Claimed off Waivers: [OTT] Victor Mete claimed off waivers by the Senators from the Canadiens

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Truthfully, I've barely noticed him. I guess that can be a compliment for a defenseman but he's getting 12 minutes a game. I suppose he's been good in the minor role he's playing for the Sens but I wouldn't go further than that.

Reactions: biturbo19

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
He's had one good game. Besides that Mete has been ok at best. He is able to make a decent pass, which has made him an upgrade on what Sens had before.

Player who showed up last game could have a future with Ottawa, but before that he was clearly a #6 dman.

Reactions: Just Linda

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
He's had one good game. Besides that Mete has been ok at best. He is able to make a decent pass, which has made him an upgrade on what Sens had before.

Player who showed up last game could have a future with Ottawa, but before that he was clearly a #6 dman.

He always confused me as a player. You watch him skate with the puck and see his decent passing ability and you'd figure he'd rack up the assists at least. But he's a total ghost on the score sheet. Must be a hockey IQ thing

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

The thing he does really well is skating. He's fast and he's able to get to pucks quicker than forecheckers and he's also able to break out the puck. He's elusive so while he's small he doesn't get hit much. He doesn't use his shot very much from what I've noticed.

I don't hate him. He's a decent guy to have playing 3rd pair. He's probably playing better than Brannstrom to be honest. Brannstrom plays tougher minutes but he looks overwhelmed at times.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
He always confused me as a player. You watch him skate with the puck and see his decent passing ability and you'd figure he'd rack up the assists at least. But he's a total ghost on the score sheet. Must be a hockey IQ thing

From what I've seen is he just isn't good enough offensively or defensively to make much of an impact. He can skate well and make a decent pass, but apart from that it just doesn't seem like he offers much else. Can be solid, but also underwhelming. Size will always be an issue on the back end.

The thing he does really well is skating. He's fast and he's able to get to pucks quicker than forecheckers and he's also able to break out the puck. He's elusive so while he's small he doesn't get hit much. He doesn't use his shot very much from what I've noticed.

I don't hate him. He's a decent guy to have playing 3rd pair. He's probably playing better than Brannstrom to be honest. Brannstrom plays tougher minutes but he looks overwhelmed at times.

Brannstrom plays like a guy who is afraid of benched everytime he doesn't make a perfect play. Mete probably outplayed him last game, bout as far as I'd go there. Despite Brannstrom struggling on back end a bit I don't see how Mete can be considered better offensively. Since similar players both struggle with similar defensive issues.

Clearly this team is better with Mete/Brown as a 3rd pairing than pre trade deadline, but I dont think he is anything special. More indictment of the guys traded. I can't recall this team playing 3 straight competitive games this year let alone 5-6.

Reactions: shello

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Nice option for adding speed into a bottom pair...But not sure if there is really much more there TBH

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
He’s not a offensive black hole but he’s definitely not creative/skilled enough to create stuff on his own and be a powerplay guy. Like he won’t bungle the play but he won’t do anything spectacular either. It kinda limits his ability to push into a top 4 spot as he obviously lacks physical tools that could help him fill that role. He’s been getting some PP time and the difference between him and Brannstrom in being able to create opportunities is quite noticeable even though Brannstrom hasn’t exactly been racking up points himself.

He does make Sens games far more enjoyable to watch since he can reliably move the puck out of the dzone if he gains possession unlike the guys he replaced.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I don't understand why Habs dropped him. Couldn't they use a guy like him to skate the puck out of the zone instead of the slugs they currently have. All their D are pretty much one dimensional. Without Petry, it's all of the same.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't understand why Habs dropped him. Couldn't they use a guy like him to skate the puck out of the zone instead of the slugs they currently have. All their D are pretty much one dimensional. Without Petry, it's all of the same.

the coaching staff made a mistake in looking at the wrong thing imo. I'm not a big advanced stats guy, but on the Habs board there were posters pointing out how well Mete played when paired with Weber yet the coaching staff went against that and formed the Chiarot Weber pairing. I think many people would think that putting a guy like Chiarot on your top pairing is not a good idea to begin with. The numbers last year showed that Chiarot/Weber did not work that well and it's been even worse this year.

Add to that imo it was clear that Mete should not be used on his off-side. Yet the Habs continued to put him out there in the playoffs last year and this season despite him not looking nearly as solid as he does at LD. Granted he doesn't have the offensive skill to be more then a 5th or 6th type imo but still a better option for Weber then Chiarot. Since Chiarot returned, I saw the other day that they are a -15 yet what does the coaching staff do, keep on throwing them out there. Shows a lack of vision or being able to adjust imo.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Bergevin is on his last rope. He's been making terrible decisions all around.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I mean, this is the whole quandary with Mete. And why the Habs couldn't really get anything of "value" for him in trade. He skates well, and he can make a decent pass...but he's just really "filler". He's a guy who can play bottom-pairing minutes for you in a generally pretty uneventful way. Maybe get pushed around a bit physically in a rougher game. Which is fine, but it's not something that anybody is going to trade anything for.

It's the sort of player that even when you get him for "free" on waivers, you're probably always looking at ways to push him down the depth chart from #5/6 to #7/8, in favour of guys who can make more of an impact in some facet of the game, and handle a heavier physical contest.

I like Mete, but his size is a liability, and always will be...and the shooting threat is never gonna be there either. The lack of offense he generates...i don't know that i'd say it's really a "Hockey IQ" issue with him. Maybe a little bit. But more so, i think it's just a "mentality" issue. He kinda plays like a big 6'4" stay at home guy...trapped in a speedy, darting little guy's body. It gets him outmuscled defensively, because he doesn't have the mass and strength to engage that way physically and doesn't have the sort of coping strategies other more successful smaller D have when pressed to it. And it makes him a non-contributor at the offensive end of the ice.

I think he's kinda doomed to a career as a "journeyman" tweener defenceman. There are far worse things to be. But he's got exactly the sort of skillset to do what he has, in getting to the NHL fairly quickly...but then stalling out when there's really nothing more there.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Can't believe MTL let this guy go for FREE.
Maybe he needed a change of scenery but this is the type of guy the Habs NEED right now. He moves the puck up the ice as good, if not better than any of Ottawa's other D.
I'm guessing a change of scenery was necessary for him to thrive in the NHL, however, you have to think about what could of been if MTL gave him a longer leash.

Reactions: montreal

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Bergevin is on his last rope. He's been making terrible decisions all around.
like Anderson, Toffoli, Allen, Edmundson....

hes not perfect, but seemed to do more than any other GM did last off season. Ill keep saying, their problem today lies down the middle. It could be another 4 years before Suzuki and Kotkaniemi hit their prime, and same goes for Romanov and Caufield. Im confident we'll see a more competitive team then whether MB will still be in Montreal or not.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean to be fair he signed decent players to a dog shit roster he created. So they are left with a average team(being kind) that is so hard up against the cap that they can't even manage to call up their top prospect. So yes he made good moves in a vacuum this off season...but he clearly bought into the hype of his own team incorrectly.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012

hes not perfect, but seemed to do more than any other GM did last off season. Ill keep saying, their problem today lies down the middle. It could be another 4 years before Suzuki and Kotkaniemi hit their prime, and same goes for Romanov and Caufield. Im confident we'll see a more competitive team then whether MB will still be in Montreal or not.
this ^
in two years drouin , byron, tatar , weber , chariot and possibly price will be gone leaving something like
.............., suzuki , gallagher
toffoli, kk, caufield
.............., danault , anderson
poehling, evans , armia
romanov, ...............,
edmundson, petry
guhle, ................
1. ............, 1a. primeau
and 25?-35 million in cash to fill in the blanks

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
MB may be on a short leash for creating an overall average and mediocre roster but that has very little to do with letting a very average and vanilla little defender go.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
this ^
in two years drouin , byron, tatar , weber , chariot and possibly price will be gone leaving something like
.............., suzuki , gallagher
toffoli, kk, caufield
.............., danault , anderson
poehling, evans , armia
romanov, ...............,
edmundson, petry
guhle, ................
1. ............, 1a. primeau
and 25?-35 million in cash to fill in the blanks

Danault may not be here anymore, Price will still be here, Weber too. Have you seen next year's cap crunch already ?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Danault may not be here anymore, Price will still be here, Weber too. Have you seen next year's cap crunch already ?
weber isnt playing for 1 million a season . nashville would gladly take him back to be able to put him on ltir . danault will resign and if by slim chance he doesnt its 5-6 million more for a replacement . price can stay if need be

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
weber isnt playing for 1 million a season . nashville would gladly take him back to be able to put him on ltir . danault will resign and if by slim chance he doesnt its 5-6 million more for a replacement . price can stay if need be

Weber so you hope. Price's contract is one of the main issues right now.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Weber so you hope. Price's contract is one of the main issues right now.
Right now? And for the next five years too. But MB has done a better job than some Habs fans credit him for. It’s a playoff level roster with some holes due to some bad contracts and some very high draft picks not making a big enough dent yet (KK). Caufield will be an interesting insertion into the lineup. Habs will need to replace the point production of at least one of Tatar and Danault next season. MBs next big job. He’s a solid GM overall. Some misses but also some really nice hits too.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Right now? And for the next five years too. But MB has done a better job than some Habs fans credit him for. It’s a playoff level roster with some holes due to some bad contracts and some very high draft picks not making a big enough dent yet (KK). Caufield will be an interesting insertion into the lineup. Habs will need to replace the point production of at least one of Tatar and Danault next season. MBs next big job. He’s a solid GM overall. Some misses but also some really nice hits too.

Bergevin's issue is not his deals but the lack of direction for this team. He is also kind of a bad GM since he has missed te playoffs 4 times in 4 years despite officially being a contender / retooling. Which team has been missing playoffs that often lately while officially being a contender ? If MB did not think he was a contender, why sign Price at such a price, why trade for Weber, why resign Petry ? That's the issue, the moves overall don't make any sense. Why waive Mete while you could trade Chiarot, not bring Gustafsson ? He is a desperate GM on a mission to save his job, bad for the Habs.

Reactions: zeeto

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Bergevin's issue is not his deals but the lack of direction for this team. He is also kind of a bad GM since he has missed te playoffs 4 times in 4 years despite officially being a contender / retooling. Which team has been missing playoffs that often lately while officially being a contender ? If MB did not think he was a contender, why sign Price at such a price, why trade for Weber, why resign Petry ? That's the issue, the moves overall don't make any sense. Why waive Mete while you could trade Chiarot, not bring Gustafsson ? He is a desperate GM on a mission to save his job, bad for the Habs.
the owner will completely disagree with you . he has been rebuilding on the fly without taking from the future . in two years the window will open not close

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
the owner will completely disagree with you . he has been rebuilding on the fly without taking from the future . in two years the window will open not close

So to sum up in the last 5 years he has been rebuilding without saying it while keeping a high payroll and recruiting useless veterans without getting firsts at the TDL, and without getting generational players for a bright future ? Great job ... if he can sell this to you as a positive thing !

Reactions: zeeto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->