Value of: (OTT/NJD) Mike Hoffman to NJD

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
In reality and the way the season is going now, I don't think Shero will trade for someone like Hoffman unless it's a real fleece job. Meaning, he'll give Dorian a low ball offer and if Ottawa can't do much better as the deadline approaches, maybe Ottawa pulls the trigger.

So without all Ottawa fans going crazy, it would be like a second that can become a first (but unlikely the condition would be met) and maybe Steve Santini. Again, I understand Ottawa fans would be unhappy with this kind of deal, but that's my guess as to what Shero actually probably offered, which is why there wasn't a deal earlier.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Likely more than we're prepared to give up as an organization.

Shero specializes in vulturing off-the-radar, high-upside players--see Johansson, Palmieri, Hall, etc.

Considering he reiterated the "long game" rhetoric barely a week ago, I'd say he isn't quite prepared to enter New Jersey into any crazy bidding wars--see Duchene, Hoffman, etc.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
1st, Bratt, Blackwood. Probably add a 2nd. Yes, I know that's a lot.

By all accounts the team is not interested in moving him now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
1st, Bratt, Blackwood. Probably add a 2nd. Yes, I know that's a lot.

By all accounts the team is not interested in moving him now.

Every player in the league is going to return a 1st, a good prospect and a roster player. This year apparently. Not like there's a supply and demand thing in the NHL.

Reactions: HBK27

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
And clearly the difference between a 19 year old earning $750k a year for the next two years then RFA, that has 31 points so far this season, and a 28 year old earning over $5mil a year for the next two years then UFA, that has 37 points so far this season, is more than the team parting with the teenager needing to add a first round pick and another prospect. Nah, best to add a second round pick, too. :|

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I don’t think Shero is ready to call it quits on this team yet. I think the real evaluation will come when Schneider comes back. If they’re still losing then I don’t think Shero does anything. If they go on a winning streak he’ll try to make the best trade he can without giving up a 1st.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I think trading for Hoffman can happen whether the team snaps out of its funk or keeps sinking. He's a guy that would be here next year (contract) and possibly beyond. Being 28, he probably has 4-5 years of being a top six forward left. Nothing wrong with trading for him then based on how he plays this year and next giving him a 4-5 year extension.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Im sure the Sens are planning to get back to the playoffs next year. And Hoffman is one of their best offensive players.

If they were to trade him now it would take a big return.. something i don't see the Devils giving up as they're still a young team.

I'd imagine the Sens would ask for a proven NHL player who can help the team now (ie. next season) on a cheaper contract than Hoff. Also the usual 1st and/or prospect.

If the ask for Kane/Nash is 1st and 2 prospects, that gives you an idea of his value in the market right now.. Except Hoffman i think has more value as he's the best player of the 3 and doesn't have his contract expire this summer so while Kane/Nash might not return that much in the end, Hoffman definitely should, if not a bit more.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't think they move Hoffman. This is turning into a buyer's market this year and I don't think Ottawa is going to get a price they like for him. Better off just keeping Hoffman.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I don't think we are a contender this year. I would rather keep Santini and our first and whatever assets and make a bid on Van Riemsdyk newt year for free.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
NJ: 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, Santini, Quenneville

Would that do it for OTT fans? If theyre looking for futures that is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad