OT: Other Sports aka #Broncos #SellRockiesSell #Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I’m starting to realize how endorsement deals have taken over the league. Guys seemingly don’t care anymore about making salary when they can make millions on shoe deals. Play for Golden State and just sign a shoe deal and you’ll be ok.

Even in football Saquon Barkley just announced he’s never going to touch his salary and only live off his endorsement deals.

Every CBA we hear about players wanting more money because the owners have these huge TV deals. Maybe the players should get paid less because they have these ultra rich endorsement deals? Just sayin - let’s put out all the money on the table. If the owners got TV and the players got endorsement deals then why are the local taxpayers still coughing up dough for stadiums? It’s a little rediculous

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
I'm still really excited for the Nuggets! And in any case, this free agency is peaking my interest a little bit. How could it not? Parity may be small, but it's still like watching Messi and Ronaldo go at it: Lakers, Warriors, Rockets.

Reactions: cgf

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
In the past super teams were more built through drafting and trading. Now it's superstars going to powerhouse teams in free agency. NBA is one of the sports where it works, since you only have five players on the court and stars can play so many minutes.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
In the past super teams were more built through drafting and trading. Now it's superstars going to powerhouse teams in free agency. NBA is one of the sports where it works, since you only have five players on the court and stars can play so many minutes.
To be fair, GSW are a team that became a powerhouse through drafting and they were able to get KD because they had plenty of cap space just because of the fact their star players have been all home-grown and on great contracts.

As for Boogie, teams didn't show intetest, he went back to GSW and asked to be a part of the team. He will win his ring, doesn't have to rush in his recovery, get healthy and rake it in next year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
People act like this era of superteams in the NBA is, like, a new thing.

Well I’ve never paid attention to the NBA. But considering that the East is basically a clown show and the rockets are the only team that can “compete” against the Warriors is ridiculous.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
People act like this era of superteams in the NBA is, like, a new thing.

I read something this morning that really put it all in perspective. The NBA has been around for 72 years, the championship has been won 59 times by 8 teams (the Lakers and Celtics alone have combined for 33).

It has always been this way.

Sports_Illustrated_716357_19970310-001-250.jpg

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
To be fair, GSW are a team that became a powerhouse through drafting and they were able to get KD because they had plenty of cap space just because of the fact their star players have been all home-grown and on great contracts.

As for Boogie, teams didn't show intetest, he went back to GSW and asked to be a part of the team. He will win his ring, doesn't have to rush in his recovery, get healthy and rake it in next year.
To be fair, Andre Igoudala was a free agent signing too. Take him away and the Warriors have at least one fewer title, and they probably would have lost game 1 against Houston and thus the series this year too. He's not the same level of a player as Curry or Durant but he's nearly as important for their success.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I like basketball, but I don't know how people can enjoy such a mercenary league.

The same reason we watch the CL, it’s cool to see great players doing amazing things. And for some of us watching greatness is a lot more exciting than watching artificial parity amongst mediocre teams.

Same reason there were people who enjoyed the late 90s/early 2000s NHL more than the current brand where every team does some things well but has its flaws...only without the modern era’s increased depth of talent :dunno:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Meh on the sport, absolutely hate the league. Incredibly boring league.

It’s different if you like the sport. I know my Knicks have no chance, but they wouldn’t have a chance even if the NBA made it as easy for them as the NHL does.

So I care more about how incredible the team that wins it all plays, than what jersey they wear :dunno:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The same reason we watch the CL, it’s cool to see great players doing amazing things. And for some of us watching greatness is a lot more exciting than watching artificial parity amongst mediocre teams.

Same reason there were people who enjoyed the late 90s/early 2000s NHL more than the current brand where every team does some things well but has its flaws :dunno:
Lol, there is nothing more artificial than all-star calibre players joining on one team and absolutely destroying the league. Miami Heat is a perfect example of this. If you want amazing players to do amazing things, that's what international competition is for.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lol, there is nothing more artificial than all-star calibre players joining on one team and absolutely destroying the league. Miami Heat is a perfect example of this. If you want amazing players to do amazing things, that's what international competition is for.

Then why do you watch football?

Reactions: BrickAHL

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Then why do you watch football?
True that the domestic league suffers from some mercenary-ing. However, football has the international sector where amazing things happen. Including majority of those teams who poach all the good talent tend to have wonderful history and aura which combines into something that Golden State never ****ing had, Cleveland never ****ing had, and Miami never ****ing head.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
True that the domestic league suffers from some mercenary-ing. However, football has the international sector where amazing things happen. Including majority of those teams who poach all the good talent tend to have wonderful history and aura which combines into something that Golden State never ****ing had, Cleveland never ****ing had, and Miami never ****ing head.

Well luckily for you the Lakers are trying to build a super team and they have almost as much wonderful history as Real Madrid...minus the financial support from a murderous dictator directed specifically to them...

Nevermind that Golden State is writing a glorious history as we speak where they are elevating Basketball in a way which a football club hasn’t done since Pep’s Barça.

Reactions: BrickAHL

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Nuggets traded Wilson Chandler, a 2021 second round pick, and the option to swap 2022 second round picks to the Philadelphia 76ers for "minor cash considerations"

Basically, this move saves them about $50 million in salary and luxury tax.

Nuggets now have a 14 man roster, so they could still make another move. If they could move Faried too it'd be amazing.

This also means Malone will have no choice but to play Juancho. Malone is supposed to be a defensive coach and a good development coach; well, let's see it. Because the kid can shoot, the kid can cut to the rim.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Have the Nuggets ever seriously been a defense squad?

Outside of Dikembe, TR Dunn, Hanzlik and a few seasons of Camby/Iggy I don’t think many have been serious about defense in this city.

I’d love to see a coach bring in a bunch of goons and really put a stamp on the Denver Thuggets nickname.

member 116861

Have the Nuggets ever seriously been a defense squad?

Outside of Dikembe, TR Dunn, Hanzlik and a few seasons of Camby/Iggy I don’t think many have been serious about defense in this city.

I’d love to see a coach bring in a bunch of goons and really put a stamp on the Denver Thuggets nickname.

Do those even exist anymore? Softest sport in the world and I'm currently watching the World Cup.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
The Outlaws obliterated the Boston Cannons at the fireworks game at Mile High last night, 25-11. That's six wins in a row now, they're really firing on all cylinders. Three games left before the playoffs.

The Outlaws won it all in 2014 and 2016, so maybe they've got that SF Giants even-year mojo going.

Also, the Mammoth locked up Joey Cupido to a five year contract. Can't remember the last time the Mammoth gave out a five year deal. He deserves it, though. Possibly the best transition player in the league. Fast, explosive, hits hard, goes right to the net when he gets the ball.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Rockies are 7-1 since Arenado said he was frustrated the team wasn’t winning, should have said it earlier :sarcasm:

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Well luckily for you the Lakers are trying to build a super team and they have almost as much wonderful history as Real Madrid...minus the financial support from a murderous dictator directed specifically to them...

Nevermind that Golden State is writing a glorious history as we speak where they are elevating Basketball in a way which a football club hasn’t done since Pep’s Barça.

Somewhere on this site there's probably a Madrid fan fuming at the keyboard about how Franco never really had an impact on Real...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad