Confirmed with Link: [OTT/MIN] Senators trade a 6th round pick in 2014 for Matt Kassian.

Berserker*

Its official, Don Brennan loves the guy.

Dean Brown's comments: Not surprised, you love all tough guys.

Well he was pushing for the Senators to trade Gonchar for Engelland at the start of the season. Engelland is decent but Gonchar adds more value to the team. That would have been a horrible trade.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Can't wait to see Kassian play for Ottawa although he could be in tough against the bigger Scott, but Carkner was able to handle Scott. Kassian was drafted in the 2nd rd so he must be a decent player who can skate & hit & hopefully do a little more than just fight. I prefer to wait to see if the guy can play to determine whether it was a good deal or not but IMO this team needed a heavyweight & he seems as good as any or better than most based on his score card.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can't wait to see Kassian play for Ottawa although he could be in tough against the bigger Scott, but Carkner was able to handle Scott. Kassian was drafted in the 2nd rd so he must be a decent player who can skate & hit & hopefully do a little more than just fight. I prefer to wait to see if the guy can play to determine whether it was a good deal or not but IMO this team needed a heavyweight & he seems as good as any or better than most based on his score card.

He had 3 goals, no assists in his draft year in the WHL. His career high in points is 18 in 72 GP, as a 20 year old in the WHL. His draft position has no bearing on his skills. He can throw his mitts, and that's it. We have a fighter, nothing more.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

He might be able to play defence well. I've read that he can play so I don't expect him to only be on the ice to fight.

Also as far as Scott goes...Kassian has never lost a fight in the NHL. I've seen his fights...he's a bad dude. Wouldn't bet against him anyway.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Can't wait to have him go toe-to-toe with Lucic.

Last time they fought was in Juniors and I wonder how they compare now:

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Can't wait to have him go toe-to-toe with Lucic.

Last time they fought was in Juniors and I wonder how they compare now:

"Are they gonna go? Yes, they're gonna go... Kassian and Loukitch."

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
His value is in allowing Neil to be a more effective player, which we saw against Buffalo. When Neil doesn't have to shoulder the entire enforcer role he can be the ultimate agitator, stir things up and create some offense.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I thought he did well in his 3m20s on the ice. He attempted/made a few hits and wasn't out of position, seemed to be a decent skater for a guy his size. But his best shift was after the Neil - Regher fight. Ott looked like he was looking to start something but Kassian was right next to him and pretty much told him to keep it cool. Ott was nearly invisible the rest of the game knowing he'd have to answer to Kassian if he took things further.

Last edited:

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
I'm sure if he didn't play the Sabres first goal brutally we'd have seen him a little more. Looking forward to him playing more as he gets used to the defensive system the Sens employ.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He did well in his first game even though he only played like 3 minutes.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
IMO he caused the first goal by Buffalo. Looked like he thought he was a center for a little while and went defending deep in our zone close to the crease which leaved the points wide open and Weber ended up scoring. Other then that he was fine, scared the **** out of Myers and a couple others lol.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I thought he did well in his 3m20s on the ice. He attempted/made a few hits and wasn't out of position, seemed to be a decent skater for a guy his size. But his best shift was after the Neil - Regher fight. Ott looked like he was looking to start something but Kassian was right next to him and pretty much told him to keep it cool. Ott was nearly invisible the rest of the game knowing he'd have to answer to Kassian if he took things further.

Exactly. You don't measure that in minutes or Corsi or any of that other nonsense. I like stats probably more than the next guy, but the value of the tough guys isn't part of the data... the guys on the team don't REALLY play two inches taller and ten pounds heavier - it just seems like they do. ;)

Bruise Bros 2426

Jul 17, 2011
Wings fan coming in peace.

Will Kassian be a regular in Ottawa's lineup for the rest of the season? Or 13th forward?

He seems to have made a good impression with his goal against the Isles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad