Claimed off Waivers: [OTT] Victor Mete claimed off waivers by the Senators from the Canadiens

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Go move Ottawa. I mean that as a hockey decision. Also love the fact Habs fans watch another highly drafted young defender leave their organization for nothing.
You love that the Habs lost another highly drafted young defender?

Who would that be? Mete wasn’t a high pick

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
During a radio interview in Calgary, Elliotte Friedman said that Bergevin is ready to move some veterans, but there are two players who are considered untouchable.
According to Friedman, only Carey Price and Victor Mete will not be involved in any type of deal

a quick google search will show that Bergevin has called Mete untouchable in the past. btw. I accept your apology fo calling me a liar.

Friedman was just speculating, like he does every week in his 31 thoughts.

"I don’t think he’s trading Carey Price, Shea Weber or Victor Mete. I find it extremely unlikely he’s trading Jonathan Drouin. Other than that? He’s listening and ready. "

31 Thoughts: Canadiens GM Bergevin ready to be active by trade deadline - Sportsnet.ca

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Friedman was just speculating, like he does every week in his 31 thoughts.

"I don’t think he’s trading Carey Price, Shea Weber or Victor Mete. I find it extremely unlikely he’s trading Jonathan Drouin. Other than that? He’s listening and ready. "

31 Thoughts: Canadiens GM Bergevin ready to be active by trade deadline - Sportsnet.ca

Brian Wilde
@BWildeMTL

On Calgary radio, @FriedgeHNIC says that Bergevin is the most active already among all GMs. He is, he says, working on the rebuild. He adds apparently only Price and Mete are untouchable.
10:46 AM · Jan 19, 2018

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
He's a bubble guy who hasn't developed at all that is partly his fault, partly the organisation's. He was definitely rushed but objectively, he never had much potential.

I like rooting for smaller guys so I wish him the best in Ottawa but he sucked and I am glad the team is moving on.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I got to say Mete looks pretty good last night. He's fast, gets the puck out of the zone with fair consistency and has some good playmaking ability. He didn't hurt the team being on the ice.

Reactions: montreal and Sting

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
What does that mean for Brannstrom?
With Gudbranson, Rielly, and Coburne all gone it means Brannstrom will be in the line up every night for the most part.

Mete and Brannstrom seem like fairly comparable players, so I bet there will some competition between the two in the organization going forward.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
He was good last night. Noticeable in a good way on a couple shifts, didn't notice any defensive gaffes.

Crazy how different the team looks with Brann / Mete moving the puck out of our zone. Who knew that dressing defenders who can pass the puck would make a difference?!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He was good last night. Noticeable in a good way on a couple shifts, didn't notice any defensive gaffes.

Crazy how different the team looks with Brann / Mete moving the puck out of our zone. Who knew that dressing defenders who can pass the puck would make a difference?!

Mete is a great skater and carries the puck well but his passing isn’t up to Brannstrom’s level IMO.

I think his actual puck handling isn’t quite up to his skating level, unlike Branny.

(small sample size and all that)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sting

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
seriously. your GM said it. do I need to go through all threads to pinpoint exactly who? suffice to say in your GMs mind he went from untouchable to waiver in 3 years. quick check also shows a Domi plus Mete for Nurse, Puljarvi and a 1st. yup seems fair.

Yes, you need to go through all the threads to find out who amongst Habs fans said he was untouchable. I would love to see it.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Yes, you need to go through all the threads to find out who amongst Habs fans said he was untouchable. I would love to see it.
seriously. give it up. you look foolish. how about you go to the thread I quoted and loonfor yourself. you said you GM never called Mete untouchable and I proved you wrong. accept the defeat.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
To be fair Mete was a 19-year-old rookie that season. Most GMs/fans are going to consider that kind of player untouchable because it's impressive to make the NHL at that age especially as a 4th rounder. So you'd obviously want to hang onto such players for at least another 2-3 seasons to get a better idea of what kind of player they have. Now they do and he's not a guy who was making the lineup as a regular.

If the Sens had a 19 year old we just drafted in the 4th round playing in the league this year we'd all be talking up his development curve and making big speculations on it too. It's hfboards, lol.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
To be fair Mete was a 19-year-old rookie that season. Most GMs/fans are going to consider that kind of player untouchable because it's impressive to make the NHL at that age especially as a 4th rounder. So you'd obviously want to hang onto such players for at least another 2-3 seasons to get a better idea of what kind of player they have. Now they do and he's not a guy who was making the lineup as a regular.

If the Sens had a 19 year old we just drafted in the 4th round playing in the league this year we'd all be talking up his development curve and making big speculations on it too. It's hfboards, lol.
Well said

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mete is a great skater and carries the puck well but his passing isn’t up to Brannstrom’s level IMO.

I think his actual puck handling isn’t quite up to his skating level, unlike Branny.

(small sample size and all that)

He can skate and carry.....that's not the problem. The problem comes when he has to do something offensive or when we got hemmed in and his size was a liability.

Watch out for his wicked shot. It can bowl over a...squirrel.

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
Mete is a good kid and I’m glad Ottawa is giving him a shot but objectively, it was time to move on from him for the best for both the team and the player.
Really he hasn’t developed at all in three years. His shot is definitely not of NHL caliber (reminder that he has the franchise record for most number of games before scoring his first goal with 127 games) and I don’t think there is a single defensemen in the league that gets pushed more easily in-front of the net than him.
If you’re expecting a future Krug or anything of that sort, you’ll be highly disappointed because they are nothing alike other than their size. Hope he becomes a decent depth D with Ottawa because for now, he is not even a top 6 on a good team (hence why none of the 30 GMs, including Ottawa, were willing to give any assets for him, as confirmed by Bergervin on his TDL conference).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->