News: [OTT] Craig Anderson not being offered new contract. Going to UFA

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I actually think he could be an interesting backup option on a good team. Ottawa wasn’t exactly a powerhouse the past few years so it’s possible there’s more left in the tank than it appears on the surface. I wouldn’t want him on the Leafs but a more defense first team would find him an adequate option at a low price in free agency if he doesn’t retire.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
End of the road as a starter but would make for a nice back-up/mentor somewhere. Full marks to this guy though. Carved out a really nice career and is on the cusp of 300 wins.

Reactions: qqaz and Korg

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If he's going to UFA, it means he still wants to play. Why not keep him as a back-up option at least?
Because Ottawa has two goalies signed on one way contracts and Craig Anderson is 39 years old, coming off a terrible season, and has no future in Ottawa during a rebuild.

It would have been pointless for both team and player.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
An organization that demands loyalty but gives none in return. He's respected in Ottawa and it's not like they're going to compete anyway.

Odd statement there, it was pretty much a given that he would be gone after this contract and it just makes sense. Normal to see teams move on from older goalies who don't play well. Re-signing him to have him out of the lineup does not seem like a very good move.

Even if we're not trying to win, it would be idiotic to take some playing time from a guy like Hogberg who vastly outplayed Anderson and will actually have an evolving role in this rebuild just because of "loyalty". This team has been loyal to Anderson ever since he was acquired from Colorado. The team decided to trade a young Robin Lehner and a young Ben Bishop just to keep Anderson as starter. If this is not commitment and loyalty to you I don't have a clue what loyalty means.

That would be like saying the Jets not signing Toby Enstrom was not being loyal.

Anyways this is a knee jerk reaction type comment where everyone just shits on the Sens for everything they do. This time it's not the case, it would be counterproductive to keep Anderson and it really makes no sense at all. Loyalty only goes so far, no team will keep a player if they can't play at the level that they need to. Especially if they would take some playing time off of some younger developing players.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Probably retirement or finds a back-up job somewhere

And I find it funny it took me this... long, to realize that Ottawa and Toronto had starters with the name surname, but spelt differently.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Guy is so underrated in the playoffs. Karlsson's godly performance in 2017 definitely overshadowed how good Andy really was. Would be a great backup option for a playoff contender. VAN would be a good fit if they don't sign Markstrom. Andy would be a great backup for Demko and give DiPietro some more time in Utica to develop.

Could maybe see him going back to FLA where his kids live and go to school. Same deal there; solid cheap backup for Bob while giving Knight some more time to develop.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
This guy gave everything he had to the Sens organization for nearly a decade and this is how they thank him? No wonder Ottawa is the laughing stock of the league.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
An organization that demands loyalty but gives none in return. He's respected in Ottawa and it's not like they're going to compete anyway.

Oh, get lost will you? The guy has been with the organization for a decade and is 39 years old. He’s had three bad years in a row. Ottawa has two goalies under contract. Why bring Anderson back? It makes no sense to keep him unless pro sports is just about being nice and not hurting people’s feelings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad