Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] Sens Extend Chris Tierney (2 Years, $3.5M AAV)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
1. Well, he did say the words “decent deal.”

2. Just curious, what do you think you’re getting for $3.5m?
From UFA market u can probably get Hoffman with 3.5M. Duclair, AA or Kahun easily if not 2 of them.

OTT may not be attractive to many UFAs so its a good deal for both sides.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Tierney is not “first” anything, except maybe first PK unit. He does a decent enough job in several areas without excelling at any.

Contract is a good deal for both player and team. Comparable to Eller/Bonino at a similar age, who are comparable players (in role, not necessarily style).
Ok sire. Whom will play that first C role then? White? And White is also on the powerplay one I'm sure no?

Reactions: Riptide

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
From UFA market u can probably get Hoffman with 3.5M. Duclair, AA or Kahun easily if not 2 of them.

Yeah but those guys in a normal market wouldn’t be getting deals that low. They’ve misplayed their hands and as for Hoffman, it remains to be seen whether he signs for that, or if it’s more.

Tierney in a normal market would get 4m+.

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Tierney is not “first” anything, except maybe first PK unit. He does a decent enough job in several areas without excelling at any.

Contract is a good deal for both player and team. Comparable to Eller/Bonino at a similar age, who are comparable players (in role, not necessarily style).

He may not be a 1C but he will be used that way this year.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Logan Brown has Senators fans salivating about his potential due to his offensive vision, hands and large frame. (unless you're referring to Connor Brown)

Unfortunately, he has yet to prove himself on any consistent and substantial basis due to injury.

If you are referring to Connor Brown, I think he has a bit more jam and is a bit more versatile and useful than Tierney.

Tierney is a fairly unspectacular player, a cerebral playmaker who doesn't demonstrate a great deal of intensity but doesn't cost his team defensively either. I'd be surprised if he generates a lot of excitement or interest on the part of Senators fans, who mainly regard him as a placeholder before those prospects step up and step in.

There are a few Senators fans out there who think he figures into the team long-term, but judging by the contract length, I'd be surprised if Dorion agrees.

I think Dorion is just hedging. More term would have costed Ottawa more money (AAV). Two years allows him to keep things low, while giving Ottawa time to see what happens with Brown (and any other centers Ottawa has).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

1. Which one of those guys is playing center for Ottawa next season (a position they're already weak at)?
2. Why are those guys going to Ottawa for that money vs half a dozen other teams that have a good bet to actually make the POs?

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
He's a useful player but I've never seen a player so reluctant to shoot the puck. 352 shots in 284 games played.
Bobby never really shot the puck enough either... But, Tierney isn't known for his shot, although it's a fairly accurate one. (10.7 Shooting% career average)

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

If we're targeting a top 3C specifically, that limits the UFA list down to a handful of guys. I'd love Granlund, Kahun, Brassard round 2, Haula, Galchenyuk, but I'd imagine if they were to sign in Ottawa, signing Tierney isn't going to be the obstacle. White, Tierney, L. Brown, Anisimov is not a center depth that would be in the way of adding another C, especially when almost all of them have spent time on the wing.

I'm guessing most of the UFA guys are resisting signing smaller contracts (Hoffman/Galchenyuk/Granlund aren't looking to downgrade to 3.5mil from his 5 mil contracts when they're looking for their last big pay day).

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He's a useful player but I've never seen a player so reluctant to shoot the puck. 352 shots in 284 games played.

I don't think its' cause he's reluctant, more so can't make space for himself to take a shot. Plays a pretty safe game that keeps you wanting more cause you know he's not out there winning one on one battles and taking charge of a game. Doesn't appear to work super hard...just kind of there skating around, but isn't a liability on the ice, so it doesn't hurt the team. He's unique in that sense.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The AAV is solid, i'm happy.

He's going to be our 1C this year, and hopefully next year someone (hopefully a German) grows into that spot.

I'm 90% sure that the Kraken will be drafting him from us for Y2, so I really see this as a 1 year deal.
Yikes, that’s not good. Tierney is a mediocre 3C, having him at 1C is a pretty scary prospect.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yikes, that’s not good. Tierney is a mediocre 3C, having him at 1C is a pretty scary prospect.

I don't get posts like this. Tierny has been scoring over half a point a game for the past 3 seasons, is responsible defensively and can contribute on special teams. He's not an elite talent by any means, but he is certainly a capable middle 6 center. Maybe just a case of a player being so not flashy that people who only watch him play a handful of games think he's way worse than he is.

The Senators are going into this season with the goal of developing young players. That's it. They're going to have 3 or 4 very balanced lines with guys like Tierney taking the pressure off the youngsters. So whatever order of line Tierney might be on, doesn't mean he's that number of a centre. He could technically be on the 2nd line and play less than the guy on the 3rd. Or more than the guy on the 1st.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
If we're targeting a top 3C specifically, that limits the UFA list down to a handful of guys. I'd love Granlund, Kahun, Brassard round 2, Haula, Galchenyuk, but I'd imagine if they were to sign in Ottawa, signing Tierney isn't going to be the obstacle. White, Tierney, L. Brown, Anisimov is not a center depth that would be in the way of adding another C, especially when almost all of them have spent time on the wing.

I'm guessing most of the UFA guys are resisting signing smaller contracts (Hoffman/Galchenyuk/Granlund aren't looking to downgrade to 3.5mil from his 5 mil contracts when they're looking for their last big pay day).
Guess I was wrong

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Lol Hoffman is getting more than 3.5 man.

Tierney is a good place holder in Ottawa for whats about to come. Good for taking the hard matchups the next couple years, good contract for both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad