Confirmed Trade: [OTT/MTL] Canadiens trade Matthew Peca to Ottawa for Aaron Luchuk, 2022 7th

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
From what I gathered, Peca couldn't accept lesser duties in the AHL, so he was flipped to Ottawa, presumably because there's an opening in the NHL (Sens) with the departure of Pageau. I thought Peca was injured, but, whatever.

It's the same rationale as the deal that sent Barber and Varone elsewhere.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This is MB doing his AHL coach a favor as Peca was playing like shit and there was a dust up with the vets in Varone, Barber, Kinkaid and I'm guessing Peca as well since he got demoted to the 4th line in Laval so I'm sure he wasn't happy.

The Habs now have 13 picks in '20 and 9 in '21. yikes that's a lot of picks.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Well getting rid of all the deadwood is promising to me. Means making room for the talent and depth we just didnt have to fill in the spots.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Warm body that plays fast and hard so they can keep the top prospects in Belleville. Id imagine this means that Ennis is moving so likely upgrading the pick from a 7th to a 4th or 3rd.

Reactions: llamateizer

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Warm body that plays fast and hard so they can keep the top prospects in Belleville. Id imagine this means that Ennis is moving so likely upgrading the pick from a 7th to a 4th or 3rd.

... Hard? Then you're probably describing another Matthew Peca, because this one is absolutely nothing special in that regards. (And he's 5'9 or something). He is a pretty good skater though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
... Hard? Then you're probably describing another Matthew Peca, because this one is absolutely nothing special in that regards. (And he's 5'9 or something). He is a pretty good skater though.
Peca competes I know exactly who he is thanks. I also didnt say anything about his size not sure why you brought that up.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I was intrigued by Peca when he was a UFA, but he hasn't done too much intriguing since signing with MTL. Hopefully he can chip in at a reasonable rate til the end of the year, as I think its important to have some guys who can at least somewhat hang in the NHL and I don't want to have too many/any of the key kids leaving Belleville.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Ottawa needed a warm body. They wanted to maximise AHL playoff eligibility so they needed to assign some guys. You can only recall 4 players from now until the end of the year, so grabbing a couple of roster fillers makes sense.

Keep in mind too that Ottawa could trade for (or sign) extra roster fillers later on if they need to, since they won’t be concerned about NHL playoff eligibility.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa needed a warm body. They wanted to maximise AHL playoff eligibility so they needed to assign some guys. You can only recall 4 players from now until the end of the year, so grabbing a couple of roster fillers makes sense.

Keep in mind too that Ottawa could trade for (or sign) extra roster fillers later on if they need to, since they won’t be concerned about NHL playoff eligibility.
Why do they have to trade a draft pick to do it? They could've easily claimed guys off waivers.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Why do they have to trade a draft pick to do it? They could've easily claimed guys off waivers.
They wanted to free up contract spaces in case they are able to sign some guys when their junior/college seasons end.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad