News: [OTT] Craig Anderson not being offered new contract. Going to UFA

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Anyone trying to pull the loyalty card are either just being dishonest or know nothing about the situation. Any team in the league in that position would make that same call. Preds will do it with Rinne most likely next season. It's a part of the business, its not anything unique to the Senators.

Yep, sometimes you just need to turn the page and move on. Money, performance, age etc. all factor into it. Too bad some people don’t understand that.

Reactions: Armourboy

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
If the Leafs decide to move on from Freddie, and we're able to get a good return, I wouldn't mind going with a tandem of Campbell and Anderson. That's decent depth and may not cost much either.

Nothing like bad goaltending to go with a team that has an overall bad team defence system.

remember the last two years backup games? I believe we had like 3 wins total.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I hope he sticks around another season and plays on a contender as a back up. For one reason is I’d like to see him have a shot at putting his name on a cup and the other reason is I would be interested to see how much his save percentage raises with an NHL defence in front of him

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nothing like bad goaltending to go with a team that has an overall bad team defence system.

remember the last two years backup games? I believe we had like 3 wins total.

When we went from Hasek to Emery, the Senators had to learn team defence pretty damned quick, and did so. ;)

Reactions: Leafs87

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
When we went from Hasek to Emery, the Senators had to learn team defence pretty damned quick, and did so. ;)

In a weird way the Sens have more of competitive aura to them. That 2013 or so season with Greening as a star and literally everyone having a career year and the miracle ECF team doesn’t happen in Toronto. They have a culture where teams like those would of finished bottom 6 missing out on the lottery pick. Just how things go in Toronto

Leafs technically missed the playoffs this year. Anderson and Campbell tandem would assure we do before the qualifier round next year

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
An organization that demands loyalty but gives none in return. He's respected in Ottawa and it's not like they're going to compete anyway.
Employing him for a decade, and having him on a 4.5 AAV contract until he's almost 40 isn't loyal? If anything he's a guy they've been most loyal to. But he's clearly been starting to decline for a couple years now, and this way, he won't be remembered as the goalie in his 40s that ended up losing his starting position and going out of the team on a bad note.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
An organization that demands loyalty but gives none in return. He's respected in Ottawa and it's not like they're going to compete anyway.
You can't just keep re-signing him just because... Eventually you have to move on when the goalie is no longer very good and it's his time.

Reactions: Darcy Loewen

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This guy gave everything he had to the Sens organization for nearly a decade and this is how they thank him? No wonder Ottawa is the laughing stock of the league.
What...? They called him the best goalie in their history? How is that bad treatment? Because a rebuilding team doesn't want to sign a 39 year old goalie who isn't very good and need to try out their next round of goalies?

I swear some people don't even think for a second before they start typing.

Reactions: h2 and Darcy Loewen

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In a weird way the Sens have more of competitive aura to them. That 2013 or so season with Greening as a star and literally everyone having a career year and the miracle ECF team doesn’t happen in Toronto. They have a culture where teams like those would of finished bottom 6 missing out on the lottery pick. Just how things go in Toronto

Leafs technically missed the playoffs this year. Anderson and Campbell tandem would assure we do before the qualifier round next year

That was the Pesky Sens year when Karlsson, Anderson and Spezza were all out at the same time for massive amounts of the season and the team just rallied around their absence.

We sort of had your team in the late 90s and early 2000s, when we had all kinds of skill and optimism and lost to the Leafs over and over again with their gritty shot-blocking veterans, playoff experience and solid goaltending. By the time a lot of our guys had earned that playoff experience, they applied it to other teams (e.g. Hossa, Chara, Kelly) and won Stanley Cups in those cities.

We didn't have a lot of veterans because this was pre-cap and they were expensive. We had to accumulate the experience instead and it was frustrating. We felt that the team deserved better and we couldn't figure out why they couldn't progress.

I don't think there's a shortcut to learning how to win in the playoffs, aside from maybe importing it. In 2017, we made it further than anyone expected, but we did it on the backs of experienced guys like MacArthur, Ryan, Brassard, Phaneuf and Methot playing hard-working roles while Karlsson wowed the casuals.

I think the Leafs honestly believe that they can beat anyone in the league (and have) with their talent, and that's problematic when teams just refuse to let them do it in the post-season. I know it's unfair to blame Freddie Andersen for a series loss when scoring is tight, but sports aren't fair, and sometimes you just need your goalie to win a game. Lalime went 0 for 4 in Game 7 starts with the Senators and that's just not good enough regardless of how the team in front of him plays.

The Senators have a weird playoff history of a decade of contending status or so (2000s) and underachieving as favourites, followed by a decade of relative mediocrity (2010s) but winning a series here and there from time to time as underdogs.

I think Anderson played a big part of that - he was stellar in the post-season and made any series potentially winnable.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
That was the Pesky Sens year when Karlsson, Anderson and Spezza were all out at the same time for massive amounts of the season and the team just rallied around their absence.

We sort of had your team in the late 90s and early 2000s, when we had all kinds of skill and optimism and lost to the Leafs over and over again with their gritty shot-blocking veterans, playoff experience and solid goaltending. By the time a lot of our guys had earned that playoff experience, they applied it to other teams (e.g. Hossa, Chara, Kelly) and won Stanley Cups in those cities.

We didn't have a lot of veterans because this was pre-cap and they were expensive. We had to accumulate the experience instead and it was frustrating. We felt that the team deserved better and we couldn't figure out why they couldn't progress.

I don't think there's a shortcut to learning how to win in the playoffs, aside from maybe importing it. In 2017, we made it further than anyone expected, but we did it on the backs of experienced guys like MacArthur, Ryan, Brassard, Phaneuf and Methot playing hard-working roles while Karlsson wowed the casuals.

I think the Leafs honestly believe that they can beat anyone in the league (and have) with their talent, and that's problematic when teams just refuse to let them do it in the post-season. I know it's unfair to blame Freddie Andersen for a series loss when scoring is tight, but sports aren't fair, and sometimes you just need your goalie to win a game. Lalime went 0 for 4 in Game 7 starts with the Senators and that's just not good enough regardless of how the team in front of him plays.

The Senators have a weird playoff history of a decade of contending status or so (2000s) and underachieving as favourites, followed by a decade of relative mediocrity (2010s) and winning a series here and there from time to time as underdogs.

I think Anderson played a big part of that - he was stellar in the post-season and made any series potentially winnable.

This is one of the best posts I’ve read on this website. This is bang on.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Guy is so underrated in the playoffs. Karlsson's godly performance in 2017 definitely overshadowed how good Andy really was. Would be a great backup option for a playoff contender. VAN would be a good fit if they don't sign Markstrom. Andy would be a great backup for Demko and give DiPietro some more time in Utica to develop.

Could maybe see him going back to FLA where his kids live and go to school. Same deal there; solid cheap backup for Bob while giving Knight some more time to develop.

He spent a lot of time coving Karlssons horrific turn overs that is for sure

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
There's loyalty and then there's re-signing a 39-year old goalie who had a .901 SV% and 3.37 GAA over the last 3 seasons.

Totally a fair point, but most goalies would probably have bad numbers behind an awful team

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Yeah
Totally a fair point, but most goalies would probably have bad numbers behind an awful team

The team was bad, but he played the majority of the time behind the "best" version of the team, before they traded people at the deadline and he stunk worse than the other goalies.

He played 1800 minutes last year. The other two Sens goalies put up 1000 and 1300 minutes respectively. That isnt a statistically insignificant gap.

Hes going to be 40 next season. If he has any left in the tank, there are better spots for him

He would serve zero use on the 2020-21 Sens.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He’s 39, and has understandably fallen into steep decline.
It’s punks like you that dishonor the loyalty well run NHL teams famously show all their UFAs.

The GOOD NHL TEAMS cradle their LONGTIME UFA WARRIORS in their arms and whisper sweet nothings in their ears while swearing the eternal bond of love shared between them will never be broken.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad