OT: Other Sports 76

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
It’s definitely very negative. The Bulls aren’t close to sniffing the juggernauts at the top of the East. So basically depends on your expectations. If you’re wanting to just make the playoffs vs actually trying to win a championship.

Making the playoffs is a must with this roster. Bulls can and probably will be able to compete (not necessarily win but be that difficult out in a playoffs) with said juggernauts.

That Tony Bradley is a vastly underrated signing. I remember him kicking Wendall Carter, Jr's butt during that stretch in which everybody that WCJ was defending was putting up career numbers.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Making the playoffs is a must with this roster. Bulls can and probably will be able to compete (not necessarily win but be that difficult out in a playoffs) with said juggernauts.

That Tony Bradley is a vastly underrated signing. I remember him kicking Wendall Carter, Jr's butt during that stretch in which everybody that WCJ was defending was putting up career numbers.

Wcj was absolutely brutal, also not a fan of white at all, well see what happens this season i guess.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
2022 MLB schedules are out.

E79nmz7WUAEQj2s

E79mZP-WYAYt7-M

Most would probably circle the early July Red Sox series as the one to highlight for a game at Wrigley, but truth be told I'd probably say that the mid-July Baltimore series looks more up my alley, even as a weekday series.

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Who would've thought after the season he had that Giolito would be the 4th best pitcher this season (and he would've been 5th if Kopech was in the rotation for Keuchel).

Reactions: ChiHawks10

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Sox offense is definitely good. Probably top 10 in the league if not higher. But for multiple reasons it’s not as good as it was in 2020.

When you factor in Abreu’s regression, and the fact that Eloy and Robert are coming off long term injuries(and Grandal also coming back from surgery)…I just don’t see how we’re going to hit/drive in runs in the post season facing the best pitching from the other contenders. The offense just isn’t enough, more specifically there isn’t enough top-end talent.

We don’t have an Altuve/Bregman/Correa kind of trio…or Devers/Martinez/Bogaertz, or Betts/Turner/Muncy…or Machado/Frazier/Tatis….not this season anyways. I think Eloy and Robert definitely will eventually become that caliber of player but aren’t there this season. Vaughn also has a high ceiling but is just a rookie. TA, Grandal, and Moncada are very solid but they aren’t elite. 2021 Abreu also falls into that category.

…Its going to be next to impossible to score runs against the guys we’re gonna see in the playoffs. Sox will need to pitch out of their minds to advance.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Sox offense is definitely good. Probably top 10 in the league if not higher. But for multiple reasons it’s not as good as it was in 2020.

When you factor in Abreu’s regression, and the fact that Eloy and Robert are coming off long term injuries(and Grandal also coming back from surgery)…I just don’t see how we’re going to hit/drive in runs in the post season facing the best pitching from the other contenders. The offense just isn’t enough, more specifically there isn’t enough top-end talent.

We don’t have an Altuve/Bregman/Correa kind of trio…or Devers/Martinez/Bogaertz, or Betts/Turner/Muncy…or Machado/Frazier/Tatis….not this season anyways. I think Eloy and Robert definitely will eventually become that caliber of player but aren’t there this season. Vaughn also has a high ceiling but is just a rookie. TA, Grandal, and Moncada are very solid but they aren’t elite. 2021 Abreu also falls into that category.

…Its going to be next to impossible to score runs against the guys we’re gonna see in the playoffs. Sox will need to pitch out of their minds to advance.
Nailed it. I could totally see them getting swept out of the playoffs scoring 5 runs or fewer during the 3 games.

I don't think it's fair to expect Robert and Jimenez to come off of serious injuries and carry the offense like they're going to have to to win anything. The Sox pitching is great but you can't win if you don't score.

Reactions: SimpleJack

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yoancada needs to have some sort of epiphany at the plate.
He was great from mid-April through the end of May but has been terrible since. At least he was still walking in June and now those have disappeared too.

All of the core players with significant playing time (Abreu, Anderson, Moncada, Vaughn) outside of Grandal have an OPS around .775 entering today which is slightly above average. Grandal is the only regular on the team with an OPS over .800

Everyone is having a "down year" offensively in one way or another. It's getting close to time to ask if they're having down years or just aren't that good anymore.

I can't think of one position player on the team that has met expectations this year offensively. Maybe Vaughn.

Lynn, Rodon, and Hendriks are carrying this team.

Last edited:

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
He was great from mid-April through the end of May but has been terrible since. At least he was still walking in June and now those have disappeared too.

All of the core players with significant playing time (Abreu, Anderson, Moncada, Vaughn) outside of Grandal have an OPS around .775 entering today which is slightly above average. Grandal is the only regular on the team with an OPS over .800

Everyone is having a "down year" offensively in one way or another. It's getting close to time to ask if they're having down years or just aren't that good anymore.

I can't think of one position player on the team that has met expectations this year offensively. Maybe Vaughn.

I think teams stopped being careful with yoan because they realized he was looking to walk and wasnt really punishing teams with his bat

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

Vaughn has been outstanding for a rookie. He’s exceeded my expectations.

But everyone else that was an opening day starter has been underwhelming/shown regression.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Vaughn has been outstanding for a rookie. He’s exceeded my expectations.

But everyone else that was an opening day starter has been underwhelming/shown regression.
Bingo. I'm not sure the Sox can compete offensively with the rest of the AL. There's a metric shit ton of pressure on the pitching staff. There has been all season, and they're starting to show cracks from carrying the load.

Some of the position players have to bounce back soon or in 2022 otherwise there will be no window.

Last edited:

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Bingo. I'm not sure the Sox can compete offensively with the rest of the AL. There's a metric shit ton of pressure on the pitching staff. There has been all season, and they're starting to show cracks from carrying the load.

Some of the position players have to bounce back soon or in 2022 otherwise there will be no window.

We definitely don’t have the same amount of top-end firepower as Houston, Boston, NYY, or Toronto.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
How dare you expect an "Elite" talent to produce

Moncada's falling #'s are no concern ,, No concern at all
I know Moncada was talking about having to work through injuries a few weeks ago. Well now that Hernandez is here, why not sit him for 2 or 3 weeks and see if it helps him? Because he's become next to useless. He feels like a guaranteed out every at bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad