Other Prominent Players on the Ice during Important (or Infamous) Moments in Hockey History.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Listening to the West Coast Express retrospective podcast on the early 2000's Canucks and the Bertuzzi-Morrison- Naslund line (really good listen, highly recommend) and it played the play-by-play of Steve Moore's hit on Markus Naslund.

Just prior to the hit, IIRC Jim Hughson mentions that Paul Kariya and Joe Sakic were on the ice with Moore.

I was watching that game, so presumably I knew that at one point. But it's such a specific moment in time that Kariya was even on the Avs, and he only played 51 games that year due to regulation. Just thought it was an interesting tidbit.

So any other moments where we completely forget about other prominent players on the ice?

I'm not looking for things like, "Larry Murphy was the other player on the 3-on-1 in the 87 Canada Cup" but more like deeper cuts that I may have forgotten or may not know.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
For the Yzerman goal, it's also notable that it was Gretzky fumbling the puck that led to the turnover to Yzerman.

Gretzky was on the ice for Bure's first NHL goal, as well. Though, he was on the ice for quite many goals against, so hardly a novelty.

But on the ice-level replay of Bure's first NHL goal you can clearly see Gretzky (I think somewhere in the neutral zone) in full Ovi-esque "controller disconnect" mode.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Gretzky was on the ice for Bure's first NHL goal, as well. Though, he was on the ice for quite many goals against, so hardly a novelty.

But on the ice-level replay of Bure's first NHL goal you can clearly see Gretzky (I think somewhere in the neutral zone) in full Ovi-esque "controller disconnect" mode.
I've never seen an ice level replay of that goal. Do you have a link?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Everyone knows this already but Ray Bourque of all people got walked by Mario Lemieux on his first NHL goal on his first shift.

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Dan Hamhuis averaged less than 5 minutes of TOI as a defenseman during the tournament, was on the ice for the last winning shift of Canada's 3-0 win against Sweden in 2014.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Listening to the West Coast Express retrospective podcast on the early 2000's Canucks and the Bertuzzi-Morrison- Naslund line (really good listen, highly recommend) and it played the play-by-play of Steve Moore's hit on Markus Naslund.

Just prior to the hit, IIRC Jim Hughson mentions that Paul Kariya and Joe Sakic were on the ice with Moore.

I was watching that game, so presumably I knew that at one point. But it's such a specific moment in time that Kariya was even on the Avs, and he only played 51 games that year due to regulation. Just thought it was an interesting tidbit.

So any other moments where we completely forget about other prominent players on the ice?

I'm not looking for things like, "Larry Murphy was the other player on the 3-on-1 in the 87 Canada Cup" but more like deeper cuts that I may have forgotten or may not know.

I seem to remember, wasn't it just due to injury that he missed some time that year?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
It is strange to look back on, but Roy's "Statue of Liberty" goal that he allowed in 2002 had basically everyone on the ice as a HHOFer and I don't know why either. Yzerman, Fedorov and Shanahan were the Wings forwards. Lidstrom was on defense. On the Avs you had Sakic and Forsberg on the ice together. I know there were times they doubled up on Sakic and Forsberg at times but I can't recall if they were regularly playing them together in the 2002 playoffs. Yzerman and Shanahan for sure I can see, but I am surprised Fedorov was there. Again, I can't remember if they made that a line for those playoffs, or that series. Also there were no power plays or penalty kills at the time of the goal so it was a regular shift with 40 seconds left in the period. Maybe that's the reason why.

Serge Savard was on the ice for the Henderson goal, made the first nice little pass for the Sittler goal in the 1976 Canada Cup game, also made the first pass for the 1979 goal in overtime of Game 7 vs. Boston. Three legendary goals, all three times Savard is the guy who is steady on the back end and in the latter two goals he starts the play.

Who was the last player back for Mario's Canada Cup winning goal? Paul Coffey. Everyone remembers Gretzky, Mario, Hawerchuk and Murphy, but it was Coffey who stayed back. Coffey also was on the ice for the overtime winner in Game 2. Bourque had led the rush and dished the puck off to Gretzky in the zone. Somewhere along the way he must have got off because for that goal it was Gretzky, Mario, Propp, Murphy and then Coffey was back out of the zone more or less because there was a Russian player sort of cheating out of the zone. Hey, in a big game I will admit I never felt nervous seeing Coffey play defense and he did here.

Speaking of Gretzky, he was on the bench coaching the Coyotes when Ovechkin's famous behind the back goal in his rookie season was scored. It was emphasized that this was gone in front of the Great One.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Pete Peeters was connected to three of the most famous goals of the 80s:

1) He was the goalie Bob Nystrom scored on in OT of Game 6 of the 1980 Final to win the Islanders their first Cup.

2) He was Canada's goalie at the other end of the ice when Mike Bossy scored in OT against the Soviets in the 1984 Canada Cup semi-final.

3) In 1981 when Wayne Gretzky broke Maurice Richard 50-in-50 record by scoring his 50th in an empty net in his 39th game, Peeters was the goalie who had pulled for an extra attacker, creating the empty net chance.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Completely lost in the various stories of the March 26th 1997 game between the Wings and Avs was that it was Mike Knuble's first NHL game and Mike Vernon's 300th win. And Valeri Kamensky had a had trick. Slightly more prominent, but still oft overlooked was also that the big bloody scrum was initiated by Peter Forsberg and Igor Larionov of all people going at it.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Bobby Orr, you may have heard of him, in Game 2 of the 1971 series vs. the Habs had 4 points in a 5-1 2nd period lead for the Bruins. He then proceeded to be on the ice for all 6 unanswered goals for the Habs in a 7-5 historical comeback at Boston Garden. The Habs would win the series in 7. I know you have to be good if we are talking about a bad game you had where you got 4 points but he had a couple of bad giveaways and one of them was to Henri Richard who skated past Orr like he wasn't even there (to be fair Orr was caught flat footed). So yeah, Orr of all people had a terrible 3rd period as 5 of those goals were scored then, on the ice for the final 6.

Maybe a bit of a passing of the torch type of thing, but if you didn't realize that the old former Oilers guard was on the back nine you need only to look at the players on the ice in the final moments of the World Cup in 1996. Tying goal against it was Messier. Go ahead goal against (Amonte) it was Gretzky and Coffey. Last ditch effort with the goalie pulled and the near perfect set up to Gretzky you had all of Gretzky, Messier and Coffey on the ice for it and the empty netter that followed a few seconds later.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Bobby Orr's flying goal was scored on Glenn Hall
That's interesting because, while I knew that Hall played for the Blues in that period, I somehow never connected that famous goal with Hall being the goalie.

By the way, it looks like Hall appeared in only 18 games that season, and then the playoffs games were split among, him, Plante, and Wakely. What was the story there? Why'd he get so few RS games and then so many in the playoffs?
Jon Casey was the victim of . . . Steve Yzermans double OT clapper.
For the Yzerman goal, it's also notable that...
Man, that Yzerman goal gets a lot of talk that never seems to go away, does it? Is it really that special when a .799 club needs overtime in game 7 to beat a .488 club? After that goal, the Wings' disappointing play was confirmed as Colorado knocked them out.
Everyone knows this already but Ray Bourque of all people got walked by Mario Lemieux on his first NHL goal on his first shift.
Bourque actually makes a pretty 'safe' play there, but big Mario knocks the puck right out of the air and gets a clean break. Bruins still won the game, mind you. Bourque scored the game winning goal late in the third, had two points, +1.

Lemieux's goal scoring is funny in his rookie season. After that first game / first shot goal, he didn't score a goal again until game nine vs. hapless New Jersey. Lemieux had 11 goals in his first 32 games... and then 32 goals in his final 41 games.
What's bizarre about the video of that goal isn't Gretzky so much as Jari Kurri. What happened there? You can see Kurri turning towards the boards and the blue line, skating to leave the zone before the puck is even on its way out. (Gretzky at least is vaguely moving towards the defensive net.) It would appear that the forwards all thought the puck was leaving the zone, but the L.A. defenseman (can't see who it is) flubbed the clearing attempt.
I seem to remember, wasn't it just due to injury that he missed some time that year?
Sprained his wrist and missed 10 games, then came back and hurt the wrist again.
Pete Peeters was connected to three of the most famous goals of the 80s...

3) In 1981 when Wayne Gretzky broke Maurice Richard 50-in-50 record....
Richard and Mike Bossy.
Bobby Orr, you may have heard of him, in Game 2 of the 1971 series vs. the Habs had 4 points in a 5-1 2nd period lead for the Bruins. He then proceeded to be on the ice for all 6 unanswered goals for the Habs in a 7-5 historical comeback at Boston Garden. The Habs would win the series in 7. I know you have to be good if we are talking about a bad game you had where you got 4 points but he had a couple of bad giveaways and one of them was to Henri Richard who skated past Orr like he wasn't even there (to be fair Orr was caught flat footed). So yeah, Orr of all people had a terrible 3rd period as 5 of those goals were scored then, on the ice for the final 6.
I'm sure that about 80% of the "Orr-couldn't-play-defence" crowd's opinion is based on the YouTube clip of that one game.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
What's bizarre about the video of that goal isn't Gretzky so much as Jari Kurri. What happened there? You can see Kurri turning towards the boards and the blue line, skating to leave the zone before the puck is even on its way out. (Gretzky at least is vaguely moving towards the defensive net.) It would appear that the forwards all thought the puck was leaving the zone, but the L.A. defenseman (can't see who it is) flubbed the clearing attempt.

Kurri and Gretzky had some weird habits going on at times in LA in the early 90s, curling around back and forth in the neutral zone, hence all the wild box scores. Kings vs Flames from the 93 playoffs is a classic: 6-3, 4-9, 2-5, 3-1, 9-4, 9-6

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Interesting. Was this a line change in transition? How did Moore end up with Sakic and Kariya?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
That's interesting because, while I knew that Hall played for the Blues in that period, I somehow never connected that famous goal with Hall being the goalie.

By the way, it looks like Hall appeared in only 18 games that season, and then the playoffs games were split among, him, Plante, and Wakely. What was the story there? Why'd he get so few RS games and then so many in the playoffs?

Just looking things up shows that Hall did not play until around Christmas time - December 21st was his first game. After that he pretty much alternates with the other two. As for the playoffs they alternated all three as well then, Hall just happened to get the most minutes. So I think that's the reason. Because while he wasn't hitting 70 games a year anymore he was still good for 40+ around that time. So it was an injury I think. He had just been a 1st team all-star in 1969. Of course he was getting older too, Hall only played until 1971 and that was it.

Man, that Yzerman goal gets a lot of talk that never seems to go away, does it? Is it really that special when a .799 club needs overtime in game 7 to beat a .488 club? After that goal, the Wings' disappointing play was confirmed as Colorado knocked them out.

I think part of it is that people still like that 1996 Wings team based on the record they had. It is like how people still talk about the 2007 New England Patriots' perfect season up until the Super Bowl. Or how we always talk about the 1993 Pens. Or 1971 Bruins. I don't really know the comparison to this goal in hockey because you'd have to think of a famous goal scored where the team still ended up losing in the playoffs somewhere along the way afterwards. And the main thing here is that it is a goal where Gretzky bobbles it (I don't blame him on it, he was just reacting to the puck hitting his stick unexpectedly) and where you have that camera angle behind the net where you see the puck coming right at you. I think that is what makes it famous.

I'm sure that about 80% of the "Orr-couldn't-play-defence" crowd's opinion is based on the YouTube clip of that one game.

Exactly. And it is a bad game for a reason. At least a bad game defensively. It isn't his norm.

Heck, we should all have it so bad where a 4 point game is considered a bad game!

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Interesting. Was this a line change in transition? How did Moore end up with Sakic and Kariya?
That's what I would gather. Moore was never seen as much more than a plug and play bottom sixer, so I can't imagine (or recall) them being regular line mates. But I can't say that with any assurance.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I just watched the infamous Brett Hull toe in the crease goal from game 6 of the 1999 Finals and what leapt out to me was whatever the hell Brian Holzinger was trying to do on that play.

Hull got alone in front but lost control of the puck, Holzinger comes in on him and just whiffs. He misses the loose puck and fails to impede Hull in any way, then takes a tumble. In fairness it was 2 in the morning after 5 3/4 periods of intensely competitive hockey, but that was one he should've either cleared or at least got enough of the body to knock Hull off the puck (which in turn probably blocks Modano from reaching the follow-up and allows McKee to clear the puck or buys Hasek time to recover).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad