News: [OTT] Craig Anderson not being offered new contract. Going to UFA

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
An organization that demands loyalty but gives none in return. He's respected in Ottawa and it's not like they're going to compete anyway.
So you would keep him at 39 just because he still wants to play? What a funny/weird take.

99% of Sens fans will tell you his best years are behind him and it's time for him to retire and be with his wife.

Reactions: Darcy Loewen

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lol.

Don't get the loyalty comments here. The Sens organization treated him just great. The guy's 39, and has had awful numbers for the last 3 years. The Sens honoured his contract, didn't threaten to buy him out, and gave him a prominent role in goaltending for all 3 of those years. A lot of other organizations would have had him riding pine or even a bus in the AHL after year 1.5.

So what? The Sens should sign him, merely because he wants to keep playing at 39? Even at 39, Anderson is very old for a goalie. He's had a great career, and was collecting a solid salary for the last 9 years. It's probably time to hang them up, and Ottawa doesn't owe him another victory lap.

What about loyalty to the players who have been waiting for this guy to retire for their shot.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
So you would keep him at 39 just because he still wants to play? What a funny/weird take.

99% of Sens fans will tell you his best years are behind him and it's time for him to retire and be with his wife.

Or at least be closer to his wife. Florida would be a perfect place for him since his family lives there. It might work out really well for his family to move on from Ottawa.

Reactions: guyzeur

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
If the Leafs decide to move on from Freddie, and we're able to get a good return, I wouldn't mind going with a tandem of Campbell and Anderson. That's decent depth and may not cost much either.

Reactions: exporta

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
This guy gave everything he had to the Sens organization for nearly a decade and this is how they thank him? No wonder Ottawa is the laughing stock of the league.

If it makes you feel better, Anderson should have been moved along about 4-5 years ago. He has nothing to complain about. Ottawa treated him great for the better part of a decade.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This guy gave everything he had to the Sens organization for nearly a decade and this is how they thank him? No wonder Ottawa is the laughing stock of the league.

An organization that demands loyalty but gives none in return. He's respected in Ottawa and it's not like they're going to compete anyway.

Y’all are boring. My favourite sens goaltender of all time but give me a break.

Teemeu Selänne. That’s for both of you.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I for one am reassured that no matter how pedestrian the story, someone on the internet will find an outrage angle.

He's the Senators all-time playoff save percentage leader with a .928 in 40 games.

I could see him providing some experienced relief for a team out there but there are also usually a lot of goalies kicking around looking for jobs.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
As a Leafs fan I've always liked/respected Andersen. It's too bad he couldn't finish career up in Ottawa in some ways, but in other ways I'd love to see him get a chance at backing up a contender, he's got a potential Cinderella "starter isn't performing in the playoffs so they try Andersen and he steals the show" narrative up his sleeve.

Reactions: exporta and NyQuil

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
As a Leafs fan I've always liked/respected Andersen. It's too bad he couldn't finish career up in Ottawa in some ways, but in other ways I'd love to see him get a chance at backing up a contender, he's got a potential Cinderella "starter isn't performing in the playoffs so they try Andersen and he steals the show" narrative up his sleeve.

Trust me, he’s done. I’d be surprised if anyone wanted him as a backup. Lot of other options out there.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Really? So we should just give him a contract for the fun of it knowing full well he won't play? Good plan, we'll get right on it.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Anderson is a quality person and gave Ottawa 10 mostly good years.

when the time come, does he get the Phillips treatment, is what I’d like to know.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Anderson is a quality person and gave Ottawa 10 mostly good years.

when the time come, does he get the Phillips treatment, is what I’d like to know.

Number being retired you mean? I don’t think he deserves it, but it could happen.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

How dare they not re-sign a 39 year old goalie who wasn't going to play because there are enough goalies in the system now that need playing time.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't think Phillips deserves it either, but I don't get to make those decisions. ;)

I tend to agree, but I get why they did it. Guy spent his whole career in Ottawa. It’s like Ken Daneyko in New Jersey. Stay at home dman who spends his whole career with one team.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Its funny the first day Andersen was rumoured to being shopped by the Leafs I thought Ottawa's Anderson would be a good fit.
Classy, veteran guy who has always performed in the playoffs, Can handle Canadian hockey media, and can face a high volume of shots. Just don't ask him to play more than 30 games and I think you are fine with him as a 1B.

I wonder what his contract would be?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I for one am reassured that no matter how pedestrian the story, someone on the internet will find an outrage angle.

He's the Senators all-time playoff save percentage leader with a .928 in 40 games.

I could see him providing some experienced relief for a team out there but there are also usually a lot of goalies kicking around looking for jobs.
Imo if Markstrom walks Anderson would be perfect on a two year deal in Vancouver to platoon with Demko. I don’t know what kind of dollars Anderson would get though, but guessing 3-4 million per season, so total contract of 6-8 million for the two years?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Imo if Markstrom walks Anderson would be perfect on a two year deal in Vancouver to platoon with Demko. I don’t know what kind of dollars Anderson would get though, but guessing 3-4 million per season, so total contract of 6-8 million for the two years?

I honestly think he could be a bargain if its with a competitive team.

Darcy Loewen said:
Because I’m an Ottawa fan?

As another Ottawa fan, I think playing for a team that has no hope of competing is part of it.

I still think he might have a little gas left in the tank for the right team (not the Senators).

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Anyone trying to pull the loyalty card are either just being dishonest or know nothing about the situation. Any team in the league in that position would make that same call. Preds will do it with Rinne most likely next season. It's a part of the business, its not anything unique to the Senators.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad