Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'OHL' started by EON, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

Shock can work both ways

dirty12 likes this.
  2. beastintheeast

beastintheeast Registered User

teacher retired soldier
    3 dog

I think it is safe to say that McGrath is not going to get a great deal of work. Let's face it he had the chance to make the Wolves his team and could not do it. Then again he may be better with fewer shots and a better defense. i just think that Niagara is not in the same class as Ottawa or London when it comes to goaltenders.
    Both of those teams can change and not worry about the abilities.
    It is the one major difference between 2 teams tht otherwise may be fairly equal.

3. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

The only reason to worry about a backup is final place in the standings (wins on the rest day of the starter) and as a replacement should your starter get injured.

As long as the starter doesn't get injured, I don't see a reason to worry if you are Niagara.

Regarding London, they do have two bonafide starters. Both Kooy and Raymaakers have proven solid.

All that said, Ottawa is solid in net, yes. If DiPietro can duplicate previous playoff numbers, we should score enough goals with our offensive output to win series. We may be best positioned to do so.

Oshawa and Sudbury have the other two goalies generally accepted as top three with DiPietro.

The West? Villata is definitely the top goalie there. He is nipping at the heals of the top 3 in the East. Outside those four, it would be tough to pin down who the definitive #5 would be.

4. Drop the Puck

Drop the Puck Registered User

3 dog remembers well that Dhillon went thru a rough patch in January 2018.
    My thoughts are, if you have to start your BUG in the playoffs, something is “off”.
    Jake can work the Niagara gate just as good as Colton can.
    Burke will “over play” SD and may be a factor come late spring.

5. mianjo

mianjo Registered User

Maksimovich, Chiodo and DiPietro in the lineup NO Chemelevski tonight. Andre starts.

6. mianjo

mianjo Registered User

7. mianjo

mianjo Registered User

8. mianjo

mianjo Registered User

2-1

2-2

9. mianjo

mianjo Registered User

2-2 after 1. Sarnia with 2 power play goals , 67`s 0 for 3 on the PP

10. sirius67fan

sirius67fan Registered User

Well Bitten, Clark and Chiodo seem to be hitting it off!

BarberPole9 likes this.
  11. mianjo

mianjo Registered User

12. mianjo

mianjo Registered User

13. mianjo

mianjo Registered User

14. 1967

1967 Registered User

Wow what a dynamic team we have become and it is just the early stages of getting use to each other as a whole.
    Bold predictions for the weekend
    Saturday 5-3 win over London
    Sunday 3-2 OT win over Guelph

BarberPole9 likes this.
  15. BarberPole9

BarberPole9 Registered User

What a game indeed! Each line looked good out there and though we didn’t rack up all that many shots, it felt like all of them were a good scoring chance.

It’s so nice to have a solid goalie duo, Andree looked good again tonight.

16. BarberPole9

Oh yeah, Pierre Dorion please go ahead and SIGN TYE FELHABER!!!!! 46 goals!

ChurchOfAlfie and LDN like this.
  17. JLT

JLT Registered User

Rossi is such a stud. Here are some of his highlights of so far that I found...

LDN likes this.
  18. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

Not a fan of Raymakers

19. Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates Registered User

As an outside looking in but I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of the East, is anyone else not shocked the D-core wasn't upgraded upon at all? Forwards are good and deep, 2 good goalies. But that d-core would scare me if I'm an OTT fan. A 2nd pairing of Okhotyuk and Wilson or Rippon is going to be able to shut down Thomas-Studnicka-Maksimov or Robertson-Jones-Tomasino in a 7 game series?

three dog night likes this.
  20. beastintheeast

beastintheeast Registered User

teacher retired soldier
    A starting goalie getting injured is one scenario. After watching the Fronts ride goalie into the playoffs and then lose I also realize that goalies need to get rest. If all you've is a starter and you ride him the whole season chances are that he is going to be worn out come playoffs and not sharp. Kingston has had great teams but the problem is that they have worn out their goalies by playing them too much.

In the case of Niagara, they cannot ride Dhilllon the whole way. Neither can SSM. What I was alluding to is the luxury that Ottawa and London have. Let's face it they have 2 goalies tha they can count on if they have to make a switch. Niagara and especially the Soo don't have that luxury.

Generalsupdate.

The experience and size of this defense along with the abilities of the layers on forward to play both ends is not going to make anyone worry. Add 2 of the top goalies in the league and you can see that defence is not a worry.

21. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

That’s why I said it only matters in the standings because if your backup isn’t great, you may shed a few points. But, come playoffs, the backup doesn’t;t really matter much,

22. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

Defensively the defense doesn’t concern me one bit.

Okhotyuk was the Captain of Team Russia at the under-18’s. He’s fairly highly rated. Rippon may not be drafted but he is a solid OHL D-man. Wilson is one of those tough as nails stay at home guy. He’ll be that shut down guy. PEric is solid for a 17 year old.

The reality is Hoefenmayer and Bahl will probably play 28 minutes per game come playoffs anyway, That’s pretty standard for most top pairs in the playoffs.

As Beast mentioned, they play a pretty solid team game so the defensive side isn’t much of an issue.

The issue is offense from the blueline. We’d have liked a PP QB. It didn’t happen. Oh well. We should score enough goals to win regularly and in some cases like tonight, light it up silly.

I’s also suggest Niagara was the team that needed a defensive upgrade. They get flustered a lot by speed and Ottawa is the type of team that will expose that. Brassard is OK but it’s not like he’s had success this year with Ottawa. He was getting undressed by 16 year old Jr A players last game. The more interesting question is to ask Niagara fans how they will stop the 67’s with that defense....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    BarberPole9 likes this.
  23. BarberPole9

Out of curiosity, do you watch the actual games?

Wilson and Okhotyuk have had great years and are a combined +32, while Merrill Rippon is +31 himself. IMO Lucas Peric is the most underrated player on this team, he reminds me a lot of Hoefenmayer two years ago but doesn’t get as much ice time as Hoef did because of the team’s great depth.

24. sirius67fan

Good morning update! As OMG said I have no concern at all. Our first pairing is rock solid. But to me the wildcard is Rippon, he's the best kept secret in the O, not flashy but awesome D and with him and I suspect Okhotiuk by playoff time they are a terrific and physical pair. Wilson Peric is a very good third pair. An aspect of our defense that's underrated is it's physicality. Bahl, Wilson, Rippon and Okhotiuk can and will hit. Even Hoef has brought a more physical game lately. Peric tries...but oh well. This is important as our forward core is not the biggest. Offensively they're ok ( not like london or the soo) with Hoef particularly but with these forwards all we need is that good first pass mostly. My one concern with our D is injuries as we did not pick up an experienced seventh D as insurance.

25. sirius67fan

Last night was too easy I' m almost hoping they lose one of the next two so it dampens a bit the euphoria post trade deadline. Teams needs reminders its not gonna be easy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.