Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Is this an actual deal or hypothetical?

I’d do it if it is hypothetical.

EDIT: Why did I think Gareffa was a D-Man? Scratch that last answer.
It's a hypothetical but would get Meireles home to Ottawa, Hoelscher home to Kitchener. It would give Ottawa two good OA candidates for next year and Kitchener relief from their surplus of 19 year olds.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It's a hypothetical but would get Meireles home to Ottawa, Hoelscher home to Kitchener. It would give Ottawa two good OA candidates for next year and Kitchener relief from their surplus of 19 year olds.

It’s just overkill. I can see the logic in Meireles. He’d an OA next year but once you start putting guys like Hoelscher on your 4th line it starts not making sense.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
I assuming the F lines look like this:

Keating-Rossi-Felhaber
Maksimovich-Chmelevski-Clark <--- Tourigny said this on TSN1200
Chiodo-Hoelscher-Clarke/Quinn
Bitten/Yule-Bitten/Tolnai-Clarke/Quinn/Maggio

Tourigny did mention Chem may not play Friday in Sarnia to finish his WJC rest period. He did indicate DiPietro would be available in Sarnia.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Keating-Rossi-Felhaber

Tourigny did mention Chem may not play Friday in Sarnia to finish his WJC rest period. He did indicate DiPietro would be available in Sarnia.

Friday should be an easier game. The Sat and Sun games will be the tough ones.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Is this an actual deal or hypothetical?

I’d do it if it is hypothetical.

EDIT: Why did I think Gareffa was a D-Man? Scratch that last answer.
Gareffa was playing forward, but I think his natural position is defense. On the Kitchener boards, someone mentioned he preferred playing defense.

Reactions: HockeyPops

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009

Keating-Rossi-Felhaber

Maggio has been sent to the Kanata Lasers.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Makes sense for Maggio. Reality is he wouldn't see much ice for the rest of the year. He got quality icetime to develop in the first half so he knows what it takes in the O. A slower speedin chl will help develop his puck skills and I expect a good jump from him next year, like the kid and will be important in coming years.

Reactions: BarberPole9

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Now that the dust has settled on the trade deadline I thought that it would be fun to try to project next year's lineup.

Working on a few assumptions:
1) Chmelevski, Dipietro, Kody Clark and Hoefenmayer all go pro;
2) The imports remain the same.

FORWARDS

Keating-Rossi-Clarke
Bitten-Hoelscher-Quinn
Maggio-Tolnai-Yule
Crete-OPEN-OPEN
Dick

From last year's draft, it would be great to see the team sign 4th rounder Colby Ambrosio, who they have mentioned several times as a prospect sign in the offseason. There don't appear to be any other players drafted last year who are immediate fits.

From the 2017 draft, both high end American players Swankler and Afanasyev were dealt as part of packages for OA stars. Trevor Kuntar is having a good year in the USHL but has a Harvard commitment. The rest of the class is likely to stick in Jr. A.

One other possible wild card would be a player with a similar situation as Merrick Rippon a few years back- Josh Barnes playing in Cornwall who was an early second rounder with Owen Sound last year and who has a PSU commitment. With the high end draft prospects on this team for next year, maybe he is persuaded to accept a deal to Ottawa as it would seem that he wants to stay local. He was rated by most services as a first round talent in last year's draft and would easily slot in the team's top 3 lines.

DEFENCE

Bahl-Rippon
Okhotyuk-Rippon
Belanger-Peric
OPEN

Anthony Costantini, a 6th round pick in last year's draft is having a good year but it is playing with younger players in Midget AAA. From the 2017 draft both Gavin Wood and Bruce Coltart are having respectable seasons in the CCHL

GOALIES

Andree
Cranley

We should be set for the next two years with this solid duo.

OBSERVATIONS

The Goalie and Defence situations will be amongst the top teams in the league.

It seems that the Forward group is a little bit light. They could try to add an OA in the offseason like a Greg Meireles. Another option would be to trade Nikita Okhotyuk before the Import draft and trust that Andre Tourigny can work his Import draft magic to draft a high end European player looking for scouting exposure with Rossi/Quinn/Tolnai. A team that has two Import player openings like Sudbury would probably jump at the opportunity to gain a 19 year old in Okthotyuk with two years of OHL experience.

They did a great job in holding onto their five selections in the top three rounds. If things remained status quo, there would be at a minimum three openings for their top two round selections and a shot for one of their third rounders to stick as well.

It will be interesting to see if next year's team can develop as well as this year's team. With the OHL hosting the Mem Cup in 2021, maybe it makes sense to trade the graduating players next year to load up for 2021. If one of Kitchener/London/Windsor get to host, the Eastern Conference winner may automatically qualify if the Western host team wins their conference. The good news is that there are more bright years ahead after a very well managed deadline.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Now that the dust has settled on the trade deadline I thought that it would be fun to try to project next year's lineup.

Working on a few assumptions:
1) Chmelevski, Dipietro, Kody Clark and Hoefenmayer all go pro;
2) The imports remain the same.

FORWARDS

Keating-Rossi-Clarke
Bitten-Hoelscher-Quinn
Maggio-Tolnai-Yule
Crete-OPEN-OPEN
Dick

From last year's draft, it would be great to see the team sign 4th rounder Colby Ambrosio, who they have mentioned several times as a prospect sign in the offseason. There don't appear to be any other players drafted last year who are immediate fits.

From the 2017 draft, both high end American players Swankler and Afanasyev were dealt as part of packages for OA stars. Trevor Kuntar is having a good year in the USHL but has a Harvard commitment. The rest of the class is likely to stick in Jr. A.

One other possible wild card would be a player with a similar situation as Merrick Rippon a few years back- Josh Barnes playing in Cornwall who was an early second rounder with Owen Sound last year and who has a PSU commitment. With the high end draft prospects on this team for next year, maybe he is persuaded to accept a deal to Ottawa as it would seem that he wants to stay local. He was rated by most services as a first round talent in last year's draft and would easily slot in the team's top 3 lines.

DEFENCE

Bahl-Rippon
Okhotyuk-Rippon
Belanger-Peric
OPEN

Anthony Costantini, a 6th round pick in last year's draft is having a good year but it is playing with younger players in Midget AAA. From the 2017 draft both Gavin Wood and Bruce Coltart are having respectable seasons in the CCHL

GOALIES

Andree
Cranley

We should be set for the next two years with this solid duo.

OBSERVATIONS

The Goalie and Defence situations will be amongst the top teams in the league.

It seems that the Forward group is a little bit light. They could try to add an OA in the offseason like a Greg Meireles. Another option would be to trade Nikita Okhotyuk before the Import draft and trust that Andre Tourigny can work his Import draft magic to draft a high end European player looking for scouting exposure with Rossi/Quinn/Tolnai. A team that has two Import player openings like Sudbury would probably jump at the opportunity to gain a 19 year old in Okthotyuk with two years of OHL experience.

They did a great job in holding onto their five selections in the top three rounds. If things remained status quo, there would be at a minimum three openings for their top two round selections and a shot for one of their third rounders to stick as well.

It will be interesting to see if next year's team can develop as well as this year's team. With the OHL hosting the Mem Cup in 2021, maybe it makes sense to trade the graduating players next year to load up for 2021. If one of Kitchener/London/Windsor get to host, the Eastern Conference winner may automatically qualify if the Western host team wins their conference. The good news is that there are more bright years ahead after a very well managed deadline.
Good summary! Just wanted to add that another player from last years draft that would fit in right away is Dylan Peterson from the US program. I agree would be great to get Meireless for next year.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Gareffa was playing forward, but I think his natural position is defense. On the Kitchener boards, someone mentioned he preferred playing defense.

Yeah, he plays both but I think it's assumed (or outright confirmed) that he prefers playing D. Started as a F but then transitioned to D.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
So, we know what the deal is this season. Clearly we didn’t go “all in” but we did part with quite a few assets:

Six 2nds
One 3rd
One 13th
Egor Afanaseyev (or a 2nd and two 3rds if he doesn’t report)
Austin Swankler (or a 2nd if he doesn’t report)
Shaw Boomhower

We bring in:
G - Mikey DiPietro
LW - Kyle Maksimovich
LW - Lucas Chiodo
Two 4ths

I have heard it is likely Afeanaseyev signs this week with Windsor. So it looks like we will retain those picks. I am not sure about Swankler.

That is a lot of draft capital shipped out. I know Afanaseyev and Swankler were not reporting but we did use a pick on both (3rd and 5th I believe).

Clearly with that much going out, Boyd has made a serious push this year. It is very likely this is the year we win a Championship or pretty much die trying. I don’t believe we have the assets next year to make as serious a push as we have made this year. Therefore, it looks a lot more like next year will see a minor selloff while still remaining competitive.

I could see Okhotyuk traded prior to the next Import draft to make room for another Import with a better age. I can also see Bahl being traded.

We do have a significant number of decent 2000 born potential OA’s for a 2021 run and potential Memorial Cup bid.

A potential roster for the season after next:

???-Rossi-Quinn
Bitten (OA)-Tolnai-Clarke
????-Crete-Maggio

Rippon (OA)-Peric
Belanger-???
???-???

Andree (OA)
Cranley

If the current crop of players develop the way we see them tracking right now, that leaves us with only four key positions to fill. We’d have an Import spot as well as a first and two 2nds next year plus any additional return we’d get trading off 2000’s next season. Plus another first and two 2nds prior to that season. So six significant picks plus any flyers from the 3rd round on that may impress.

I say that could be another solid spot to be in considering how good our drafting has been. That also doesn’t take into account the possibility of US Commits signing.

Reactions: sirius67fan

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
You think they will trade Keating? I think he returns as an OA.

And pure speculation on your part on Ottawa making a bid in 2021, or has that been discussed elsewhere?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You think they will trade Keating? I think he returns as an OA.

And pure speculation on your part on Ottawa making a bid in 2021, or has that been discussed elsewhere?

Keating plays as an OA next year. The roster I posted is for the following year.

Regarding the Memorial Cup bid, just speculation. They did come close to submitting a bid for the last one. They may try again,although I am pretty sure if Oshawa has a decent team, they will win the bid.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
Keating plays as an OA next year. The roster I posted is for the following year.

Regarding the Memorial Cup bid, just speculation. They did come close to submitting a bid for the last one. They may try again,although I am pretty sure if Oshawa has a decent team, they will win the bid.
I think it might be between the "...awa's" for 2021. To me it looks like Ottawa is setting up for a bid, hence the reason they did not go all in this year and refused to trade the rookies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looking at both next year and the 2021 team I think that Ottawa will be looking for the best D in the draft and if they can get 2 so much better but definitely the best D.

I do not see Okhotyuk being traded as he is a good D and with where we're going to be picking if we did we are not going to get a hell of a lot unless there is a hidden gem.

Looking at this year I would say the loser at the trade deadline was Bitten he goes from being on the 2nd line down to the 4th.
For the team that is a good thing not so sure for him.

OMG

I like your choice but have to disagree with one spot Rossi. If he is as good as the scouts say I think he may not be here in 21. I think we may have a good team but it will depend on this years draft more than anything.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looking at the differences between Niagara and us the biggest one is that we have 3 goalies in the top 10 in GAA and save percentage. Niagara is riding Dhillon which t me is suicide.

The first lines are pretty even it is going to be the 3rd lines and goaltenders that make the difference. Personally i think Niagara screwed up not getting a back up that can play some minutes.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Looking at both next year and the 2021 team I think that Ottawa will be looking for the best D in the draft and if they can get 2 so much better but definitely the best D.

I do not see Okhotyuk being traded as he is a good D and with where we're going to be picking if we did we are not going to get a hell of a lot unless there is a hidden gem.

Looking at this year I would say the loser at the trade deadline was Bitten he goes from being on the 2nd line down to the 4th.
For the team that is a good thing not so sure for him.

OMG

I like your choice but have to disagree with one spot Rossi. If he is as good as the scouts say I think he may not be here in 21. I think we may have a good team but it will depend on this years draft more than anything.

You may be right on all counts. That’s the variability of projection two years out.

Rossi - I think he is a great player but I am not sure he will make the jump. It is less likely as not many players do.

Okhotyuk/Import - This would depend if we had anyone lined up and what the trade value would be. Don’t forget, we may be able to get a real asset or solid picks for him. So, it isn’t just about the Import we pick.

Hoelscher - I project he will graduate but he is lined up for an OA year that season. He may be a bubble candidate.

I agree about the defense. I still think they pick best available in the first round but 2nd round is probably defense. They won’t play year one but if they can get a couple good solid defenders out of a poor draft, that would be good.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Looking at the differences between Niagara and us the biggest one is that we have 3 goalies in the top 10 in GAA and save percentage. Niagara is riding Dhillon which t me is suicide.

The first lines are pretty even it is going to be the 3rd lines and goaltenders that make the difference. Personally i think Niagara screwed up not getting a back up that can play some minutes.
They did in McGrath

Reactions: Drop the Puck

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Anxious to see the team and new additions this week end. Especially saturday as with Chem back we should have a full line up for the first time since november.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->