Confirmed Trade: [OTT/NSH] Austin Watson for 2021 4th round pick

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I love this kid. I always loved his game
East just got tougher to play against

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Eh, he was on pace for 50 pts while mostly playing more of a defensive role. (Only 4 PP pts.)

Not perfect, but giving him PP mins might mean he hits 60.

He’s an ideal third liner. Unless the plan is to play Watson on the 4th line and add another top six guy, I’m not thrilled about it.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
He’s no Datsyuk but it’s not like he’s Brendl.

He is bad defensively. His only positives are that he is willing to block shots and he'll hit people, but often without much thought. I don't know why anyone would say that he is good defensively or even average, he just isn't. He can score a bit, decent shot and he's physical. He has played tough minutes, but poorly.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
He goes to Ottawa and plays the pest role well then Ottawa can move him for a 2nd at the deadline to someone needing to get "grittier" for the playoffs. Ottawa needs some bodies for the lineup so why not make it physical guys who will make teams pay for the two points. Just don't give him 5.5 for 7 years

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
He is bad defensively. His only positives are that he is willing to block shots and he'll hit people, but often without much thought. I don't know why anyone would say that he is good defensively or even average, he just isn't. He can score a bit, decent shot and he's physical. He has played tough minutes, but poorly.

I don’t care about fancy stats, but I’m of the opinion if you’re a PKer, you’re good defensively. Like if I had a choice between him and Okposo, to use my team, and take out contract value, I’d take Watson 10/10 times (currently).

Obviously different choice if we’re talking both players at 25.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
I don’t care about fancy stats, but I’m of the opinion if you’re a PKer, you’re good defensively. Like if I had a choice between him and Okposo, to use my team, and take out contract value, I’d take Watson 10/10 times (currently).

Obviously different choice if we’re talking both players at 25.

Playing on the PK doesn't automatically mean you're good defensively, that's absurd. As I said, he will block shots and he's big and physical. That's somewhat useful on the PK, but not so useful at even strength. Poor skating doesn't hurt nearly as much on the PK as at evens. And there are 4 or 5 forwards above him in PK TOI per game in Nashville anyway, it's not like he was a Nashville PK ace or something.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Very reasonable contract, 3 year control with low AAV, good defensive player, don't see how that is negative value. Will also bag you 10 goals a season if he plays 82. Of course he warrants some value in return.

Why do people think he's good defensively? Because he's big and he plays on the 4th line? He is not good defensively and he's not a good skater. If he was good defensively Nashville wouldn't have signed Nick Cousins (who actually is good defensively) and traded Watson.

He does have a pretty good shot, he's big and physical. He will block shots, he will stand-up/fight ( but not very well) for teammates. Those are his positive attributes. His defensive abilities (lack thereof in his case) are not a positive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->