Confirmed Trade: [OTT/SJS] Hoffman, Donaghy, 5th ('20) for Boedker, Bergman, 6th ('20)

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
When you consider that the Sens got a decent player and $5m million in cash, the trade looks a lot better. It confirms that Ottawa ownership is interested in cash first and hockey second. That should tell Karlsson what to do.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
I almost feel bad for Senator fans.... Almost.

meh I needed to get cheered up after that Galchenyuk trade and the Sens org stepped up

altho really what were they supposed to do pretty much had to trade Hoffman even with that situation not being resolved

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oh god I just keep chuckling when I think about how bad Dorion got played and how mad he must be. Refuses to trade in division for some dumb reasons, so doesnt hear the offer from Tallon. Then trades Hoffman for a cap dump, only to see hours later than Hoffman was re-traded into his division for a better package

Imagine being Doug Wilson " I thought arbitrage was not economically possible, but your telling me I can acquire an asset and immediately flip it for a higher price. Ok I know there is a catch but Ill try it anyway for the laughs"

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
LOL! The consensus by HF Boards was that Hoffman was 'untradeable' and once the Sens GM trades him, he's a bum and the worst GM in the League! Enough said... :rolleyes:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
LOL! The consensus by HF Boards was that Hoffman was 'untradeable' and once the Sens GM trades him, he's a bum and the worst GM in the League! Enough said... :rolleyes:

I dont know how hard it is to understand

Sens have a player who has a girlfriend who is causing a world of drama and have known about this for many months. Instead of trading him at the TDL for a fairly big return, they hold on to him and continue to try and extort more value. All this time, Dorion does not listen to offers from in division teams.

Then the bombs drops with the legal action filed by Karlssons wife. All of HF was saying his value plummeted (except the most devoted Dorion fanboys). Again, instead of listenting to offers from Florida or an in division team, they gave him away for free to SJ, who simply dealt him back in division for a higher return

Dorion made 2 mistakes 1) Not trading him at the TDL and 2) Even after his value dropped, not listening to the best offer. Hoffman was not good enough of a player to keep at the risk of his GF causing more issues, but apparently too good of a player to trade to Florida

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Does this increase the likelihood that the Sens manage to keep Karlsson?

If I'm a Florida fan, I'm pessimistic about this, but hoping I'm wrong.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I dont know how hard it is to understand

Sens have a player who has a girlfriend who is causing a world of drama and have known about this for many months. Instead of trading him at the TDL for a fairly big return, they hold on to him and continue to try and extort more value. All this time, Dorion does not listen to offers from in division teams.

Then the bombs drops with the legal action filed by Karlssons wife. All of HF was saying his value plummeted (except the most devoted Dorion fanboys). Again, instead of listenting to offers from Florida or an in division team, they gave him away for free to SJ, who simply dealt him back in division for a higher return

Dorion made 2 mistakes 1) Not trading him at the TDL and 2) Even after his value dropped, not listening to the best offer. Hoffman was not good enough of a player to keep at the risk of his GF causing more issues, but apparently too good of a player to trade to Florida
How do you know he had all these offers? Maybe, teams knew about this problem but decided not to publicize it or perhaps, they knew something but more came out in the open recently? Your complaints are all speculative. There wasn't much in the way of offers and many on this board said so. I think they were right.

Sure, if Dorion was able to get something better at the deadline, he should have just swallowed his pride and made a deal - especially, if he suspected, at all, that this would blow up or get worse or whatever. But, many teams hang on to players for too long or get rid of them too early (hastily). Dorion is just yet another GM who has done so but there was not much he could do at this time, that's for certain. The poor return is indicative of this. If the Sens are lucky, Boedker helps them as he is a talented forward and maybe he finds some chemistry with the good forwards the Sens have left.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Does this increase the likelihood that the Sens manage to keep Karlsson?

If I'm a Florida fan, I'm pessimistic about this, but hoping I'm wrong.

Can't see Karlsson wanting to stay regardless. And I'm not sure even Ottawa can risk not trading him and having him leave.

Florida got a very good second line scoring winger for below-market value, while San Jose basically got a bunch of draft picks for free. It's a win for both San Jose and Ottawa, while a really bad deal for Ottawa. I guess their players really didn't want to play with Hoffman anymore but let's be real, Hoffman was never going to pick his team over his fiancée.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Can't see Karlsson wanting to stay regardless. And I'm not sure even Ottawa can risk not trading him and having him leave.

Florida got a very good second line scoring winger for below-market value, while San Jose basically got a bunch of draft picks for free. It's a win for both San Jose and Ottawa, while a really bad deal for Ottawa. I guess their players really didn't want to play with Hoffman anymore but let's be real, Hoffman was never going to pick his team over his fiancée.

Yeah, but lockerroom cancers are a real thing. So if I'm a Florida fan, I'm lukewarm on bringing this guy in. (That doesn't mean I think Ottawa won the deal or anything; they painted themselves into a ridiculous corner.) I say that as a TB fan, knowing we've been burned by the occasional bad attitude at multiple levels of the organization, so much so that it seemed like Steve Yzerman lost all appetite for anyone with red flags and just dealt them.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Yeah, but lockerroom cancers are a real thing. So if I'm a Florida fan, I'm lukewarm on bringing this guy in. (That doesn't mean I think Ottawa won the deal or anything; they painted themselves into a ridiculous corner.) I say that as a TB fan, knowing we've been burned by the occasional bad attitude at multiple levels of the organization, so much so that it seemed like Steve Yzerman lost all appetite for anyone with red flags and just dealt them.

I'm skeptical that Hoffman is a real locker room cancer. I had never heard anything bad about him until the problem with his fiancée came out. My best friend had a girlfriend who would make what Hoffman's fiancée allegedly did tame, doesn't mean he stopped being a good friend.

Genuflexion

Aug 20, 2017
Not happy about this unless it helps re-sign Karlsson. If getting rid of Hoff is what I took I would have traded him for futures

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm skeptical that Hoffman is a real locker room cancer. I had never heard anything bad about him until the problem with his fiancée came out. My best friend had a girlfriend who would make what Hoffman's fiancée allegedly did tame, doesn't mean he stopped being a good friend.

Okay, but what this girlfriend did (allegedly) is some seriously psycho stuff. Like, I'm a TB fan. Could Hoffman even play for TB, given Victor Hedman's relationship with Karlsson? I'm thinking there'd be issues, even if Hoffman himself bears no responsibility (which is still debatable, unless the story has changed).

I mean, there's a reason his value got driven into the basement. Teams realize there's a big risk here.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Enh, I don't understand being upset about the return.

Frankly I think Ottawa did pretty well given the situation. Ottawa got a serviceable middle 6 winger and low end prospect that still has NHL potential for a guy that had to be traded.

On bad teams, Boedker has produced around a 50 point pace. Hoffman produces around a 60 point pace. I don't see the huge drop off here.

The only real winner here is Hoffman's girlfriend though. Trading for Ottawa for Northern California. Plus, in silicon valley her psychopathy will hardly even be noticable.
With the Coyotes and Avs, he has produced at a 39.8 points pace.

If you round it up, you'll need to be very bad at arithmetics to get to 50 points.

Reactions: gab6511

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
How do you know he had all these offers? Maybe, teams knew about this problem but decided not to publicize it or perhaps, they knew something but more came out in the open recently? Your complaints are all speculative. There wasn't much in the way of offers and many on this board said so. I think they were right.

Sure, if Dorion was able to get something better at the deadline, he should have just swallowed his pride and made a deal - especially, if he suspected, at all, that this would blow up or get worse or whatever. But, many teams hang on to players for too long or get rid of them too early (hastily). Dorion is just yet another GM who has done so but there was not much he could do at this time, that's for certain. The poor return is indicative of this. If the Sens are lucky, Boedker helps them as he is a talented forward and maybe he finds some chemistry with the good forwards the Sens have left.

Id doubt other teams were fully aware of this matter. You would have expected at least one insider to hint at it. Instead all of the insider discussing Hoffman trades were discussing trades with a pretty high return. Even if teams did know about this and his value was lower as a result, he still took an inferior package from SJ to trade him out of division. He didnt even listen to offers from teams in his own division, maybe even conference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->