Confirmed with Link: Ottawa’s new ECHL affiliate; The Atlanta Gladiators

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good. More money into development is money well spent.

But...it would've been nice if it was closer to Ottawa. I assume it's in Atlanta because the entire division is in that geographic area?

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On

Atlanta seems like a really weird location for a Canadian affiliated ECHL team.

Far away from their NHL and AHL counterparts.

other than crossing the border (in COVID times) I do not see an issue ... around 1800kms driving but there is a major airport there

For reference the Leafs ECHL team is in St John's NFLD and that is 2680 kms

Plus there are flights from Ottawa to Atlanta (with a stop in MTL)

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Really good news, especially for our goalie prospects. We know where Gustavsson, Mandolese, and Søgaard will be playing now - either in Belleville or Atlanta rather than either Belleville or...scratched? This is big for them, and big for getting guys ice time in general.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Really good news, especially for our goalie prospects. We know where Gustavsson, Mandolese, and Søgaard will be playing now - either in Belleville or Atlanta rather than either Belleville or...scratched? This is big for them, and big for getting guys ice time in general.
If they didn't have an affiliate, they could just loan a player to another team if needed/agreed upon.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If they didn't have an affiliate, they could just loan a player to another team if needed/agreed upon.

Yes, but if it's not your affiliate, that team has no investment (or desire) to spend time trying to work with our prospects. They'll favor their own club team over a random loaned player. That's why it's important to have our own AHL and ECHL teams.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Yes, but if it's not your affiliate, that team has no investment (or desire) to spend time trying to work with our prospects. They'll favor their own club team over a random loaned player. That's why it's important to have our own AHL and ECHL teams.
No, fully agreed. Just saying in the worst case scenario, some team would probably end up needing a goalie and they could have loaned one out.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
other than crossing the border (in COVID times) I do not see an issue ... around 1800kms driving but there is a major airport there

The ATL is a huge air hub. Direct flights to all major markets. Easy to go from ATL to Toronto and then drive to Belleville.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: Cosmix

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
NHL and Bettman trying to rig up hockey interest back in Atlanta in an attempt to bring back the Thrashers. Smart move.

Wonder if Kovalchuk un-retires.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Very interesting - I live 2 hours away so this might be some extra incentive for me to visit Atlanta.

I don't know if you've been to an ECHL game before, but do not travel 2 hours both ways to watch it. It's not very good.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I think it makes a difference. Especially since they're unlikely to fly and more likely to drive for callups.

Even going from Binghamton to Belleville, I've heard countless times how much easier it is from people inside the organization.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I think it makes a difference. Especially since they're unlikely to fly and more likely to drive for callups.

Even going from Binghamton to Belleville, I've heard countless times how much easier it is from people inside the organization.
The ECHL only has two Canadian teams, so it's not really something that can be avoided.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The ECHL only has two Canadian teams, so it's not really something that can be avoided.

Don't teams get moved and created and fold fairly often?

I mean, get the team wherever you can, but I don't think it's something impossible to have a team in the north east US.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Don't teams get moved and created and fold fairly often?

I mean, get the team wherever you can, but I don't think it's something impossible to have a team in the north east US.
I don’t follow echl to know who’s affiliated with who. I’m sure they looked into the options. Not a big deal either way

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Melnyk's finally found the team to develop this guy.

x1080

Assen na yo!

Last edited:
Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The Allen Americans are the only other ECHL team without an NHL/AHL affiliation. That's not very close either.

JMACole

Jun 27, 2020
PEI
Both logos feature a ancient armoured man wearing a crested helmet. It’s a natural fit!

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I guess it's better for player morale to send them to a big city like Atlanta instead of some backwoods podunk.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
At the least that Gladiator guy has another gig, nice outfit too in this heat. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad