Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sox left bases stranded

Could have broke this open there ,, Ugh

-- Didn't even realize we had double header today and that Sox lost first one --

-- What is Abreu status? --

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I hate to defend BWC, but didn't you declare Moncada a bust about a month ago?
No, I never did. I did say he was a minor disappointment because he's not Jose Ramirez.
Moncada was once the top prospect in baseball and those guys are supposed to be the best players in the game.

To put it in hockey terms, it would be like a 1st overall pick hockey player being a very good 2nd liner. Not a bust, but definitely a disappointment.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What exactly is there to be thrilled about with Moncada's performance?

He isn't hitting for power , he leads team in K's and continues for some odd reason to not let Tim Anderson catch pop ups without drama

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
What exactly is there to be thrilled about with Moncada's performance?

He isn't hitting for power , he leads team in K's and continues for some odd reason to not let Tim Anderson catch pop ups without drama
That ball the other day was going right to the third baseline, then the wind blew it over at the last second. It was both of their faults, and we as viewers don't know who called what, but as a baseline, that was Moncada's ball.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
No, I never did. I did say he was a minor disappointment because he's not Jose Ramirez.
Moncada was once the top prospect in baseball and those guys are supposed to be the best players in the game.

To put it in hockey terms, it would be like a 1st overall pick hockey player being a very good 2nd liner. Not a bust, but definitely a disappointment.

I'm completely convinced that covid stole some bat speed from Moncada that he may never get back. He had 113 mph+ max EV in 2018 and his top EV in 2019 was over 115 mph. He hasn't hit one over 110 mph since. You don't just lose that ability in your mid 20s.

We also don't know what this injury that Eloy had might do to his power.
Hahn bet big on Eloy, Moncada and Robert and he looks to have struck out on at least two of them.

I'm not one to dig up past quotes, cause hey I've been wrong plenty of times myself. I just found it odd that you of all people would call out BWC about Moncada.

So if you weren't calling Moncada a bust, then please clarify which 2 of the 3 of Robert, Eloy and Moncada that Hahn struck out on?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm not one to dig up past quotes, cause hey I've been wrong plenty of times myself. I just found it odd that you of all people would call out BWC about Moncada.

So if you weren't calling Moncada a bust, then please clarify which 2 of the 3 of Robert, Eloy and Moncada that Hahn struck out on?
At the beginning of the season I thought that Covid had altered the trajectory of Moncada's career. That's nobody's fault.

Even at his current level of production Moncada is not a $25M/yr player.

He's not as good as 2019 but not as bad as 2018 either offensively. He's still a GG level defender(except on popups)

madgoat33

May 16, 2010

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Something I noticed when looking at Yoan's career a few months ago is that fangraphs thinks he plays a good defensive 3rd base, but baseball-reference thinks hes average-slightly below average. Pretty strange how wide the gulf is in his career for defense on the two sites.
Moncada was a GG finalist last year, so that shows you which site is given more credence. IIRC he finished 2nd in the voting for AL 3B. Beating Chapman there is hard.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Yoan is on pace for like 100 rbi, what more do people want?
Building off of 2019 i think. Pretty sure a lot of people were hoping for a .900+ ops 3rd baseman. Hes good, but i saw 2019 and was hoping for arrenado or bryant, hard not to be a bit disappointed.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Building off of 2019 i think. Pretty sure a lot of people were hoping for a .900+ ops 3rd baseman. Hes good, but i saw 2019 and was hoping for arrenado or bryant, hard not to be a bit disappointed.
I think he's been hurt a lot by the deadened baseball.
I've been watching his baseball-savant box scores and he's been making a lot of outs on batted balls with an xBA of .600 or higher.

There was a Fangraphs article a week or two ago going into the deadened baseball effect and what it showed is that batted balls with a 100-104 mph EV and a 20 degree launch angle are going for significantly more outs and Moncada hits a lot of those.

It wouldn't surprise me at all in the alternate universe where we were playing with the 2019-20 baseballs if Moncada's offense looked a lot like 2019.

The Sox are dead last in the AL in HRs, and 28th in baseball after leading the AL, while being 3rd in Baseball in 2020.

The point is, Moncada falls into the category of disappointing, but nowhere near a bust.

He's going to be a 4-5.5 fWAR player for a long time. That's between above average and all star.

Last edited:

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Ta has missed time, eloy is out, lr is out and 2020 started later in the year when it was already warmer. They are one of the highest scoring teams in baseball, just imagine if/when the power starts.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
Well he's batting 313 with a 420 obp over the last 30 days if that makes you feel any better. Guess we'll see how it all turns out by September.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think he's been hurt a lot by the deadened baseball.
I've been watching his baseball-savant box scores and he's been making a lot of outs on batted balls with an xBA of .600 or higher.

There was a Fangraphs article a week or two ago going into the deadened baseball effect and what it showed is that batted balls with a 100-104 mph EV and a 20 degree launch angle are going for significantly more outs and Moncada hits a lot of those.

It wouldn't surprise me at all in the alternate universe where we were playing with the 2019-20 baseballs if Moncada's offense looked a lot like 2019.

The Sox are dead last in the AL in HRs, and 28th in baseball after leading the AL, while being 3rd in Baseball in 2020.

The point is, Moncada falls into the category of disappointing, but nowhere near a bust.

He's going to be a 4-5.5 fWAR player for a long time. That's between above average and all star.
I would disagree saying he is a disappointment. He's looking primed for a huge year IMO. Wait until the warm 85 degree July nights come.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Ta has missed time, eloy is out, lr is out and 2020 started later in the year when it was already warmer. They are one of the highest scoring teams in baseball, just imagine if/when the power starts.

Imagine a lineup 1-9 where TA keeps doing what he does, Robert gets healthy and does what he does, Moncada finds his 2019 form, Abreu gets healthy and does what he does, Eloy gets healthy and does what he does, Mercedes keeps doing what he’s doing, Grandal finds his 2019 form, Vaughn becomes a breakout young stud, and Madrigal solidifies himself as the best #9 hitter in the league.

One can dream...

Reactions: Cowch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad