Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
TOlnai will not be drafted with his current performance

So take a look at some of the players that have been stars for this team and were not drafted. You do not draft in the OHL for the player that is going to be the best NHL player you draft for the player that is going to be the best OHL player and yes sometimes these are different Tessier is the first to come to mind. Ling in Kingston also.

You guys are hammering Tolnai as if he was selected as a god. He was not he was selected ast the best fit for the team. Then the team got a chance for Rossi and immediatley Tolnai became an afterthought for the 4th line Center position.

With the amount of ice time he got last year and the fact that he has no one that he played with last year on his line you have to give him time.

In the perfect world last year he would have been the 4th line center on a line with 2 other rookies and this year those 3 players would move up to be the 3rd line as a line.

Unfortunately, that did not happen. There is a lot of disorganization on the forward lines right now. Give them time to get Rossi back and the first and second line sorted out.

Like OMG I never expected this team to go for it this year but they will be either the number 1 or 2 team in the conference.

Reactions: sirius67fan

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
I understand that you feel he never has a proper chance but it seems obvious that Ottawa really is weak after the first 2 lines and we carry players who dont produce because we believe they'll blossom into the special player we want to believe they can be.

I say if you can't show talent you probably dont have talent. You are only as good as your worst performance.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
In a nutshell, we’ve got the D and the goaltending, just need to add one or two forwards (giving up some roster players and picks to do so), and we’ll be fine.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Holy cow. I duck for a day or so and all of a sudden the sky continues to fall.

I said months ago this team did not nearly have enough offence. We knew we were going to have to add. I said for us to add the type of assets required, we'd need to empty our cupboards AND probably trade Matier or Tolnai.

We did get some conditionals back when traded players reported plus the picks for Maggio so we don't need to trade everything but we still will need to part with a painful number of assets.

I also said our "depth" of defence is great but not out TOP end. When everyone is healthy, our 6th through 9th are clearly the best in the league hands down. Unfortunately. Only one of those guys actually plays!

We are fortunate Hoefenmeyer returned. That gives us a solid top two. Both Okhotyuk and Rippon are solid players but not what any of us would consider dynamic. If inserted into the Guelph lineup last year, they'd be botton pair.

The league is weaker this year so there is an opportunity to make a run. I agree. That said, we're still going to need a kid like Akil Thomas and that acquistion will not be 'just picks." It's going to cost a painful player plus picks.

If we make an honest run at it this year, we are 100% sure to have to do a selloff of some kind next year without a doubt.

It will take time to make these required player acquisitions so be patient. This is a great opportunity for some of the less experienced players to play up in the depth chart. That is valuable experience going forward.

The season starts after the trade deadline. What happens between now and then is virtually meaningless. Home ice advantage is good but not required. Who cares if we are the 3rd seed but we have the best record post deadline? I don't.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG

You and I have been around long enough to remember that the Memorial Cup is not the be-all and end-all of the world. Yes, it is nice to win but do you really need to sell your soul to do it.

I look at this team and I can see parallels with the Fronts 2 years ago. They traded and did everything they thought they could and what did they get.

As much as the M CUP or bust fans rant it is not the be-all. Everyone talks about the London system. When was the last time they went to the M Cup.

Why is it that all of a sudden people want a powerhouse team right out of the first game of the year.

The hypocrisy of it all amazes me these are the same people that were crying and yelling because the team was in the perpetual rebuild.

You are expecting players that have never played together to be able to be NHL STARS and if they are not then get rid of them.

This crap I would expect in Kingston or a place that has never seen a continued winning season but the fact that it is happening with the 67's made me wonder about the people supporting the team.

BTW If I am hurting anyone's feeling then maybe you need to look in the mirror.

2 of the best all around players that we had on this team were Dan Tudin and Ben Gustafson. Neither one impressed all that much but they sure were important parts to the teams that they played on.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
Good job for some
Hoelscher is playing impressively well.
3rd and 4th line
Sure would be nice to have some points by game 7

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Actually they played a good game imo and dominated periods 1 and 3. Ingham was good and they couldn't finish. If they play like this every night they will win most games. That being said can't wait to see Rossi friday...he is fun to watch.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
OMG

You and I have been around long enough to remember that the Memorial Cup is not the be-all and end-all of the world. Yes, it is nice to win but do you really need to sell your soul to do it.

I look at this team and I can see parallels with the Fronts 2 years ago. They traded and did everything they thought they could and what did they get.

As much as the M CUP or bust fans rant it is not the be-all. Everyone talks about the London system. When was the last time they went to the M Cup.

Why is it that all of a sudden people want a powerhouse team right out of the first game of the year.

The hypocrisy of it all amazes me these are the same people that were crying and yelling because the team was in the perpetual rebuild.

You are expecting players that have never played together to be able to be NHL STARS and if they are not then get rid of them.

This crap I would expect in Kingston or a place that has never seen a continued winning season but the fact that it is happening with the 67's made me wonder about the people supporting the team.

BTW If I am hurting anyone's feeling then maybe you need to look in the mirror.

2 of the best all around players that we had on this team were Dan Tudin and Ben Gustafson. Neither one impressed all that much but they sure were important parts to the teams that they played on.

Great Post could be a sticky for most teams threads quite frankly! Way to early to have any idea what kind of a team anyone is going to have for the most part. Especially to early to give up on a kid, way to early.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Plus this littlw slide helps identify areas of need. If we continued to sneak out wins, maybe we don't have any urgency to acquire. Who knows.

The rumour is Ottawa is or was pushing hard for Akil Thomas so they clearly identify a need for an impact forward...assuming that rumour is true.

It then becomes a question of how many other bodies they feel they need.

I think if we have two highly dynamic scoring lines, we don't need a 3rd line that scores. We need a 3rd line that can keep pucks out of the net and not hurt us. I feel, at some point, the Tolnai-Robinson line will produce a bit. The key is their ability to play against more dynamic lines on the road and whether they can match up with those lines and keep them off the scoresheet. To me, that should be the immediate goal. Their development into a scoring duo is secondary.

Reactions: dirty12

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Before overtime and shootout Ottawa record will be three losses and four ties does management consider this in changes or will it pick up when players return

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Before overtime and shootout Ottawa record will be three losses and four ties does management consider this in changes or will it pick up when players return

I think they know what they need. It didn't help losing Rossi for five games but it does show lack of depth.

If your management would give up on Thomas returning a 2019 first and trade him now, we'd be ust fine! LOL

Reactions: three dog night

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
I think they know what they need. It didn't help losing Rossi for five games but it does show lack of depth.

If your management would give up on Thomas returning a 2019 first and trade him now, we'd be ust fine! LOL
How about a 2018 first instead?

HockeyHero96

Nov 1, 2015
How about Carroll or Roth ?
Also think Hayton will cost major Like tolini and matier and a couple 2nds and third

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Also think Hayton will cost major Like tolini and matier and a couple 2nds and third
We can probably afford to give up a D or two since we’re so deep at that position. Needless to say, we need help with offence and management likely understands that it will come with a cost.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The idea is not to have superstars on all 3 lines

An example is below

Bowen Peca marshall
Washburn Donovan
Boyd Edmondsen Nemirovsky
MacAuley Trottier
Stonier Zoryk
You build your lines when they are rookies and then carry them on

It is the way to stay sustainable.

The 2nd line of a team is what people will see as the starting line next year. (in a perfect world)

This removes any pressure on a player to be a star right out of the draft.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
Make me happy and trade Tolnai
And picks for a strong forward please.
I am more impressed with this years rookies then last year for sure.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Congrats to Rossi Quinn and Cranley for being selected to the NHL scouts top 40 to watch list.

Players like Tolnai Robinson and Belanger will now have to use it as a reason to practice harder and step up their games or just decide that they are going to take the scholarship route. It should be interesting.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Well I guess it won't be Hayton, you are not going to dismantle half the team for 1 guy to bolster your lineup. Belanger and possibly another defenseman could be available trade bait for any transactions. Tolnai, whether you like him or not at least has some league experience which we really cannot afford to give up from our current forward configuration.

I hope management can come up with a couple of deals that will bolster the lineup if they are really serious about contending for the league title.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad