Confirmed Trade: [OTT/SJS] Hoffman, Donaghy, 5th ('20) for Boedker, Bergman, 6th ('20)

GSG1165

Sep 9, 2010
Ottawa
If the allegations are true I like ANY return for this dude. I would want him bought out if necessary. Big risk for Tallon here!
Can't judge this without knowing the full story unfortunately. Maybe it will never be known.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I dont know how hard it is to understand

Sens have a player who has a girlfriend who is causing a world of drama and have known about this for many months. Instead of trading him at the TDL for a fairly big return, they hold on to him and continue to try and extort more value. All this time, Dorion does not listen to offers from in division teams.

Then the bombs drops with the legal action filed by Karlssons wife. All of HF was saying his value plummeted (except the most devoted Dorion fanboys). Again, instead of listenting to offers from Florida or an in division team, they gave him away for free to SJ, who simply dealt him back in division for a higher return

Dorion made 2 mistakes 1) Not trading him at the TDL and 2) Even after his value dropped, not listening to the best offer. Hoffman was not good enough of a player to keep at the risk of his GF causing more issues, but apparently too good of a player to trade to Florida

What makes you think Dorion knew about this before the trade deadline? I haven't heard that yet. What has been reported is that Monika Caryk found out about the Karlsson's thinking she was the culprit in late March. The trade deadline was February 26th.

I'm also not so sure that Boedker + the prospect is that much worse than a 2019 2nd, and 2018 4th and 5th round picks. If Ottawa trade Boedker at some point in the future, would he seriously not get at least a 2nd? If not, perhaps he's worse than I thought.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What makes you think Dorion knew about this before the trade deadline? I haven't heard that yet. What has been reported is that Monika Caryk found out about the Karlsson's thinking she was the culprit in late March. The trade deadline was February 26th.

I'm also not so sure that Boedker + the prospect is that much worse than a 2019 2nd, and 2018 4th and 5th round picks. If Ottawa trade Boedker at some point in the future, would he seriously not get at least a 2nd? If not, perhaps he's worse than I thought.

Peace bond says incidents were dating back to November, so this is when Karlsson was aware. Numerous ex sens players wife said they werent surprised. So either the team knew and tried to sweep it under the rug, or they didnt know and shockingly oblivious to everything. They had to have known she was a massive headache, maybe not specifically she was this pyscho

And no, I dont think the Sens will be able to get a 2nd round pick for him. Going by what Sharks fans are saying and looking at his underlying numbers, he is or is nearing cap dump status. The picks are way more value than he would be, even if they are used to parlay into a roster player this offseason

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Was waiting for this type on nonsense. You and I both know if it weren't for Hoffman's fiance being a psycho and doing what she did this trade never happens. You are only making yourself look silly by trying to make this point based on the context of the situation.
Trying to save face, aren't we ? :laugh:

I'll put that as a win in his column...

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
No, he hit 51 in 15-16, just did it spread across Arizona and Colorado.

And his last two years with San Jose are basically the only seasons he's played with a legit playoff team, which hence relegate him to a secondary role.

On a bad team he is a 50 point guy.
False.

Look it up.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Trying to save face, aren't we ? :laugh:

I'll put that as a win in his column...
You would be completely wrong and juvenile in the process, but go right ahead. Also, if I was trying to save face I would have simply pretended I didn't see the post and never responded. Are you 15 years old, serious question?

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You would be completely wrong and juvenile in the process, but go right ahead. Also, if I was trying to save face I would have simply pretended I didn't see the post and never responded. Are you 15 years old, serious question?
I knew you had a great sense of humour...

And multiply 15 by 4.6 !

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
So Florida went out of their way last summer getting out a high contract in Reilly Smith and losing a solid player. Now. Wilson shows them how its done getting rid of a high contract, and then flipping a head case to them, where Florida now takes on a solid contract and a questionable character? Not sure if Florida is much better than Ottawa...this will be interesting to see.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
With the Coyotes and Avs, he has produced at a 39.8 points pace.

If you round it up, you'll need to be very bad at arithmetics to get to 50 points.
?
In 4 consecutive years he had a 44point pace hit 51 points, 52 point pace and then hit 51 points. I can't deny his earlier seasons happened but he showed he can be a ~50 point player 4 years in a row.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Ottawa had to move Hoffman. I expect the Sens intend to use Boeddker this year to help them avoid a bottom 5 pick, and then will trade him for a 2nd at next deadline/draft. He's a decent #6 forward- solid defensively, fast, will put up between 35-45 points. Every team can use a guy like that as their last top 6 or part of a offensive third line. That said, he is not the type of guy you typically trade a 1st line forward for.

Unfortunately for the Sens this was an atypical situation. If they could have gotten a 1st they would have.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
?
In 4 consecutive years he had a 44point pace hit 51 points, 52 point pace and then hit 51 points. I can't deny his earlier seasons happened but he showed he can be a ~50 point player 4 years in a row.
Why the "?" ?

On the Coyotes and the Avs, he had 225 points in 463 games, an average of 39.8 points per 82 games.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Why the "?" ?

On the Coyotes and the Avs, he had 225 points in 463 games, an average of 39.8 points per 82 games.
?
I'm not denying that. But for 3 consecutive years he scored at a 50 point pace. He has shown that he can be a 50 point guy.
Players learn, they can improve.
Is Kyle Turris a 33 point player? b
Because during his time in Phoenix that was his pace.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
?
I'm not denying that. But for 3 consecutive years he scored at a 50 point pace. He has shown that he can be a 50 point guy.
Players learn, they can improve.
Is Kyle Turris a 33 point player? b
Because during his time in Phoenix that was his pace.
False.

His pace was 27.5.

But more to the point, "?" implies in my mind that the data provided is false.

We've got enough people doing that voluntarily on these Boards.

I don't intend to be part of that group, and that's not saying it won't or hasn't happened. But if it did or will, it will not be voluntarily/to mislead people.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Oh god I just keep chuckling when I think about how bad Dorion got played and how mad he must be. Refuses to trade in division for some dumb reasons, so doesnt hear the offer from Tallon. Then trades Hoffman for a cap dump, only to see hours later than Hoffman was re-traded into his division for a better package

Imagine being Doug Wilson " I thought arbitrage was not economically possible, but your telling me I can acquire an asset and immediately flip it for a higher price. Ok I know there is a catch but Ill try it anyway for the laughs"
A. Boedker isn't a cap dump.
B. He did hear an offer from Tallon.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017

Most Sharks fans would have been happy to get anything for Boedker without retaining salary.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lol at all of those that said this little scandal wouldn’t lessen Hoffman’s trade value.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Lol at all of those that said this little scandal wouldn’t lessen Hoffman’s trade value.
It didn't. But Ottawa likely sold him cheap so they could try to secure Karlsson.

Sharks wanted a quick flip. If he hits 60pts again no impact

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Peace bond says incidents were dating back to November, so this is when Karlsson was aware. Numerous ex sens players wife said they werent surprised. So either the team knew and tried to sweep it under the rug, or they didnt know and shockingly oblivious to everything. They had to have known she was a massive headache, maybe not specifically she was this pyscho

And no, I dont think the Sens will be able to get a 2nd round pick for him. Going by what Sharks fans are saying and looking at his underlying numbers, he is or is nearing cap dump status. The picks are way more value than he would be, even if they are used to parlay into a roster player this offseason

The cyber-bullying dates back to November, but there's been no word on when the Karlsson's started to investigate, when they determined it was Hoffman's girlfriend, and when they informed Dorion and company about all of this. The worst of these social media comments came on March 21st.
The team didn't deny knowledge about the situation when the media broke the story, but they never said how long they've known.
They may have known since before the deadline but that hasn't been stated yet, and Caryk apparently found out about the allegations a month after the deadline, so it's by no means a guarantee that Dorion knew about this in advance of the deadline.

As for Boedker that's disappointing to here. I knew he wasn't a good fit in San Jose but figured a player of his speed and decent scoring rate over the years would have more value than being an essential cap dump. Hoping he can rebound and the one decent part of Ottawa trading for a player instead of picks is that it does seem to indicate to me that they're looking to be somewhat competitive next year, meaning they're trying to keep Karlsson. Hopefully. But who knows at this point, what a circus.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
False.

Look it up.
??

Have you? Are you completely ignoring the fact that for FOUR consecutive seasons he produced at a roughly 50 point pace? On teams that were out of the playoffs?

Have you looked at his ice time throughout his career? When given over 17 minutes a game he produces at a 50 point pace.

Hell he scored 37 points last year getting 13 minutes a game.

At this point I feel as though you're trolling but who knows. Maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->