Other results

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The jury in weightlifting is totally corrupt. 3 times they sabotaged a clean result for the German and made him do it again.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Artistic swimming is seriously creepy but mind-blowing at the same time.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Damn, a shit horse just cost Germany a medal, probably gold, in modern pentathlon. The horse didn't finish with the first rider and it's out there again. It' scandalous. Why am I suddenly thinking about salami?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm sure it's tough to lose a medal like that, but lacking bond is not an excuse to beat up the horse. Her behavior after the fact was so disgraceful that I'm quite happy she lost it all.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'm sure it's tough to lose a medal like that, but lacking bond is not an excuse to beat up the horse. Her behavior after the fact was so disgraceful that I'm quite happy she lost it all.
That was not really a beating, just a little slap to get it going. The rules need an overhaul, though. The horse was absolutely not in a condition to do the parcours and yet you are not allowed to change it.

Reactions: Kyndig

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
For sure, many pentathletes aren't very strong equestrian competitors yet they have to complete a relatively challenging show jumping track with a horse they're not accustomed to. This then leads to situations where no positive outcome is possible to start with.

But I would question whether modern pentathlon has a future at all as an Olympic sport despite the perpetually discussed changes, it allegedly being Pierre de Coubertin's brainchild and having powerful protectors at the IOC can't be the only reason for its continued existence.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
For sure, many pentathletes aren't very strong equestrian competitors yet they have to complete a relatively challenging show jumping track with a horse they're not accustomed to. This then leads to situations where no positive outcome is possible to start with.

But I would question whether modern pentathlon has a future at all as an Olympic sport despite the perpetually discussed changes, it allegedly being Pierre de Coubertin's brainchild and having powerful protectors at the IOC can't be the only reason for its continued existence.
I doubt that it gets cut anytime soon. Other sports have bigger problems, like weightlifting, which is riddled with doping, or boxing, where the entire federation is completely corrupt. It seems to me you can still tweak the rules of the pentathlon rather easily. They did it before when they combined shooting with running. The horse lottery can't be that central that it can't be adjusted. Perhaps just do the lottery a week before and give the athletes a chance to become familiar with the horse.
Fun fact: a lot of the problematic horses were cut from the men's competition today.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If I'd want to salvage it I'd just cut the equestrian event altogether and replace it with another sport, nowadays there's so much to choose from. Even golf. That would go against the militaristic tradition of the modern pentathlon but who wants to protect it anyway. Or they could give it a nice naval vibe and go sailing instead of torturing horses.

Instead of giving more time I've understood that in Paris the whole event is to last 90 minutes, consisting of 60 minutes of competition and three short breaks. This will be facilitated by a special modern pentathlon arena. The change is mostly because of the extremely poor viewership of the current format and indeed IOC's desperation to retain the event despite the fact.

uipmnewdeal.PNG

Reactions: BMann

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
If I'd want to salvage it I'd just cut the equestrian event altogether and replace it with another sport, nowadays there's so much to choose from. Even golf. That would go against the militaristic tradition of the modern pentathlon but who wants to protect it anyway. Or they could give it a nice naval vibe and go sailing instead of torturing horses.

Instead of giving more time I've understood that in Paris the whole event is to last 90 minutes, consisting of 60 minutes of competition and three short breaks. This will be facilitated by a special modern pentathlon arena. The change is mostly because of the extremely poor viewership of the current format and indeed IOC's desperation to retain the event despite the fact.

uipmnewdeal.PNG
Shame, that doesn't seem to address the problem at all.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
That was not really a beating, just a little slap to get it going. The rules need an overhaul, though. The horse was absolutely not in a condition to do the parcours and yet you are not allowed to change it.

Seriously it wouldn't have even qualified as a punch to a human let alone something weighing over 1,000 pounds. The media made it sound like Conan was knocking out horses.

Jockeys whip their horses to shit in a race *crickets*
German coach slaps a horse on the rump... "OMG! ANIMAL ABUSE!" :rolleyes:

Reactions: Namba 17 and Eisen

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Seriously it wouldn't have even qualified as a punch to a human let alone something weighing over 1,000 pounds. The media made it sound like Conan was knocking out horses.

Jockeys whip their horses to shit in a race *crickets*
German coach slaps a horse on the rump... "OMG! ANIMAL ABUSE!" :rolleyes:
You should have read the forum at Spiegel today. It was rabid. Hysterically whipping like a madman on a traumatised horse according to some. Deathwishes for Schleu. Calling her a frenzied sociopath etc.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
One reason for the weighing is that there are significantly more bronze medals awarded than gold or silver, so when counting totals without differentiating bronze would actually be the most valuable medal.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
One reason for the weighing is that there are significantly more bronze medals awarded than gold or silver, so when counting totals without differentiating bronze would actually be the most valuable medal.
Are there so many ties for bronze that this makes a big difference?

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I still can't believe that mangy nag cost her a gold.

They need to either drop this segment, allow competitors more time to get familiar with the horse or allow each federation to bring their own horses. Yes logistics are important and time consuming but the stochastic nature of what horse you may get plays a random wild card into everything. Not even the best horse person can sometimes do anything with an ill tempered, recalcitrant horse in the space of a few minutes.

One feels for Annika. After all four years of preparation, leading the event comfortably only for that to happen. What her coach said and did however is extremely poor. We have enough cases of ill treatment of horses as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad