Proposal: OTT/WAS Signed Erik Karlsson (if Carlson walks)

Jun 15, 2007
So there's a rumour that the Caps were in on Karlsson the entire time and that the reason our Carlson isn't signed yet is because he was almost traded to Ottawa for their Karlsson.

Obviously that deal didn't happen. Caps first choice is still to re-sign Carlson but if he walks away in UFA, I think GMBM might make a play for Karlsson. Now I know the Sens want to package Ryan away as well in any Karlsson trade but I have to think that's just wishful thinking. Any team that wants Karlsson is a contender and no contender can take on Ryan's contract.

So here's the trade. It's modeled after Pronger's trade to Anaheim, which is the closest comparable I think (star defenseman wants out)

To OTT:

Washington 1st 2018 (31st)
Washington 1st 2019
Philipp Grubauer, G
Andre Burakovsky, F
Lucas Johansen, D (Capitals 2016 1st rounder)

To WAS:

Erik Karlsson (signed at 8x11)

Grubauer can be flipped to NYI/CAR for another first rounder or kept around to replace Anderson. So basically 4 1sts plus a good young roster player.

Karlsson is the best chance of the Caps repeating. Not only do they get the best defenseman in the NHL, they prevent any other potential rivals from getting him. Karlsson's extension would only kick in after next year when Orpik's contract is gone, so they actually have no cap problems.

Last edited:

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
So there's a rumour that the Caps were in on Karlsson the entire time and that the reason our Carlson isn't signed yet is because he was almost traded to Ottawa for their Karlsson.

Obviously that deal didn't happen. Caps first choice is still to re-sign Carlson but if he walks away in UFA, I think GMBM might make a play for Karlsson. Now I know the Sens want to package Ryan away as well in any Karlsson trade but I have to think that's just wishful thinking. Any team that wants Karlsson is a contender and no contender can take on Ryan's contract.

So here's the trade. It's modeled after Pronger's trade to Anaheim, which is the closest comparable I think (star defenseman wants out)

To OTT:

Washington 1st 2018 (31st)
Washington 1st 2019
Philipp Grubauer, G
Andrew Burakovsky, F
Lucas Johansen, D (Capitals 2016 1st rounder)

To WAS:

Erik Karlsson (signed at 8x11)

Grubauer can be flipped to NYI/CAR for another first rounder or kept around to replace Anderson. So basically 4 1sts plus a good young roster player.

Karlsson is the best chance of the Caps repeating. Not only do they get the best defenseman in the NHL, they prevent any other potential rivals from getting him. Karlsson's extension would only kick in after next year when Orpik's contract is gone, so they actually have no cap problems.
Like the idea. Not sure if that is enough for Karlsson though

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
That seems like a lot for Karlsson but he is the top D in the league. Basically giving up 2 definite first rounders, another potential 1st or couple of 2nd rounders in Grubauer when they flip him, a top 6 skilled forward and arguably our top D prospect at this time. If they don't take that they're crazy

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
It's crazy how Capitals might be able to actually let go of all those assets. Very interesting scenario.
They could use some of those future assets to send Ryan elsewhere, too, so that's another plus. Teams like Vancouver could be interested, just saying.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
WSH fan here, personally I think the value is decent, but I feel like there's other teams that would beat that offer for a signed Karlsson.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
If I'm Ottawa, I say no. Three very late 1st rounders, Burakovsky, and a backup goalie in exchange for the best defenseman in the league? I would want genuine high-end talent coming back, someone with definite 1st-line potential.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The Caps first this year is really a 2nd.

The Caps first next year is likely to be the same as with EK they would be a favourite.

Two former late first round picks who are underperforming.

A goalie who lasted 2 games in this post season and has an .835 sv % in all playoff games.

For a signed EK?

Thanks, but no thanks.

Reactions: MVP Tom Pyatt

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If the senators trade karlsson, I would imagine bobby Ryan goes with him, which in turn should see the senators receive less.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Other teams will top that value OR they'll take Ryan back as well.

It's far from the worst proposal I've seen, but it's also not enough for an extended EK (without cap dumps attached to him anyways).

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
OK lets breathe and think this through...

Karlsson is an amazing player. Caps are strapped on cash tho.

The REASON they may not sign John Carlson is....CASH. Erik Karlsson SIGNED would cost >>>John Carlson on a per year basis.

So the Caps can keep John Carlson, save cash and save the equivalent of 5 1st round picks.

Grubauer is a late 1st. 2 1st in proposal. Lucas Johanson is a 1st. Burakovsky could easily net a 1st.

So would the Caps rather have ...

Erik Karlsson

OR

John Carlson
$1-2 mil per year in cap space
5 1st round picks

The answer is pretty easy especially considering John Carlson is a home grown product. Makes little sense for the Caps and Ottawa already stated that Bobby Ryan needs to be attached to the deal pretty much.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
ROFL

If Carlson walks it's because they cannot afford him. I see no logic in the solution being a more expensive options that they have to give up assets to get.

Also the sign and trade aspect hurts the credibility even further since that is not an NHL thing. Many fans want it to be a thing and keep pretending it is, but it's not.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
If I'm Ottawa, I say no. Three very late 1st rounders, Burakovsky, and a backup goalie in exchange for the best defenseman in the league? I would want genuine high-end talent coming back, someone with definite 1st-line potential.

Gruby is a starting goalie, especially since he would be on Ottawa

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
OK lets breathe and think this through...

Karlsson is an amazing player. Caps are strapped on cash tho.

The REASON they may not sign John Carlson is....CASH. Erik Karlsson SIGNED would cost >>>John Carlson on a per year basis.

So the Caps can keep John Carlson, save cash and save the equivalent of 5 1st round picks.

Grubauer is a late 1st. 2 1st in proposal. Lucas Johanson is a 1st. Burakovsky could easily net a 1st.

So would the Caps rather have ...

Erik Karlsson

OR

John Carlson
$1-2 mil per year in cap space
5 1st round picks

The answer is pretty easy especially considering John Carlson is a home grown product. Makes little sense for the Caps and Ottawa already stated that Bobby Ryan needs to be attached to the deal pretty much.

The Caps need to obtain cap space to retain Carlson anyway. So, why not trade to free up space and the better d man in the process

The Caps would not lose anything because the Caps HAVE to trade others to be able to sign Carlson anyway

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's essentially five first rounders* for Karlsson, which is equivalent to what the Caps got in return for Scott Stevens when he signed an offer sheet with St. Louis. Seems like fair value. Obviously it's far from a direct analogue, but it's a very rough approximation.

*Burakovsky was a 1st rounder in 2013 and Grubauer can likely be traded for a first rounder

As a Caps fan, I'd rather trade less for an unsigned Karlsson (in this scenario with JC74 walks away). EK is still under contract for 2019, and the Caps window closes shortly after that as Backstrom, Ovechkin, and Holtby hit the ends of their contracts. I'm not saying that the Capitals wouldn't try to extend Karlsson afterwards, but that they'd deal with that problem when they get there rather than paying more upfront.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
That seems like a lot for Karlsson but he is the top D in the league. Basically giving up 2 definite first rounders, another potential 1st or couple of 2nd rounders in Grubauer when they flip him, a top 6 skilled forward and arguably our top D prospect at this time. If they don't take that they're crazy

Too much quantity, not enough quality for my liking.

Reactions: Sensung

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad