Proposal: Ott-Nyi

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
The same number as Karlsson.

So your trophies argument boils down to Norris wins, which is a funny way to compare a forward and a defenseman.

The difference is there are half a dozen trophies that are either heavily forward-favored or forward-exclusive. There is only one for defensemen.

Tavares has never been considered by the majority as the best player at his position in his career while Erik Karlsson has been #1 or #2 for half of the last decade and is widely regarded as the greatest offensive defenseman of this generation. How would you compare them?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
1 for 1 is trade like this won't be a matter of who's better, but who will benefit the team better

Ottawa with JT will have JT + Duchesne down the middle, which is pretty good...

basically it's more about need than which is better...do you need a 1/2 punch or can yuo deal with a maybe ok 1st center and an A1 elite dman.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
1 for 1 is trade like this won't be a matter of who's better, but who will benefit the team better

Ottawa with JT will have JT + Duchesne down the middle, which is pretty good...

basically it's more about need than which is better...do you need a 1/2 punch or can yuo deal with a maybe ok 1st center and an A1 elite dman.

Then our defense would be

Oduya-Phaneuf
Chabot-Ceci
Claesson-Harpur/Wideman/Borowiecki

Yeah, about that...

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Karlsson is clearly superior.

I can't believe anyone is arguing otherwise lol.

It's crazy how underrated Karlsson is.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I can't see either team making this deal unless it's a trade and sign(in which case both teams would need to sign the guys they traded for)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I can't see either team making this deal unless it's a trade and sign(in which case both teams would need to sign the guys they traded for)
Karlsson cannot sign an extension until July 1st, 2018 and that is the day Tavares becomes a ufa.

Not sure that the Sens owner would green light a big contract for Tavares anyway.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Karlsson cannot sign an extension until July 1st, 2018 and that is the day Tavares becomes a ufa.

Not sure that the Sens owner would green light a big contract for Tavares anyway.

For some reason I thought Karlsson was a UFA this summer(i guess because for the past few months people are talking how he is a soon to be UFA. lol)

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
Tavares is the better player IMO.

Karlsson is overrated due to his flashy style and his offensive point totals. He's a great skater and very good offensive defenseman who can make you go wow, but his defensive play especially in his own zone is awful far too often. People want to blame the injury but it's not that. He's always been someone who wants to chase points and score 70-80 points at the expense of his defense.

He's not in the same class as guys like Pietrangelo or Doughty or Hedman. Not even close. His Norris Trophies are a direct result of his point totals - not his all around play. Age and contract aside, I'd even take guys like Ryan Suter, Duncan Keith, and Roman Josi over Karlsson. Maybe Subban too.

For all the offense he creates, he gives way too much of it back with awful defense. -24 this season and it's been well earned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad