GDT: OTT @ DET I 2:00pm EST I 3/31/2017

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I'd say all of the goalies you listed haven't been good this year. I think the league average for sv% is usually around .915? Maybe a bit lower.

League avg sv% is .912 (Howard at .910). League avg GAA is 2.77 (Howard at 2.81). He's right around the average on a well-below average team with probably the worst defense in the league.

Edit: of the 31 starters, he's ahead of 12 of them in SV% and GAA. In other words, not the worst goalie even among starters.

Edit 2: just looked up Mrazek's stats. Since he's not been the starter anywhere, he ranks 68th among 91 goalies with recorded stats in SV% and 54th in GAA. In comparison, Howard is 47th and 44th respectively. That's the definition of a steady average league-wide. I don't know how much clearer the stats can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Of course he's not "very good."
He's had one good year since 12-13 ... and that was an injury plagued year where he played 26 games.
It was a sarcastic post indicating your focus on Howard which seems to occur every single game, now.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
This was a win I liked.

Athanasiou, Svechnikov, Larkin and Mantha were the best players on the ice.

Maybe Ottawa didn't care and maybe our vets didn't care...

...but the kids did care.

Loved watching them.
They should care. Vets have gotten paid. Not like Z's gonna get another contract after this. Or Kronwall.

These kids are playing for their future professional careers, millions of dollars, and some damn pride. I'd hope they come out hard every game.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Still 6th worst with a possible chance of finishing 4th worst and an outside shot at 3rd worst. Not much has changed.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Can't complain that our kids are too good. Larkin, Mantha, Svech, Hicketts.. these are the guys leading the way to victories right now. I like what I'm seeing.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
AA with a goal tonight. He's had a rough season - some of it self-inflicted.

But the kid is still hitting that 20G-20A pace even though he's playing for a coach that doesn't like him. Most recently, he's been taken off the powerplay - which really doesn't hurt because the powerplay is a clusterf*** anyway.

If AA had Mantha's or Nyquists minutes, he'd be a 25-25-50 to 30-30-60 guy and his defense would be no worse than either of those guys.

I'm looking forward to cheering him on when he plays for another team.

I assume Holland or Blashill will be back.
If Holland had balls he'd tell Blashill to suck it up and play AA 18-20 minutes a night, pump up those stats and then trade him and whatever else it will cost to land one of the big UFA defensemen next year.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I don't expect to be lied to.
I'm not sure who signs Ozzie's checks, but analysts should strive to some level of professionalism.

What do you think consistency means?

You can be consistently slightly below average.

As far as i am concerned Detroit sucks pretty bad, and Howard is destined to lose every game.

But very rarely are we losing 5-1; 6-1; 5-0.

So i would say Howard is not "losing" the games all by himself.
He has been consistently average on a bad team which makes his stats seem unimpressive... but not horrible.

So i'd say his statement is not a lie.

You like things to be black and white though...

Well from that point of view you are looking at Larkin + 22 Crap holes.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

But the kid is still hitting that 20G-20A pace even though he's playing for a coach that doesn't like him. Most recently, he's been taken off the powerplay - which really doesn't hurt because the powerplay is a cluster**** anyway.

If AA had Mantha's or Nyquists minutes, he'd be a 25-25-50 to 30-30-60 guy and his defense would be no worse than either of those guys.

If Holland had balls he'd tell Blashill to suck it up and play AA 18-20 minutes a night, pump up those stats and then trade him and whatever else it will cost to land one of the big UFA defensemen next year.
If he played those kind of minutes he'd be playing against competition that is much better than him, and that would eat him alive in his own end.

I can't wait for him to be on another team so we don't have to hear about how great he is and throwing a pity party for him when he clearly lacks work ethic and would be receiving more minutes if he actually hustled every game. Maybe he wouldn't go 10-15 games wtihout a point several times a year.

Great P/60 though

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Can anyone explain why the team are winning games now when they should just basically leave a walk over? THERES NOTHING TO GAIN FROM WINNING NOW, why are they even shooting pucks on the goals? The GM should just tell them to take early vacation.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Well we beat Buffalo and Ottawa which are actually worse than us.

Pittsburgh win was a surprise.

But yes they are not helping our draft position at all!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Can anyone explain why the team are winning games now when they should just basically leave a walk over? THERES NOTHING TO GAIN FROM WINNING NOW, why are they even shooting pucks on the goals? The GM should just tell them to take early vacation.
Players don't care about draft position as much as us.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Will these players, who trained most of their life, get better contracts for trying not to score and purposefully sucking to earn a team they may or may not be playing for get a better draft selection?

"Good job sucking last year, here's an extra $2 million on your next contract -- suck more and there'll be more where that came from **wink*wink**nudge*nudge**"

PS4:GM MODE: ON / OFF

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

But the kid is still hitting that 20G-20A pace even though he's playing for a coach that doesn't like him. Most recently, he's been taken off the powerplay - which really doesn't hurt because the powerplay is a cluster**** anyway.

Yeah, AA is taken off the PP, but Nyquist still getting his minutes. I'd love for once, just one time, for Blashill to take something away from Nyquist. Nyquist could go on a 30 game scoring drought, but he'd still be on the first line, and get his PP minutes lol. Nyquist can do no wrong. I would love nothing more than for Holland to trade him at the draft. I would take a 3rd rounder for him, I just want Nyquist to go away.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Pride my friend. And I am glad they have it.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
What do you think consistency means?

You can be consistently slightly below average.

As far as i am concerned Detroit sucks pretty bad, and Howard is destined to lose every game.

But very rarely are we losing 5-1; 6-1; 5-0.

So i would say Howard is not "losing" the games all by himself.
He has been consistently average on a bad team which makes his stats seem unimpressive... but not horrible.

So i'd say his statement is not a lie.

You like things to be black and white though...

Well from that point of view you are looking at Larkin + 22 Crap holes.

I don't think Howard has been consistent.
I think if you look at his game log, you'll see a heck of roller coaster.
Based on the dictionary definition of consistency, I don't see Howard as consistent.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yeah, AA is taken off the PP, but Nyquist still getting his minutes. I'd love for once, just one time, for Blashill to take something away from Nyquist. Nyquist could go on a 30 game scoring drought, but he'd still be on the first line, and get his PP minutes lol. Nyquist can do no wrong. I would love nothing more than for Holland to trade him at the draft. I would take a 3rd rounder for him, I just want Nyquist to go away.

Of the 31 players with 1100 5 on 5 minutes,
Nyquist ranks 30th in Points/60
Zetterberg 29th.
Larkin is like 15th or so.

It's kind of weird how much Z and Nyquist are rewarded for mediocrity.
I mean, Z's the captain. So there's that.
But Nyquist? He's just riding the captain's coattails.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Of the 31 players with 1100 5 on 5 minutes,
Nyquist ranks 30th in Points/60
Zetterberg 29th.
Larkin is like 15th or so.

It's kind of weird how much Z and Nyquist are rewarded for mediocrity.
I mean, Z's the captain. So there's that.
But Nyquist? He's just riding the captain's coattails.

It's ridiculous how Blashill has used Z all year long as the 1C. If Blashill picked names out of a hat for the lines, they would probably be better than the lines he chooses to go with. Bertuzzi has been playing on the 1st line for what, 15 games now, yet AA has never been given this opportunity. Why? Blashill for whatever reason has a personal vendetta against both AA and Mantha. Sometimes criticism is definitely warranted towards them and they are far from perfect. I just hate how there are never any repercussions for Nyquist.

Just curious, who is 31st? Nyquist has literally been on the first line all year, as well as the 1st PP, and won't even hit 40 points. Pathetic.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I don't think Howard has been consistent.
I think if you look at his game log, you'll see a heck of roller coaster.
Based on the dictionary definition of consistency, I don't see Howard as consistent.

Rinne hasn't been consistent, he has alot of good games, then one like tonight. But also a SO every now and then.
Lundqvist has been solid for stretches and crap for stretches.

I mean im not sure what goalie is consistent.

Its kind of like that old saying "if only that forward wasn't a streaky scorer. If he could just score every night....

Ya thats the superstars... everyone else is inconsistent :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad