Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts | Part II

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ryan was on TSN1200 today.

Was asked about Brassard and talked about playing with him spcifically then starting talking abotu the affect he can have on Mac.

Not that this is a surprise, but interesting to hear it from him. Sounds like they were definitely told that theyd be a line going into camp.

Brassard already confirmed this

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
So with the third concussion, I'm going to go ahead and assume that Mac is done for the season and possible his career.

Does Matt Puempel get to take his spot on the second line?

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Puempel-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Pyatt-Kelly-Neil
Dzingel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So with the third concussion, I'm going to go ahead and assume that Mac is done for the season and possible his career.

Does Matt Puempel get to take his spot on the second line?

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Puempel-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Lazar
Pyatt-Kelly-Neil
Dzingel

once lazar is back, looks good enough to me. puempel's big chance. use it or lose it.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
So beyond Hoffman and Smith, what is our depth chart for LW

Pyatt, Paul, Dzingel, Puempel, Perron, McCormick. Two or three will now make it.

Going to say they take a hard look at

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Pyatt - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Lazar
Paul - Kelly - Neil
Dzingel

IF Puempel can accel, he needs to knock one of Pyatt, Paul or Dzingel to Binghamton in my opinion. I'm not sure he does.

IF Perron finds another gear, he might get a few of his 9 names to prove himself as well.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
So beyond Hoffman and Smith, what is our depth chart for LW

Pyatt, Paul, Dzingel, Puempel, Perron, McCormick. Two or three will now make it.

Going to say they take a hard look at

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Pyatt - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Lazar
Paul - Kelly - Neil
Dzingel

IF Puempel can accel, he needs to knock one of Pyatt, Paul or Dzingel to Binghamton in my opinion. I'm not sure he does.

IF Perron finds another gear, he might get a few of his 9 names to prove himself as well.

Perron is going to be in the AHL so it doesn't matter how many NHL games he plays.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
point taken. I think it make the Pyatt signing look a lot better at this point. and gives Paul a real shot at sticking.

Puempel has the table set for him now. There can be no excuses.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
With MacArthur out I think this will end up being the lines to start.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Dzingel - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Lazar
Puempel - Kelly - Neil
Paul

Of all the prospects and young guys we played last year, Dzingel impressed me the most with his speed and skill. He is not really ideal to have in the top 6, but maybe he can be a scorer with 2 good linemates.

Smith or Pageau are obviously better players and would be better as 2nd line LWer... But then we have a weak 3rd line instead of a good one.

I really like the idea of Tanguay on a PTO and maybe for $1.5-$2 mill on a one year deal if he he looks good. 22 goals 55 points two years ago. 0.5 ppg last year. He is 36 but he might have something in the tank and another savvy experienced vet is not a bad thing with little options to replace MacArthur available to sign.

Also would not mind getting Michalek back if Tanguay is not signed.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm guessing both Stone & Lazar should be okay by the start of the season, if not, I would guess that Dzingel & Paul could find themselves in the lineup. So far, the defence doesn't seem to have changed. I guess Karlsson will be at camp soon. :laugh:

Hoffman - Brassard - Ryan
Puempel - Turris - Stone
Smith - Pageau - Lazar
Pyatt - Kelly - Neil/Dzingel

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman/Bartkowski

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
With MacArthur out I think this will end up being the lines to start.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Dzingel - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Lazar
Puempel - Kelly - Neil
Paul

Of all the prospects and young guys we played last year, Dzingel impressed me the most with his speed and skill. He is not really ideal to have in the top 6, but maybe he can be a scorer with 2 good linemates.

Smith or Pageau are obviously better players and would be better as 2nd line LWer... But then we have a weak 3rd line instead of a good one.

I really like the idea of Tanguay on a PTO and maybe for $1.5-$2 mill on a one year deal if he he looks good. 22 goals 55 points two years ago. 0.5 ppg last year. He is 36 but he might have something in the tank and another savvy experienced vet is not a bad thing with little options to replace MacArthur available to sign.

Also would not mind getting Michalek back if Tanguay is not signed.

Boucher has already said Pyatt will be a main cog on our PK. He will be there over Paul or Dzingel, likely Paul.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
IMO, Puempel and Pyatt were the favorites to make the team as the 12th-13th forwards. Puempel would get Prince treatment to show the team something before they risk losing him to waivers and Pyatt would be favoured by the coach to fill a role he believed that we were lacking. The injuries guarantee both of these outcomes for me.

The other guys don't have a lot of AHL experience and the team may expect them to become more than they are now. Which means they'll benefit from the extra time.

Now it's just a matter of who takes another slot or two before guys come back. Dzingel and Paul seem like the best options, but Robinson might be the best RW.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Assuming no further injuries, and no miraculous recovery by MacArthur or trade/UFA signings, this appears to be what we'll head into the season with (imo).

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Puempel/Dzingel-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Robinson/whoever else we have that can play right wing if Lazar still has cooties.
Pyatt-Kelly-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Ceci-Phaneuf
Boro/Claesson/Bartkowski/UFA-Wideman

It's worth noting that Boucher has been known to give guys opportunities in the past; he's the one that put Conacher with Stamkos and St.Louis for example. I think he'll put one of the kids in MacArthur's place, rather than Smith.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I can see why pundits and posters on hf rate our top 6 so low. These are still show-me players. Hoffman has shown he can shoot to score, but can he sustain it, and is he a complete player? Turris had a terrible knee injury, so most won't remember his MTR line days, and many wouldn't consider him a top-tier 1st line centre anyway. Stone's reputation for having skating issues isn't gone, and his hockey i.q. isn't easily recognized outside of this fanbase. Who ever cheered for a takeaway leader?

Brassard's line... well, Ryan has to show that Brassard will help him put up more points.

I have faith in this group. But I can see how it looks like a basket of week-old fruit to the rest of the world.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I agree with your point, but I think Stone, Hoffman and Brassard are three guys that are really appreciated around the league. Having spoken to a couple of fans from different teams over the summer, those are the guys they usually point out.

Turris needs another 60 point season to "prove it" to everyone (especially after last year; most fans think he just wasn't good because of his stats, but don't know he was playing on one leg). And Ryan is someone most fans see as inconsistent, and people see he hasn't hit 25G here. So if Turris and Ryan get 60+ points this season then the entire league and the fanbases will respect our top 6 a lot, imo. Lots of people already do.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I can see why pundits and posters on hf rate our top 6 so low.

Sometimes I think that it's a shallow perspective. Those 5 guys have an excellent shot of being 31st-60th in scoring among forwards. That is excellent. In contrast, some of the groups you're mentioning would put a team like the Isles top-6 ahead. Why? Because they have Tavares. And what else? Who cares. Most people will only look at the very top of the pyramid and make superficial judgements about it.

Same with the prospect pool. A team that plays Lazar at 19yo and trades their 2014 for Ryan deserves to be 25th or whatever. But people are still parroting that... not realizing that because prospect pools are judged heavily based on recent 1st rounders, that many 1st rounders will graduate this season and Ottawa's 3 top guys will not... Ottawa will probably be ranked around 10th by the time the 2017 draft rolls around.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I can see why pundits and posters on hf rate our top 6 so low. These are still show-me players. Hoffman has shown he can shoot to score, but can he sustain it, and is he a complete player? Turris had a terrible knee injury, so most won't remember his MTR line days, and many wouldn't consider him a top-tier 1st line centre anyway. Stone's reputation for having skating issues isn't gone, and his hockey i.q. isn't easily recognized outside of this fanbase. Who ever cheered for a takeaway leader?

Brassard's line... well, Ryan has to show that Brassard will help him put up more points.

I have faith in this group. But I can see how it looks like a basket of week-old fruit to the rest of the world.

What is the measuring stick for sustainability? 3 years? 4 years?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Losing Mac sets us back again... We don't have the depth.

I'm praying Dzingel breaks out. He has the speed, IQ, vision and hands for it. Pair him with someone who plays high intensity like Brassard and it could work. If he does, it would be huge for this team.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard-Ryan

Hoffman Turris-Ryan
Dzingel-Brassard-Stone

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I'm praying Dzingel breaks out. He has the speed, IQ, vision and hands for it. Pair him with someone who plays high intensity like Brassard and it could work. If he does, it would be huge for this team.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard-Ryan

Hoffman Turris-Ryan
Dzingel-Brassard-Stone

I would take it but I'm pretty sure Smith or Puemple are more likely to fill that hole on the 2nd line

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Losing Mac sets us back again... We don't have the depth.

To be fair, Mac was definitely the weakest link in the top 6. If one Dzingel, Puemple, Paul or even Varone could break out for 35+ points, then we really aren't in that bad of shape.

Im betting that it's Puemple that solves our problem.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To be fair, Mac was definitely the weakest link in the top 6. If one Dzingel, Puemple, Paul or even Varone could break out for 35+ points, then we really aren't in that bad of shape.

IF one of those guys can fill in great. IMO A healthy Mac makes it no contest for good reason. So he may be the weakest link as you say but that does not mean we know if his production and game can be replaced. We now have a hole and its not sure we can fill it. We can hope and project players in there to perform above what they ever have but ... It remains a hole till those hopes and wishes come true.

I'll take the Puempel bet. He will get a shot... I don't think he succeeds in putting a hold on that spot.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

Ill take that bet, easily lol

Without Mac we need a top 6 forward via trade - its inevitable

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Ill take that bet, easily lol

Without Mac we need a top 6 forward via trade - its inevitable

Same, I hoped for a long time that Puempel would break out, and while still being young and having some good AHL stats, I just don't see it when I watch. Kid isn't very fast, he has a great shot but he's unable to make himself some space to take it off cause he doesn't have the hands to do so, he also isn't a very good passer nor does he have great vision.

My hope is on Dzingel, always impressed me more even if the stats aren't there. That being said, I agree with you, we really lack depth, been known for a while but eh, who are we.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I would take it but I'm pretty sure Smith or Puemple are more likely to fill that hole on the 2nd line

Doubt Puempel is any much of a guarantee on that spot than Dzingel as of right now. This opinion should be solidified tomorrow. Smith, you got a point there. But if Dzingel breaks out, him on that line would be far better of a threat than Smith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->