s this year and seeing so many potential rookies:

2021 Draft - The 67’s have their 1st, two 2nds, a 3rd and three 4ths. You have to think the first rounder and both 2nd rounders will get an opportunity to stick with the club.

2019 Draft - Donoso is signed and is slated for the backup role. Laforme is signed as well after his trade to the 67’s last offseason. It would be awesome if we could pull from one of the NCAA bound players in that draft as well (Wilmer, Boucher, Burnside) but it isn’t likely.
2020 Draft - Moldenhauer, Stonehouse, Sirman, Mayich. Expect Couchie and Henry to get a long look as well.

Imports: Gaidamak is rumoured to be signed but not sure what the status is. He seems to be a leader for the under-18 Team Russia. He should be fine. Simontaival is drafted but I am not sure he will report. I imagine the 67’s will draft again in the first round of this CHL draft and see if they can get another 17 year old.

I am counting a minimum of seven rookies (Gaidamak, Laforme, Donoso, Moldenhauer, Stonehouse, Sirman and Mayich). You have to think they will sign and play three of their top four picks in this draft. That would make it 10 rookies.
The 67's have wished Moldenhauer best of luck in his future endeavors on their instagram account so I suspect he is not reporting, which means 4 rookies and 2 open spots on forward on the projected roster. Plus another early second round selection added to the draft.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The 67's have wished Moldenhauer best of luck in his future endeavors on their instagram account so I suspect he is not reporting, which means 4 rookies and 2 open spots on forward on the projected roster. Plus another early second round selection added to the draft.

Nationals Bound for 67's Prospect Nick Moldenhauer - Ottawa 67s

I guess it depends on how you read it. I read this as he is a 67’s “prospect” because he is unsigned. As far as I am aware, all of the 2020 draft picks are unsigned which makes them prospects.

Moldenhauer is uncommitted to any NCAA school. He’d be finishing high school this upcoming season and normally players that are serious about NCAA have commitments prior to entering their last year of high school.

So, as far as I am concerned, this is speculation. It may be good speculation but it is speculation nonetheless until there is some form of announcement.

If he chooses to not sign a contract, it could also be he is jockeying for a trade to a specific team. If that is the case, the 67’s get the trade value PLUS the comp draft pick. If he is defected then hey get the comp pick. Either way the 67s are adequately compensated. Now, I’d rather have Moldenhauer than the comp pick but it is what it is. Either Moldenhauer is playing OR the player they draft with his comp pick is playing. Someone is filling the roster spot and it will be a high pick regardless.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Are you sure Donoso is actually signed? I don't recall any official announcement. Hopefully he is as he seems like a good prospect.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Nationals Bound for 67's Prospect Nick Moldenhauer - Ottawa 67s

I guess it depends on how you read it. I read this as he is a 67’s “prospect” because he is unsigned. As far as I am aware, all of the 2020 draft picks are unsigned which makes them prospects.

Moldenhauer is uncommitted to any NCAA school. He’d be finishing high school this upcoming season and normally players that are serious about NCAA have commitments prior to entering their last year of high school.

So, as far as I am concerned, this is speculation. It may be good speculation but it is speculation nonetheless until there is some form of announcement.

If he chooses to not sign a contract, it could also be he is jockeying for a trade to a specific team. If that is the case, the 67’s get the trade value PLUS the comp draft pick. If he is defected then hey get the comp pick. Either way the 67s are adequately compensated. Now, I’d rather have Moldenhauer than the comp pick but it is what it is. Either Moldenhauer is playing OR the player they draft with his comp pick is playing. Someone is filling the roster spot and it will be a high pick regardless.
I agree, I don't see this as the 67's saying adios! More like encouragement to get him to sign. That being said I truly hope he does sign as he's highly regarded and likely a better player than we would get in the second this year especially with most kids having lost a year. I am worried he hasn't signed yet, hopefully he's just making sure we will have a season this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Are you sure Donoso is actually signed? I don't recall any official announcement. Hopefully he is as he seems like a good prospect.

My understanding was he signed late last season or early post-season.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

Puckstop you need to read that again the 67 are wishing him luck in the tournament he is playing in.

GAIDAMARK

If he is not drafted or invited to an NHL camp then I think you will see him stay in Russia and look at a KHL team for the future. I do not see him coming here.

So that will leave the 67 with 2 picks in the Euro.

I am looking this year at Kingston having a strong team based on Wright and the 67s being in a rebuilding year like a lot of teams.

Ottawa will be allowed to dress as many of last years players as qualify for the team.

I do not see a great need at Defence but still, it would not surprise me to see a trade there just to make up room for the future.

Tolnai should be safe but Robinson I think will be gone.

When the OHL gets to training camps it definitely will be interesting.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
CONGRATULATIONS TO MATT MOLDENHAUSER His team won overtime with him scoring the winning goal.

God I hope he reports when camps open I think he will be a second line at least.

The final game is today against Colorado thunderbirds who they beat 5-2 in regular play.

Here is my proposed line up for next year

Beck-Laforme-Sirizzotti
Johnston-Moldenhauer-Stonehouse
2021-Tolnai- Euro
2021Crete- Euro
Draft Draft

Belanger-Matier
Sawyer-Costantini
Sirman-GillShane
Mayich

Cranley

As stated before I do not think either Euro will come, Gaidamak if not drafted high would be smarter to play in the Russian system and look at the KHL. Simontavi is more likely to either stay in Europe or go to the AHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad