Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
The one thing that all of their acquisitions have had in common is they come from teams who have made good playoff runs. If we take them at their word that they are looking to add an experience, depth type of player there are a number of 19 year olds that come to mind:
Christopher Cameron Barrie
Jakob Brahaney Kingston
Jacob Golden London
Ryan Wells Mississauga
Brady Lyle Owen Sound
Nick Grima Sarnia
Thomas Stevenson Windsor

They are all different types of players with obviously large variances in their trade values but all line up as players whose teams may not necessarily need them back as Overagers.

I'm guessing we can take Golden out of there since London is going for it. Interesting list though.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Can someone explain how cards work? For example, London has dealt a couple players out. Why doesn't that allow them to trade for another player? I assume when you trade a player you still don't gain that slot. So how can you get card space?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Can someone explain how cards work? For example, London has dealt a couple players out. Why doesn't that allow them to trade for another player? I assume when you trade a player you still don't gain that slot. So how can you get card space?

Start of League year resets these for the upcoming season, I believe. They used up all 30 this year doesn't matter how many players they trade. If I am mistaken feel free to correct me.

Reactions: aresknights

three dog night

May 3, 2014
As in overpaid significantly more that any other teams in the league.

Nick Suzuki is a far better player than Jason Robertson and he cost Guelph less than half of what Robertson cost Barrie.

Mackenzie Entwistle may be better than Jack Studnicka and he cost less than half.
Guelph traded three players plus picks to Owen Sound I maws always under the impression Studekia the best all round player in the OHL I think Robertson a pure goal scorer Suzuki is good but when we played Owen Sound we kept him in check see if we can do that tomorrow night when Guelph comes to town. Entwistle is good

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The one thing that all of their acquisitions have had in common is they come from teams who have made good playoff runs. If we take them at their word that they are looking to add an experience, depth type of player there are a number of 19 year olds that come to mind:
Christopher Cameron Barrie
Jakob Brahaney Kingston
Jacob Golden London
Ryan Wells Mississauga
Brady Lyle Owen Sound
Nick Grima Sarnia
Thomas Stevenson Windsor

They are all different types of players with obviously large variances in their trade values but all line up as players whose teams may not necessarily need them back as Overagers.
Good research work Bpole. I guess the problem I see is Tourigny said he'd like a guy willing to accept a 7th D role. If I'm 19 I want to play. Its gonna be hard to find a quality guy (better than Belanger at this point) to accept that role.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

I believe once a card is burned it's burned. If you trade a player his card goes with him but it doesn't open one up for you. The only way you get new cards is a new season. Not like Jr A/B where you can buy them.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I believe once a card is burned it's burned. If you trade a player his card goes with him but it doesn't open one up for you. The only way you get new cards is a new season. Not like Jr A/B where you can buy them.
You can only sign 30 players all year. Once they are signed the card is used up. If a player leaves for any reason their card is lost. It does not travel with the player and if they go to a new team that team has to sign them to a new card that they must have available. There is some alternatives with using players on B cards but that only gets you 10 games or until the team they play with is out for the season. New for me is there seems to be a rule where you can bring players in from the pro leagues if reassigned even if you have no cards open. Player would have to be on your 50 man list before the deadline though.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
First, I'll say I'm not sure if they're done (maybe add a depth D-man), but I find it creative that Boyd and Tourigny said they wouldn't move a roster player (and they didn't... yet!) but an actual live body was included in each deal.

Neither Afanasyev nor Swankler were ever going to report and I have no idea what the Boomhower situation is.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
CARDS as I understand it:

Each team gets 50 cards to start the season but only 30 of them are designated for their playing roster. So, up to 20 additional players can be signed to “B” cards.

An example of a “B” Card player would be Belanger or Crete. I am not sure what they are signed to but for arguements sake let’s just say they are “B” Card players.

A “B” card player can play up to 10 games in the regular season and remain on their “B” Card; however, they can play additional games during the Christmas break that do not count towards their 10 game maximum. I am not sure what the dates are for that window.

Once the “B” card player’s affiliate team has been eliminated from playoff competition, they can be called up to the Major Junior club for the remainder of the season.

So, Belanger is a good example of a player likely to be a “B” card player. This may be a reason why we only dressed 5 D-Men at times, so they can protect his “B” Card status. Same with guys like the two Tourigny’s and Dick.

You only get 30 cards for your active roster. You don’t want to needlessly burn those spots. This is why a guy like Sirman played two games and was released. He was released prior to the NHL season starting and that is the time when players are officially assigned to cards. They don’t penalize teams by making them use cards on temporary players while guys are at NHL camps.

So, to recap:

50 total cards
30 active roster cards
“B” players can play 10 games plus addition games under certain circumstances
Cards are not transferred or renewed during the season and you cannot purchase or trade for more.

EDIT:
I forgot about one other scenario. If a team has a player skating in the NHL but has exhausted all of their cards, the player being sent down can still be added to their roster. For example, the Los Angeles Kings have Gabe Vilardi. The Kingston Frontenacs have used all 30 of their cards. LA can send Vilardi back and it would not affect their situation.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’ll take a stab at the new lineup:

Keating-Rossi-Felhaber
Maksimovich-Chmelevski-Clark
Chiodo-Hoelscher-Quinn
Bitten-Tolnai-Clarke
Yule & Maggio

Hoefenmeyer-Bahl
Okhotyuk-Rippon
Peric-Wilson

DiPietro
Andree
Cranley

Even though Belanger is a depth guy, I think he will remain on his affiliate team. They will acquire a depth D-Man to replace Rippon while he is injured and then he will be the #7 guy. Belanger will only come up in extreme injury situations.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Agreed. Additional help on D is needed. More offence from the back end and pp help would be good. Thought Durzi was the guy. Now still have a need and picks to do it.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Thanks to everyone who responded to my cards question. I feel much more clear on it now than I did before!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agreed. Additional help on D is needed. More offence from the back end and pp help would be good. Thought Durzi was the guy. Now still have a need and picks to do it.

Yeah, it doesn’t look to me like they are going to acquire additional offensive help from the blueline. They’d have done that with an OA for sure.

That said, ETA said a while back that the presence of a slick D-Man doesn’t necessarily improve the powerplay. They need to develop a better overall system and have players that suit that PP setup. I believe they have been getting better at using their current system and ETA may have a very strong point with respect to that. Sure, a slick D-Men would help spread the box open more but it shouldn’t matter too much if they are working the puck the way their team is constructed.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Guelph traded three players plus picks to Owen Sound I maws always under the impression Studekia the best all round player in the OHL I think Robertson a pure goal scorer Suzuki is good but when we played Owen Sound we kept him in check see if we can do that tomorrow night when Guelph comes to town. Entwistle is good

My point regarding Niagara is very simple. They trade dtoo darned much in both deals.

I believe both of their major deals were based on pricing from previous years. Based on those prices, I believe they traded one too many 2nd rounders in the Robertson deal. If you adjust it to today’s prices, they paid way too much.

For the Oshawa deal, to part with that many picks in addition to Moore is obcene. Parting with Moore was obcene to be honest. The deals they made were the same sorts of deals made in sellers markers but that isn’t the reality this year.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
OMG do you have a ranking on how teams did in the transfer window (realise it's not quite finished) I assume Guelph would be #1, where would you put the 67's.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Notable notables: one thing that I can assure 67’s fans but I am too lazy to crank out the numbers. My observations as a Seasons ticket holder who always cheers for the visiting team. I have seen a lot of the Barrie Colts over the past three years, and, Lucas Chiodo is an Ice Dogs killer. The kid loves scoring goals here in Niagara.

Just saying, good pickup, uses his size to his advantage. Kids loves to play hockey and it shows.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG do you have a ranking on how teams did in the transfer window (realise it's not quite finished) I assume Guelph would be #1, where would you put the 67's.

I’d have to really take a strong look but I dont think Guelph wins the deadline. I think Oshawa does. They may not have made the best deals to suit their needs this season but for them to make deals to be better this season AND next is very difficult and well done.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Notable notables: one thing that I can assure 67’s fans but I am too lazy to crank out the numbers. My observations as a Seasons ticket holder who always cheers for the visiting team. I have seen a lot of the Barrie Colts over the past three years, and, Lucas Chiodo is an Ice Dogs killer. The kid loves scoring goals here in Niagara.

Just saying, good pickup, uses his size to his advantage. Kids loves to play hockey and it shows.

They've never won you over as a fan? I would hate doing that, but to each their own.

Reactions: Drop the Puck

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
They've never won you over as a fan? I would hate doing that, but to each their own.
If you live in Toronto and cheer for the leafs your entire life, then, decide to move to Montreal, do you then become a Hans fan or do you continue to be a Leafs fan.
Oh well, to each their own.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Strange eh? Buys season tickets at centre ice, just under the owners box. Buys and wears IceDogs gear to the games but comes on the boards and trolls them every chance he gets. Stinky thing to do.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Strange eh? Buys season tickets at centre ice, just under the owners box. Buys and wears IceDogs gear to the games but comes on the boards and trolls them every chance he gets. Stinky thing to do.
I spent $10 on a playoff T-shirt, lol.
Gave me a rash lol.

Reactions: fishfan51

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I’d have to really take a strong look but I dont think Guelph wins the deadline. I think Oshawa does. They may not have made the best deals to suit their needs this season but for them to make deals to be better this season AND next is very difficult and well done.
OMG I realize you haven't had a chance to look at it in depth. I for one am a bit puzzled by Oshawa's moves. Consider this. For this year barring other moves they acquired Salinitri, Saigeon, Neuman( not the one from Seinfeld), Mattinen and Moore, They gave up Henderson,wong Brassard and Studnicka. So are they better? Imo slightly better but unlikely to put them over the top. Then next year they lose the 3 OA's they have acquired, 4 99's ( they have 7) and big one Keyser. They gain Neuman, a great add, and Moore who I agree will be very good but is unlikely to be dominant as a 17 y.o. D. So are they better next year? Not so sure as losing Keyser is huge. So do these moves put them over the top next year, not as of now imo. Argument can be made he will upgrade next year but Hunt has depleted his draft board. By my count with player trades and the pick trade with Ottawa they acquired 4 seconds, 3 thirds but gave up 7 seconds and 3 thirds. So they lost 4 seconds. Now i know they had a pretty good draft board before all this but it won't be as good now and will limit moves next year. I would submit that in the end the moves might be mostly lateral for both years and although the gens are gonna be very good the next two years they might have spread things too much to be great in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad