Confirmed with Link: [OTT/DAL] Gonchar to Dallas Stars for a Cond. 6th Round Pick in 2013

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm pretty sure that Gonchar leaving now makes Ottawa the youngest team in the NHL.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
The whole thing kind of sucks since Gonchar was probably the best option for us going into next season. It's going to be really hard to improve on this year's result without him. A 6th round pick is nice, but isn't much.

Long term though, we needed to get younger and this trade is one of the few ways that was going to happen. We need options for the next 5-10 seasons, not answers for 1-2 seasons. Ottawa took a big risk giving him a fairly lengthy contract three years ago. It's like playing the lottery with worse odds each year.

We have a lot of options next year to fill his role. Between Benoit, Wiericoch, Borowicki, and Gryba I trust that management can find a way to fill two rosters spots. The other 4 positions are solid. Plus, if Phillips retires next year, we'll need more young guys with experience to replace his minutes as well. We have a lot in the pipeline and a finite number of contracts we can give out.

Five million was a lot of money to shell out for a mid-range team like Ottawa. If we aren't going to contend, no need to spend it. If anything, I think it makes it more likely that we keep Alfredsson as well.

Good luck Gonchar, you'll be missed. Glad you're in the west.

It is going to be hard to accept, but there's a good chance that we take a step back next season. We had some vets who really carried us last season (well, Gonch and Alfie) and if we do lose those two it could be a tough road. The last two seasons have taught them, hopefully, that it's more about the work than the talent. But those two represent a lot of talent.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
That may be true but you also have to consider the fact that ALL our young players are still developing. And we have a ton. That means the likes of Conacher, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Turris, Smith, Greening, Cowen, Gryba, Wiercioch ... the list just goes on and on, will all have one more professional year under their belt and will most likely only get better from last year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That may be true but you also have to consider the fact that ALL our young players are still developing. And we have a ton. That means the likes of Conacher, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Turris, Smith, Greening, Cowen, Gryba, Wiercioch ... the list just goes on and on, will all have one more professional year under their belt and will most likely only get better from last year.

Not to mention that they will probably add at least one or two new young guys to next yr's team beisdes the guys you have listed. My guess is Stone & maybe Hoffman or Ceci.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Not to mention that they will probably add at least one or two new young guys to next yr's team beisdes the guys you have listed. My guess is Stone & maybe Hoffman or Ceci.

Plus there's also Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek, and Anderson who hopefully will be back healthy and ready to play.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Probably wishful thinking to expect Andy to repeat this past season.

We gave up a tonne of shots and quality scoring chances night in and night out. We shouldn't have been a playoff team, let alone won a series.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah but next year Karlsson should be back by mid season, we'll have Spezza back healthy hopefully and we still have dark horses to make the team in Peumpel, Neosen, Ceci, Stone, Prince,....etc and hopefully our players take steps forward from last year. Like Zibanejad Silf Conacher Cowen Pageau etc.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I expect andy to have his best season of his career next season , and after that his play should decline, and probably dethrowned by lehner after next season

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I expect andy to have his best season of his career next season , and after that his play should decline, and probably dethrowned by lehner after next season

Better than this season and over a full 82 games? That's a pretty high order and lofty expectations. Last season was epic, all-time amazing.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah but next year Karlsson should be back by mid season, we'll have Spezza back healthy hopefully and we still have dark horses to make the team in Peumpel, Neosen, Ceci, Stone, Prince,....etc and hopefully our players take steps forward from last year. Like Zibanejad Silf Conacher Cowen Pageau etc.

You mean Karlsson will be back to 100% by then, right? Karlsson is good to play, and he's only going to get healthier in the off season. He's just not at 100% yet. I don't see him missing half the season. Not even 15% of the season, unless he somehow aggravates the injury during training camp >.> *knock on wood*

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
yeah, i think that's what he meant, though i'd caution people expecting karlsson back to 100% of his peak at ANY time next season. I still think karlsson's best is yet to come, but next season will be a challenge as he continues to rehab, and i dont expect peak karlsson untill 2014-15.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
yeah, i think that's what he meant, though i'd caution people expecting karlsson back to 100% of his peak at ANY time next season. I still think karlsson's best is yet to come, but next season will be a challenge as he continues to rehab, and i dont expect peak karlsson untill 2014-15.

Good. I was worried that something horrible had happened that I hadn't heard about >.<

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
as for andy, he had a .941 last season. That's unsustainable. Expect something closer to .920. hope for something closer to .930.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
as for andy, he had a .941 last season. That's unsustainable. Expect something closer to .920. hope for something closer to .930.

In his last 99 games as a Sen including the Playoffs, he has a .925 save percentage; That 99 game span starts just after the sens lousy start to the 2011/12 season omitting his first 5 starts. If you add how he finished the prior season with the Sens, his Sv% jumps to .927 over 117 games.

So aside from 5 really bad games to start a season with limited defensive support, Andy has been all world for the sens, and I think it's safe to expect him to continue being very very good.

(sidenote: those 5 games I've cherry picked out of the stats were really lousy, not just statistically for him, but for the team as a whole. I'm still astonished at how big an impact removing them has.)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I expect .930. He is that good now. And the team helps him to a high percentage by clearing rebounds (all skaters help) and forcing perimeter shots.

I expect us to continue to allow a lot of shots. Not like this year where we led the league much of the season, but still in the top half of the league.

I think Anderson is the Senators Tim Thomas, except he is luckily years younger then when Thomas found his A game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I expect .930. He is that good now. And the team helps him to a high percentage by clearing rebounds (all skaters help) and forcing perimeter shots.

I expect us to continue to allow a lot of shots. Not like this year where we led the league much of the season, but still in the top half of the league.

I think Anderson is the Senators Tim Thomas, except he is luckily years younger then when Thomas found his A game.

To be honest, I thing our PK had a lot to do with this; we were among the most penalized teams and a good PK meant we spent the 5th most time on the PK which means a lot of shots on net. Or Shots allowed at 5 vs 5 was middle of the pack; 14th most in raw numbers, but 10th most allowed per 60 mins of 5 vs 5. If you look at the numbers in only close situations (within 1 goal), the Sens faired a little better at 13th league with per 60mins.

The sens weren't bad at preventing shots against, or at least not as bad as it looks at first glance. But at the same time, we were bad at preventing them on the PK, both in that we took tons on penalties, and that we allowed tons of shots per 60mins on the pk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->