Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CBJ] Duchene and Bergman for Abramov, Davidson, 1st, and Conditional 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
now they do. Plus it could serve as a last ditch effort to convince panarin to stay or at least be a backup option in case Panarin walks. Well unless Duchene also walks.

Even with Duchene they don't.

You go for a rental when you think you have a team near the top and it's that one last player to put you on top. Look have you watched the Habs-Jackets game? Doesn't feel like it's a team that's there. The Habs are better and I would never do that.

And doing a move hoping that another player stays is ridiculous. I hope it's not the case.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
So many people are underestimating the quality of team in Columbus. Add an asset like Duchene and you can see improvement all throughout the lineup as players move down lines.

Panarin - Dubois - Atkinson
Bjorkstrand - Duchene - Anderson
Foligno - Wennberg - Duclair
Robinson - Dubinsky - Jenner
Sedlak, Nash, Hannikainen

Center depth looks much better now. Scoring moves farther down the lineup. The defense is young and probably needs to add a veteran with some playoff pedigree, but they are contender quality.

Not with Bobrovsky giving up muffins every playoffs

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
Way off topic but do you play poker?

Have not heard anyone use EV outside that game but ofc it applies to all kinds of things....
Maybe he replied already but expected value is a common term in statistics. That being said serious poker players learn basic stats.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

You go for a rental when you think you have a team near the top and it's that one last player to put you on top. Look have you watched the Habs-Jackets game? Doesn't feel like it's a team that's there. The Habs are better and I would never do that.

And doing a move hoping that another player stays is ridiculous. I hope it's not the case.

The habs have a better goalie. Columbus is the better team, and they added a better forward to theirs than Montreal has on the roster in Duchene.

Im not sure I agree with going all in with core pieces being UFAs, but theyre giving it a shot. After Tampa . . . the east is wide open. Especially outside the Atlantic. The Pens and Caps are beatable . . . Columbus could very well make the conference finals and anything can happen in a series.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
This guy is going back to Ottawa and will be their next captain

That last line makes me think that Duchene is not coming back.

“I can’t wait to tell my son about his time here (in Ottawa) when he’s old enough”.

If he was planning on coming back in the summer and accepting the Sens 8yr offer (reportedly 8x8), he wouldn’t need to tell his son about Ottawa when he was old enough.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

“I can’t wait to tell my son about his time here (in Ottawa) when he’s old enough”.

If he was planning on coming back in the summer and accepting the Sens 8yr deal offer, he wouldn’t need to tell his son about Ottawa when he was old enough.

Yeah Duchene isn't coming back. He's going to go to a team thats a lock for the playoffs. If he feels thats Columbus . . . who knows. I'd suspect not if they lose both Panarin and Brobo. But who knows. He may love it there, its a great city.

Reactions: Toe Pick

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

If he was planning on coming back in the summer and accepting the Sens 8yr deal offer, he wouldn’t need to tell his son about Ottawa when he was old enough.

Who knows what the future holds but by all accounts he loves Ottawa so maybe they have a good a shot as any to sign him in July.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
This seems like a typical Kekalainen move.
Look at me! I'm bold!
The team has been 'aight while he has been running things but not many of these high profile trades have worked out for them.
They've been spinning their wheels for years now.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Who knows what the future holds but by all accounts he loves Ottawa so maybe they have a good a shot as any to sign him in July.

I only see that happening if there's new ownership.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This seems like a typical Kekalainen move.
Look at me! I'm bold!
The team has been 'aight while he has been running things but not many of these high profile trades have worked out for them.
They've been spinning their wheels for years now.
What?
He traded Anisimov and Dano, 4th and some randoms to Chicago for Saad. Then traded Saad for Panarin.

He gets Panarin for Anisimov, Dano, 4th round pick, Anton Forsberg, Jeremy Morin etc. and you complain about his trades?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
It's definitely bold move.

Too bad Duchene is a bust player and the chance of CBJ getting to the cup with this trade.... well nobody believes in that.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH

As a CBJ fan I agree and think there are more moves to come. I believe the Duchene acquisition is for a couple of reasons I stated earlier in this thread but will restate here:

1. To keep the CBJ competitive once they ship Panarin out.
2. We desperately need a long term solution at center and now we can offer Duchene a mega 8 year deal that nobody will be able to touch. He may ultimately pass on it but I fully believe it will be the most lucrative offer for him. We know there is no chance Panarin signs to pursue his lifelong dream of a permanent sun tan.

So IMO, look for the CBJ to deal Panarin (to recoup some of those assets dealt for Duchene) and then make a few more smaller scale moves to booster the roster further to stay in the hunt.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

What should Columbus do? Just not try to upgrade their team if they have an opportunity?

People don't really factor in this concept sometimes, but you can't just stay mediocre forever. Eventually you have to take a shot when there an opportunity. One of their best players likely isn't coming back next year and they had an opportunity to upgrade their team while that player is still in a CBJ uniform.

This is my opinion of course, but they have plenty of talent to make a run. If Bob gets hot they have a real shot.

Reactions: BHD and ZeHockeyFan

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
As a CBJ fan I agree and think there are more moves to come. I believe the Duchene acquisition is for a couple of reasons I stated earlier in this thread but will restate here:

2. We desperately need a long term solution at center and now we can offer Duchene a mega 8 year deal that nobody will be able to touch. He may ultimately pass on it but I fully believe it will be the most lucrative offer for him. We know there is no chance Panarin signs to pursue his lifelong dream of a permanent sun tan.

So IMO, look for the CBJ to deal Panarin (to recoup some of those assets dealt for Duchene) and then make a few more smaller scale moves to booster the roster further to stay in the hunt.

You really think they're going to trade Panarin? You're probably closer to the situation I guess, but seems like this was an all-in type move.

Reactions: pckstpr31

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
You're conveniently ignoring having Duchene for a year and a half in the value there and you're using massive amounts of hindsight to mention Ottawa's 1st being this high.

Having Duchene benefited them how? They finished 3rd worst last year and are currently worst this year.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
You really think they're going to trade Panarin? You're probably closer to the situation I guess, but seems like this was an all-in type move.

Yep. I 100% believe it.

Jarmo and JD are draft and develop guys and I just don't believe they will risk letting all this walk for a potential playoff spot -- I mean as of today we aren't even in the playoffs (1 point out).

OUT IN 2019-2020:
Panarin, Bob, Duchene, 2019 1st, Abramov, Davidson

IN:
Potential playoffs

You better win the damn cup as that is a disastrous exodus for a franchise in one offseason for a team that I don't think most believe is a legit cup contender. Senior mgmt is paid to think with their heads not their hearts. I just don't see them being that reckless. But we'll see how it unfolds.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg

The bolded is kind of what I expect to happen. CBJ fans were big on getting a "help now" player for Panarin instead of futures. They're in the position now where they could trade Panarin out for a future's package to recoup those assets and then hope to resign Duchene.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Mar 26, 2010
Not sure I see Duchene signing with Columbus at the end of this. Don’t see him tolerating Torts. My bet, he is a UFA on July 1st.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I wouldn't be surprised if Sens had a better offer from Nashville or Winnipeg but those picks are guaranteed late 20s. Columbus is only a few points in a playoff spot and could even miss, giving the Sens a lottery pick.

Reactions: 666
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad