Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
A little late in responding to this garbage but my goodness Lakers are becoming the biggest joke of the NBA. Can't believe they gave this stiff this much money. No words. :facepalm:
People who complain about this clearly haven't followed free agency or understand how much the NBA has been escalating. With the new TV contract the CAP is going to continue to sky rocket the next few years. Gotta quit looking at contracts like the last decade(s). Take any contract and subtract 5+ million and that is what it realistically compares to.

Just stop and think about this for a second. M. Conley is the highest paid player in the league now and will be making 30 million 5 yrs for $150 million total. Also ATL went and gave D. Howard $23 million per. Check out the landscape it is insane and scary.

Was the contract good? No, not really, but far from terrible and as Delicate Genius said it adds championship pedigree and someone to help mentor the young guys.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
People who complain about this clearly haven't followed free agency or understand how much the NBA has been escalating. With the new TV contract the CAP is going to continue to sky rocket the next few years. Gotta quit looking at contracts like the last decade(s). Take any contract and subtract 5+ million and that is what it realistically compares to.

Just stop and think about this for a second. M. Conley is the highest paid player in the league now and will be making 30 million 5 yrs for $150 million total. Also ATL went and gave D. Howard $23 million per. Check out the landscape it is insane and scary.

Was the contract good? No, not really, but far from terrible and as Delicate Genius said it adds championship pedigree and someone to help mentor the young guys.

Agreed. These are bridge guys, like DL said back in the day when signing vets. The future of the Lakers is the youth, not the guys they just signed. These vets are going to help the young guys along. And I know a lot of you remember how when the Kings were bad, they were spurned repeatedly big name UFAs. You gotta overpay guys who are even half-decent to join a 17 win team. You look for guys who have already won at a high level and are looking for a bigger role (and money) than what they currently have. And it's not like these are NHL 8 year deals, either. 4 years isn't that big of a deal. Especially with the NBA cap increasing by ridiculous numbers over the next few years.

Dawdler

Run to the Hills!!
Aug 2, 2005
Anyone still wanna defend Jansen? Dude is just not lights out. He can't be trusted. Simple as that.

giphy.gif

Dodgers needed a key save from him, after a solid outing by McCarthy and with a patchwork rotation and tired bullpen he needed to come through and he failed miserably.

Dawdler

Run to the Hills!!
Aug 2, 2005
and the Dodgers need to burn the bullpen and Bud Norris and lose, thanks Kenley jerkwad

Dawdler

Run to the Hills!!
Aug 2, 2005
And to think, we had Chapman in our hands! That trade that the idiots in the FO backed out of hurts more and more.

I'm not going to dwell on Chapman, he was facing some serious allegations that the Dodgers didn't want any part of at the time, I'm sure if the Dodgers want him next year they will make it happen, heck they drop enough dough, they can get him this year

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I'm not going to dwell on Chapman, he was facing some serious allegations that the Dodgers didn't want any part of at the time, I'm sure if the Dodgers want him next year they will make it happen, heck they drop enough dough, they can get him this year

The Dodgers didn't have the balls. The Yankees did. As it turned out, the Yankees didn't have to deal with anything other than the slap on the wrist (suspension).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Potentially fun sports weekend November 19-20:

11/19:
1pm: Devils@Kings
7:30pm: Bulls@Clippers
tbd: USC@UCLA

11/20:
1pm: Dolphins@Rams
5pm: Kings@Ducks
6:30pm: Bulls@Lakers

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I've done the Kings/Clippers doubleheader a few times. Definitely makes the trek from San Diego a little more worthwhile. USC/UCLA would probably be a bit superfluous for me since I don't really have ties to either school. Catching a Rams game might be fun, but I'd probably opt for the Kings/Ducks on the way back down to SD.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
After all these years observing both the AL East and the NL West, I have this weird feeling the 2016 World Series will be AL East VS NL West.

Yes, with the AL East, emerging on top. Right now, they have a three-horse race, while the NL West is just LA and SF.

Last edited:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Gotta admit...Was weird watching the Rams play in the Coliseum.

The Coliseum was a dump when the Rams last played there, and (surprise!) it's still a dump. (at least I can still park on someone's lawn just like the good 'ol days)

They threw me a curveball during the broadcast though: They said the Rams would be playing 3 years at the coliseum - I thought they initially announced that they could finish the new Inglewood stadium in 2 seasons... damn! they just threw another year at us like it's no big deal. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->