Confirmed Trade: [OTT/TBL] Cedric Paquette, Braydon Coburn, and 2022 2nd for Marian Gaborik and Anders Nilsson

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
The new CBA needs to eliminate all the bullshit. No more LTIR players being able to be traded to cheat the cap. No more Hossa "career ending injuries" to get rid of back ending years.

This trade is ridiculous.

This take is ridiculous. Every single player wants the cap space allocated as efficiently as possible to ensure they have a job. You think anyone in the NHLPA is going to say "I'd rather be in the AHL than let teams open up cap space to give me a job"?

This is a solution in search of a problem.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Why should Ottawa care about bailing out Tampa? Not in our division and we won’t be facing them in the playoffs.

Ottawa is the only team with the cap flex to take advantage of an unprecedented almost league-wide cap crunch. Still have $11M in space too.

That's true. Ottawa would be one of the few teams with cap space that could (easily) add players. Ottawa does seem to have added a lot of players this year and last, so I suspect agents would be following this trend as well.

I'm sure this point wasn't lost on the players (and their agents) either. If they didn't recognize this immediately, I suspect they found out relatively quickly after the initial reaching out to teams.

The larger number of one-year deals illustrates that the players knew this market was different. So it makes a lot of sense given conditions that free agents would be paying attention to just about any offer that was half-ways decent in this market.

And, if you are a rebuilding team, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be taking a hard look at free agency, especially this year. There was both options available at all positions, and a great economic climate to get deals.

Seeing as there some Ottawa fans in here, can someone tell me what their defense pairings will look like this season. I'm especially interested in the top two pairings as there seems to be lots of options for the bottom pair. Obviously there is Chabot, but after that, I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited:

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
That's true. Ottawa would be one of the few teams with cap space that could (easily) add players. Ottawa does seem to have added a lot of players this year and last, so I suspect agents would be following this trend as well.

I'm sure this point wasn't lost on the players (and their agents) either. If they didn't recognize this immediately, I suspect they found out relatively quickly after the initial reaching out to teams.

The larger number of one-year deals illustrates that the players knew this market was different. So it makes a lot of sense given conditions that free agents would be paying attention to just about any offer that was half-ways decent in this market.

And, if you are a rebuilding team, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be taking a hard look at free agency, especially this year. There was both options available at all positions, and a great economic climate to get deals.

Seeing as there some Ottawa fans in here, can someone tell me what their defense pairings will look like this season. I'm especially interested in the top two pairings as there seems to be lots of options for the bottom pair. Obviously there is Chabot, but after that, I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Chabot Gudbranson
Wolanin Zaitsev
Reilly Brown

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Thanks. It should be interesting year no doubt. As a fan from a rival team, I must admit I have no idea what to expect.
As a fan of the Sens, there is a lot of guess work this year. Looks like we got Stepan to be the vet to show Stutzle how to play the game the right way. The Tampa deal was a bit of a surprise, taking on two bodies, when we are looking to play some young guys. Then again we now avoid having to put some young guys on the taxi squad where they won't get regular playing time. Also allows us to keep our future core in Belleville for hopefully a long playoff run. Good depth for injury and covid issues during the year.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
As a fan of the Sens, there is a lot of guess work this year. Looks like we got Stepan to be the vet to show Stutzle how to play the game the right way. The Tampa deal was a bit of a surprise, taking on two bodies, when we are looking to play some young guys. Then again we now avoid having to put some young guys on the taxi squad where they won't get regular playing time. Also allows us to keep our future core in Belleville for hopefully a long playoff run. Good depth for injury and covid issues during the year.
Ya, I agree. The Senators are rebuilding and seem to have been taking the patient approach so far. I'd think their forward prospects could be inserted into 3rd & 4th lines to get some experience without be shellacked by their opponents' better players and top lines. Same concept for defense. Therefore, getting better players through whatever means (including free agency) as stop gaps seems better than creating a log jam at the bottom half of the lineup which imho seems to have happened.

Who knows though? If guys like Gudbranson or Stepan can play higher up and handle bigger roles without the Senators getting pummelled, then I guess Dorion will look like a genius. Time will tell.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Who knows though? If guys like Gudbranson or Stepan can play higher up and handle bigger roles without the Senators getting pummelled, then I guess Dorion will look like a genius. Time will tell.

aoyrpgcr3gjy.png

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Good for TB, GREAT for Ottawa. Cedric Paquette is a quality player, and will probably play a bigger role in Ottawa than TB. Coburn is still an NHL dman. Getting a 2nd on top of those two is a homerun for the Sens.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Good for TB, GREAT for Ottawa. Cedric Paquette is a quality player, and will probably play a bigger role in Ottawa than TB. Coburn is still an NHL dman. Getting a 2nd on top of those two is a homerun for the Sens.

That seems like something that a TBL fan would be more likely to say. If you are looking at the big picture, and considering all the alternatives from Ottawa's perspective, then you might (likely would) reach a different conclusion e.g., OK for Ottawa, great for TBL. Note that I'm focusing these statements outside of the one TBL/Ottawa deal. If you want to work in a vacuum and not consider the wider perspective and alternatives, then yes this one deal was pretty decent.

I'm pretty sure TBL are pretty happy they got out of the cap bind they were in and that's the main source or motivation for that kind of conclusion. You can read various other opinions including several from Senator fans if you (really) wanted to gain more insight on this subject.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
That seems like something that a TBL fan would be more likely to say. If you are looking at the big picture, and considering all the alternatives from Ottawa's perspective, then you might (likely would) reach a different conclusion e.g., OK for Ottawa, great for TBL. Note that I'm focusing these statements outside of the one TBL/Ottawa deal. If you want to work in a vacuum and not consider the wider perspective and alternatives, then yes this one deal was pretty decent.

I'm pretty sure TBL are pretty happy they got out of the cap bind they were in and that's the main source or motivation for that kind of conclusion. You can read various other opinions including several from Senator fans if you (really) wanted to gain more insight on this subject.

As a 25 year season-ticket member of the Tampa Bay lightning I’m not going out on a limb to suggest I know what both of these players bring to the Sens. Paquette will sacrifice himself freely and do everything he can to help his team win from rebel rousing to shot blocking. His physical presence will be felt nightly and he will be more of an on ice impact than Coburn. However don’t think for a minute the latter’s professionalism and approachability won’t have a very positive impact on your younger players. For starters Coburn will come to camp in better shape than many who are substantially younger.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

This feels a lot like when Vancouver fans felt like they got ripped off in the Miller deal, and TB fans told them they got a very good player.

Getting a 2nd with Cedric Paquette is beyond great for Ottawa.

And if you get a half decent year out of Coburn, which is the most likely outcome, he nets you another asset at the deadline.

Reactions: NatoGhost

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Yet another cup contender in cap hell bailed out by a Canadian team. I guess there is no "they're screwed" scenario, they just keep sweetening bail out deals until someone bites. One day I'd like to see no team bite.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
Yet another cup contender in cap hell bailed out by a Canadian team. I guess there is no "they're screwed" scenario, they just keep sweetening bail out deals until someone bites. One day I'd like to see no team bite.

A team will bite as soon as it makes their team better.

A GM's job is to improve his roster and the results of the team and implement a sound plan for success. It is not to see who blinks first. When PD's performance review comes up, he'll be able to point to these trades and say 'Look, I got rid of two dead weight contracts and a marginal draft pick drop-off for three NHL players that (hopefully) were flipped for more assets at the deadline'.

There's a fundamental difference in understanding between fantasy HF GMs and real life GMs and that is that for the real life GMs, their career is tied to the deals they make or don't make. They aren't going to play Russian roulette over a 1st vs a 2nd or potentially miss out on an opportunity by having a third-party GM jump in. If they see a deal that they feel helps their organization achieve it's goals, they're going to (and should) make that deal.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
As a 25 year season-ticket member of the Tampa Bay lightning I’m not going out on a limb to suggest I know what both of these players bring to the Sens. Paquette will sacrifice himself freely and do everything he can to help his team win from rebel rousing to shot blocking. His physical presence will be felt nightly and he will be more of an on ice impact than Coburn. However don’t think for a minute the latter’s professionalism and approachability won’t have a very positive impact on your younger players. For starters Coburn will come to camp in better shape than many who are substantially younger.
A few clarifications perhaps would be good as follows:

1. My username should be a good indication of the team I cheer for. But, in case it isn't, Keon & Horton were Leafs. Not sure I need to go further on this.

2. My post was a lot more about the Senators offseason in general, and had very little to do with this specific trade between Ottawa & TBL. I also thought that was pretty obvious, but perhaps not. Once again, and for the record, I think this specific trade was good. I was just looking at the many moves made by Ottawa this offseason and trying to reverse engineer and figure out what the plan was while also wondering or analyzing how good that plan was.

3. There are many different ways to get veteran leadership, and nothing precludes a team from getting that leadership whether they trade for players at the top, middle or bottom of roster. Or, in other words, if a team trades for a better player, they can still get that leadership they need. Its not something exclusive to bottom of the roster players.

4. If a team trades for better players, they can also move those better players for picks just as easily, or potentially more easily. In other words, this is also not an unique benefit received only for bottom of the roster players. The same benefit can be obtained from players capable of playing higher up in the lineup, and predictably the return from those trades would be even better.

Maybe there's too much nuance here. Got to keep things simple I guess. Unfortunately, good versus bad seems to the only theme that can be absorbed way too often.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
This feels a lot like when Vancouver fans felt like they got ripped off in the Miller deal, and TB fans told them they got a very good player.

Getting a 2nd with Cedric Paquette is beyond great for Ottawa.

And if you get a half decent year out of Coburn, which is the most likely outcome, he nets you another asset at the deadline.

Sure, we've been through this already, and I said I agreed. But, the points in your post are tangental to actual subjects in my post. See #498.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad