Ottawa 67's 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looks like we are going to get some junior hockey. Can.t wait until Thursday to see what she says.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It is nice that they are giving money for education BUT saying that they will not make an announcement about playing until END MARCH means that teams will not be on the ice until mid-April at best.

This would mean that the league would be playing in May June. Is this going to be possible and will fans care?

This works good for Moldenhauer as I would think the American teams will either be finished their season or close to it.

I can not see players like Drysdale and Quinn coming back unless there is some incentive for teams. Obviously, Buffalo would be able to get him ice time in-game situations Minnesota would be the same.
Players playing in Europe might be able to get back to the OHL teams and play as well if their season is finished.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Ouch, potentially just weeks before the season and Andre Tourigny is stepping away from the 67s to join Hockey Canada. Big loss

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Ouch, potentially just weeks before the season and Andre Tourigny is stepping away from the 67s to join Hockey Canada. Big loss
Actually he just resigned for 6 years with the 67's but he will have different coaching duties with hockey canada for the next few years but he is still the coach!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Actually Ottawa resigned their whole head office/coaching staff long term...great news! No denying the positive results of the Tourigny /Boyd/ Egert triad in the last few years and I think the base for future success is there.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Actually Ottawa resigned their whole head office/coaching staff long term...great news! No denying the positive results of the Tourigny /Boyd/ Egert triad in the last few years and I think the base for future success is there.

Agreed 100%. They’ve far exceeded my expectations.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That permission for a leave of absence of one year pretty much outlines the goals for the 67s next season and that is to not be a competitor. They will likely use next season to retool.

The only question I have is the Winter Olympics end Feb 20, 2022. By then he will have coaching in:

1 - 2021 IIHF World Championships
2 - 2022 IIHF under-20 World Championships
3 - 2022 Olympics

Plus I assume he'll do the IIHF under-16 tourney as well as the Hlinka tourney for the under -18's.

His year with Hockey Canada would be done next February unless he stays on for a End run at the IIHF 2022 tourney.

Would that mean he'd be back before the end of the next OHL season (if he doesn't stay for the 2nd World championships in 2022)?

Edit:
He is slated to coach the 2022 IIHF World championships so he will not be back at all next season.

Edit #2:
Further to Badger's comments regarding NHL knocking, i think the team will sell off whatever makes sense and push assets forward to prepare for a two year run after this coming season upon his return. He will use that to further market himself. I doubt he get a head coach offer out of the Hockey Canada role. He'll need one solid two year run with success and the real offers will come for sure.

Last edited:

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
That permission for a leave of absence of one year pretty much outlines the goals for the 67s next season and that is to not be a competitor. They will likely use next season to retool.

The only question I have is the Winter Olympics end Feb 20, 2022. By then he will have coaching in:

1 - 2021 IIHF World Championships
2 - 2022 IIHF under-20 World Championships
3 - 2022 Olympics

Plus I assume he'll do the IIHF under-16 tourney as well as the Hlinka tourney for the under -18's.

His year with Hockey Canada would be done next February unless he stays on for a End run at the IIHF 2022 tourney.

Would that mean he'd be back before the end of the next OHL season (if he doesn't stay for the 2nd World championships in 2022)?

Edit:
He is slated to coach the 2022 IIHF World championships so he will not be back at all next season.

Edit #2:
Further to Badger's comments regarding NHL knocking, i think the team will sell off whatever makes sense and push assets forward to prepare for a two year run after this coming season upon his return. He will use that to further market himself. I doubt he get a head coach offer out of the Hockey Canada role. He'll need one solid two year run with success and the real offers will come for sure.
Yes Iagree that although we will be decent next year it's a retool year and we should be good the year after with Tolnai, Belanger, Cranley as OA candidates.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes Iagree that although we will be decent next year it's a retool year and we should be good the year after with Tolnai, Belanger, Cranley as OA candidates.

It's really going to depend heavily on how well the 2019 draft players look. I know they looked pretty darned good as 16 year olds that is for sure! But with a year off and no development, I have to admit I am a little more concerned.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Next year was going to be retooling anyway. There really are not NHL stars in the line up so almost all will be back 22/23.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
3rd 67 joins Belleville Senators, after Cedric Andree and Merrick Rippon, (who played his 1st game tonight)
@LongBallsWalls
Mitch Hoelscher will be the third member of the Ottawa 67’s to sign an ATO with the Belleville Senators. Hoelscher will have his first skate with the team tomorrow and with all the injuries suffered in the organization there is a good chance that he could dress Friday.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Noel Hoefenmayer now playing with the Toronto Marlies. 7points with the Wichita Thunder in 6 games and thentransfered to the Marlies in the AHL, zero points in 5 games.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Noel Hoefenmayer now playing with the Toronto Marlies. 7points with the Wichita Thunder in 6 games and thentransfered to the Marlies in the AHL, zero points in 5 games.

Good for Hoef to get the call up. His game is well suited for the ECHL and 2nd tier Leagues in Europe. He doesn’t skate well enough at the AHL level to have the same sort of results. I am not saying he can’t improve and become a solid AHL player in time but it will be tough. That is a great league with seasoned pros with tons of skill and overall talent. I just don’t see Hoef keeping up and having his skills translate at that level.

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
I assume there will be NO OHL this season after todays 28 day lockdown announcement

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
Nice to see Matier get a shot on U18 team. I’m sure he will be relied upon on shut down pairing and PK. Big big kid now and should improve any ranking heading into draft.

Reactions: OMG67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just reading an article in Vancouver. Another guy getting screwed is MDP he has not played any hockey games in 270 + days.

Hoef seems to be holding his own 1 assist and only -2 in 8 games

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I said a long time ago that the season would be cancelled and now it has come to fruition. Hope things are okay by Sept.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I said a long time ago that the season would be cancelled and now it has come to fruition. Hope things are okay by Sept.

September will be tough I think. I know they said they are going to work on labour day weekend training camps but considering the NHL will start late and the vaccine rollout in Canada will probably keep fans oit of seats until at least Novemeber, I see no reason to push the envelope.

That said, they could do an extended training camp and preseason with extra exhibition games and start the season one month later than usual. Players assemble at the same time but they spend an extra month getting ready. May not be a bad idea considering the loss of a season. There will be a lot of rookies next year too.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
NHL seems to have a late October plan. There are still a lot of details that have to be worked ut with the NHL for instance what happens to players that played in the AHL and some NHL but will not be qualified fo the NHL next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad