Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
OMG I realize you haven't had a chance to look at it in depth. I for one am a bit puzzled by Oshawa's moves. Consider this. For this year barring other moves they acquired Salinitri, Saigeon, Neuman( not the one from Seinfeld), Mattinen and Moore, They gave up Henderson,wong Brassard and Studnicka. So are they better? Imo slightly better but unlikely to put them over the top. Then next year they lose the 3 OA's they have acquired, 4 99's ( they have 7) and big one Keyser. They gain Neuman, a great add, and Moore who I agree will be very good but is unlikely to be dominant as a 17 y.o. D. So are they better next year? Not so sure as losing Keyser is huge. So do these moves put them over the top next year, not as of now imo. Argument can be made he will upgrade next year but Hunt has depleted his draft board. By my count with player trades and the pick trade with Ottawa they acquired 4 seconds, 3 thirds but gave up 7 seconds and 3 thirds. So they lost 4 seconds. Now i know they had a pretty good draft board before all this but it won't be as good now and will limit moves next year. I would submit that in the end the moves might be mostly lateral for both years and although the gens are gonna be very good the next two years they might have spread things too much to be great in one.

I would argue that the Gens improved significantly for this season and (Moore) going forward. Salintri, Mattinen, & Saigeon is a big improvement on Commissio, Brassard, & Henderson. Add that to the duration of Neumann & Moore for Studnicka & Wong, the gain is enough that I don’t even care to count the picks.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I would argue that the Gens improved significantly for this season and (Moore) going forward. Salintri, Mattinen, & Saigeon is a big improvement on Commissio, Brassard, & Henderson. Add that to the duration of Neumann & Moore for Studnicka & Wong, the gain is enough that I don’t even care to count the picks.
OK but do you honestly believe its enough for a championship in either year?

Reactions: NorthernVoice

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG I realize you haven't had a chance to look at it in depth. I for one am a bit puzzled by Oshawa's moves. Consider this. For this year barring other moves they acquired Salinitri, Saigeon, Neuman( not the one from Seinfeld), Mattinen and Moore, They gave up Henderson,wong Brassard and Studnicka. So are they better? Imo slightly better but unlikely to put them over the top. Then next year they lose the 3 OA's they have acquired, 4 99's ( they have 7) and big one Keyser. They gain Neuman, a great add, and Moore who I agree will be very good but is unlikely to be dominant as a 17 y.o. D. So are they better next year? Not so sure as losing Keyser is huge. So do these moves put them over the top next year, not as of now imo. Argument can be made he will upgrade next year but Hunt has depleted his draft board. By my count with player trades and the pick trade with Ottawa they acquired 4 seconds, 3 thirds but gave up 7 seconds and 3 thirds. So they lost 4 seconds. Now i know they had a pretty good draft board before all this but it won't be as good now and will limit moves next year. I would submit that in the end the moves might be mostly lateral for both years and although the gens are gonna be very good the next two years they might have spread things too much to be great in one.

It’s all based on perspective and motivation.

IMO
1> The Gens were going nowhere fast this season. They were much better on paper than the ice. I believe these deals may shake that tree up enough to make a positive difference. Either way, it doesn;t matter because /i don’t see them getting out of round two no matter what they did. That said, Keyser is very strong and he cou;d win a series under the right circumstances.
2> I dont like Brassard much. They replaced him withNoore who I believe is almost as good now. Maybe a stretch but that’s how little I think of Brassard.
3> Neumann is a huge add for them. He returns next year as an OA.
4> Saigeon easily replaces Studnicka. IMO, Saigeon is a better player than Studnicka right now.
5> They can replace Keyser with a Euro next year
6> They are going to bid next year for the 2021 Memorial Cup. They need something tangible for that team and part of that is proven success. It is hard for them to throw in the towel this year and keep those picks and surrender and gain credibility.

I think one of the biggest things for Oshawa is their willingness to juggle.

I have them down two 2nds and a 4th vs staying status quo. I think they get a couple 10ths though....or something similar. They’ll pay more than that next year for a player like Neumann as an OA add so they are ahead of the game IMO plus they have him this year, not to mention Moore.

I think at the end of the day, they couldn’t justify being a seller. They were too strong. They would have had to add. So, they did add. Each of their OA positions were upgraded. You could argue Neumann and Studnicka are reasonably similar enough. Then toss Moore into the mix going forward. To me, they are clearly a better team than they were two weeks ago hands down.

Regarding Guelph, any team can simply puke away all their picks and players. They took advantage of Guelph at the end which is good for them but overall they are ina. One year push.

Heck, if Ottawa wanted to puke away all their picks and players they could’ve had a guy like Suzuki on the 4th line and Hoefenmeyer running shotgun with Phillips on the 3rd pairing! IT doesn’t take a genius to do that. I think for OShawa to draw up a pan to get better this year, better next year and add a cornerstone D-Man for a Memorial Cup bid and only be down two 2nds is a major coup.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The important thing is that the team imo, is better now and later; and, improves the Gens chances of having the winning bid for the next time ON hosts the memorial cup.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG do you have a ranking on how teams did in the transfer window (realise it's not quite finished) I assume Guelph would be #1, where would you put the 67's.

I’ll take a stab:

#1 - Oshawa Generals
They managed to improve this year, improve next year and add a cornerstone 16 year old D-man at an vernal cost of two 2nds and a couple 4ths.

#2 - Guelph Storm
They manage to get rid of some headaches in Merylee and Bertuzzi and add some tremendous players. The Suzuki-Durzi trade puts them over the top for sure. In most years Guelph would be the hands down winner but I just really like the ingenuity of what the Generals did

#3 - Ottawa 67’s
They picked up DiPietro and two high value OA’s and didn’t trade a roster player. Most said they had no chance of doing that but they still managed it. Great for them. IT also shows loyalty to their players and that may be a big boost for recruitment going forward

#4 - Kingston
They did really well with the Robertson trade. The Neumann trade was pretty solid. I will hold back for now because they still have Vilardi. It will be interesting to see what transpires tomorrow, if anything. If they manage to deal him for a decent package, they may shoot up this list.

#5 - Owen Sound
I would have had Owen Sound at #3 if not for the poor return for Suzuki. In a tough market while holding a lot of desirable players, Degray managed to ship them all out. That is impressive.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I get what you are saying. IT is almost like they made a lot of trades but sat on the fence.

I just think you are not looking at it from their motivational standpoint. They don’t want to throw in the towel and sell off and they don’t want to dump a ton of assets on the market trying to improve in a season where they clearly weren’t going to win anyway. Their priority is next year and memorial Cup bid first. But competitive juices and reasonable trade values motivated them to not simply throw in the towel this year.

Reactions: dirty12

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I get what you are saying. IT is almost like they made a lot of trades but sat on the fence.

I just think you are not looking at it from their motivational standpoint. They don’t want to throw in the towel and sell off and they don’t want to dump a ton of assets on the market trying to improve in a season where they clearly weren’t going to win anyway. Their priority is next year and memorial Cup bid first. But competitive juices and reasonable trade values motivated them to not simply throw in the towel this year.
I get what you are saying too but I do have a question as I don't understand something. We may agree or disagree on the effect of their moves this year and next ultimatly. I think we can agree they have a very good team the next two years. What I do not understand is the memorial cup argument. This is for 2021 from what you are saying. If Oshawa bids I believe they need to show they will have a contending team that year. So yes they will have Moore and Tullio in their prime. But Noel, McShane, Neumann, Antropov, Vallati etc are gone. So I don't get that argument. Am I missing something.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I get what you are saying too but I do have a question as I don't understand something. We may agree or disagree on the effect of their moves this year and next ultimatly. I think we can agree they have a very good team the next two years. What I do not understand is the memorial cup argument. This is for 2021 from what you are saying. If Oshawa bids I believe they need to show they will have a contending team that year. So yes they will have Moore and Tullio in their prime. But Noel, McShane, Neumann, Antropov, Vallati etc are gone. So I don't get that argument. Am I missing something.

You are missing all the moves they can make next year. In a sellers market, they can remain competitive and still sell a couple players. Hell, they may be able to make the same series of moves they made this year!

Moore goes a long way towards achieving that balance. Antropov is a probable OA.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
You are missing all the moves they can make next year. In a sellers market, they can remain competitive and still sell a couple players. Hell, they may be able to make the same series of moves they made this year!

Moore goes a long way towards achieving that balance. Antropov is a probable OA.
Thanks for yout answer but still not sold on the logic of their moves. Seems like a circuitous way to do things. Ah well heck I'm just a fan. Good night.

Reactions: three dog night

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OK the dust has settled.

Ottawa needed at the beginning fo the year

a top-flight goalie CHECK
depth at forward CHECK
size and strength NOPE
PP point man maybe let us see what Tourigny does

I think that overall Boyd and Tourigny did what they needed to do.

Looking at the other teams and especially Niagara it will be interesting but I think we are in a better place.

London, SSM made little moves as well and will still be hard to bet

I am not sure that the other changes will help Guelph may have the best shot but i am not sure.

Thoughts anyone?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OK the dust has settled.

depth at forward CHECK
size and strength NOPE

Looking at the other teams and especially Niagara it will be interesting but I think we are in a better place.

I am not sure that the other changes will help Guelph may have the best shot but i am not sure.

Thoughts anyone?

Deadline is Noon tomorrow. Dust still circling....

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Thanks for yout answer but still not sold on the logic of their moves. Seems like a circuitous way to do things. Ah well heck I'm just a fan. Good night.

TIme will tell. I was not sure they’d make it out of round one staying status quo.

The only other option was to leave Saigeon and Mattinen out there and keep the picks. If they had done that, would that have changed your mind?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Still room for a Meireles?

I can't see it. His acquisition at this point would drop Hoelscher down to a 4th line role.

I'd like the depth but the amount he'd play would probably not be worth the cost. If it were a 2nd and 3rd, maybe, but he's worth much more than that with the OA season next year. He's worth more to Kitchener to be honest.

Love to have him though.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
TIme will tell. I was not sure they’d make it out of round one staying status quo.

The only other option was to leave Saigeon and Mattinen out there and keep the picks. If they had done that, would that have changed your mind?
Well to me would make their strategy more logical as they would have the ammo to really go all in next year.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
OK the dust has settled.

depth at forward CHECK
size and strength NOPE

Thoughts anyone?
Still today Beast, I think there will be another minor move...just a feeling.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Ottawa did well sticking to the expressed game plan but have they done enough? Still think they need some help offensively from the blue line. Are they done now?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well to me would make their strategy more logical as they would have the ammo to really go all in next year.

That’s a very fair opinion. A straight forward way if doing things. It’s what sellers generally do. It’s what Ottawa has done the last couple years.

I just like the way they improved this year and next. It is an innovative approach and I appreciate it.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
That’s a very fair opinion. A straight forward way if doing things. It’s what sellers generally do. It’s what Ottawa has done the last couple years.

I just like the way they improved this year and next. It is an innovative approach and I appreciate it.
I'll give you that its a different/creative way to approach the deadline rather than an all in/out approach. If Oshawa manages to win a championship in the next two years ,which is certainly possible, I'll have to give credit to Hunt.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Who says no:

Ottawa trades Mitch Hoelscher + 2019 3rd rounder + 2020 3rd rounder
Kitchner trades Joey Gareffa and Greg Meireles

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Who says no:

Ottawa trades Mitch Hoelscher + 2019 3rd rounder + 2020 3rd rounder
Kitchner trades Joey Gareffa and Greg Meireles

Is this an actual deal or hypothetical?

I’d do it if it is hypothetical.

EDIT: Why did I think Gareffa was a D-Man? Scratch that last answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->