OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Meh, I don't really care. He was the first true Dodger ace since the short peak of Orel Hershiser. He may not have brought us a WS yet but he is a first ballot HOFer. Let him stay in Dodger blue. 22 will never be worn by someone else again in Dodger blue.

WTF? You're bagging on Orel?! I'll take one Orel Hershiser over 6 Clayton Kershaws every day of the week and twice on Sunday!!

You HAVE to win a WS game - do you go with Hershiser or Kershaw?! That's a no-brainer.

and "short peak" for Orel? come on!

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
WTF? You're bagging on Orel?! I'll take one Orel Hershiser over 6 Clayton Kershaws every day of the week and twice on Sunday!!

You HAVE to win a WS game - do you go with Hershiser or Kershaw?! That's a no-brainer.

and "short peak" for Orel? come on!

Huh? Bagging on him? How? And Orel did have a short peak. There's a reason why he's not in the HOF. He wasn't ace material anymore after 1989. But that's because he was already 30 when he won the CY in 1988.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Huh? Bagging on him? How? And Orel did have a short peak. There's a reason why he's not in the HOF. He wasn't ace material anymore after 1989. But that's because he was already 30 when he won the CY in 1988.

Orel's one WS win is worth miles more than what Kershaw has ever done! Couldn't care less about the HOF - show me the money! (WS win that is)

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
LSU is the first team to hold Alabama to no points on Alabama's opening drive this season.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
...Kershaw has won a WS game, and pitched quite well in it.

Eh, I think he was referring to game 5 where hershiser won the world series.

Kershaw has started 4 world series games and only won one of them with an era well north of 5. I'm a big fan of Kershaw, bit his reputation for sucking in the playoffs is warrented.

For 30 million a year I would have definitely gone a different direction.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The players of the 1972 Miami Dolphins team are celebrating and giving each other congratulatory phone calls today.

Rams comeback falls short and with it there are is no longer an undefeated team in the NFL this season.

Reactions: King Trouty

Winger23

May 3, 2007
So you'd take 1 Kirk Gibson over 6 Barry Bonds?

Not a good example as both Gibson and bonds have produced in the playoffs.

I'm not agreeing with the one game comment, but body of work hershisers playoff performances are definitely better than Kershaws. Regular season I take kershaws career any day of the week, but hes also been a major disappointment when the game really counts.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California

I'm not agreeing with the one game comment, but body of work hershisers playoff performances are definitely better than Kershaws. Regular season I take kershaws career any day of the week, but hes also been a major disappointment when the game really counts.

Actually Bonds was notoriously bad in the playoffs until 2002 at age 38.

Reactions: 21Dog

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

Kershaw has won great games in the playoffs though. Bonds never won a world series.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Kershaw has won great games in the playoffs though. Bonds never won a world series.

Hes had more poor than good though. Hes goes from one of the best ever in the regular season to a below average in the playoffs. Yes bonds never won a world series, but hes performed well more than not.

Kinda hard to compare a position player to a starter though. Personally I'd take bonds over kershaw based on post season alone. Both were outstanding in the regular season (not even going into the steroid shit though).

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Actually Bonds was notoriously bad in the playoffs until 2002 at age 38.

And hershiser had terrible playoff numbers in the 90s. I'm just saying kershaw has not had a good post season ever. Hes had games where he looked like a stud, but more often than not he puts up a stinker.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Hes had more poor than good though. Hes goes from one of the best ever in the regular season to a below average in the playoffs. Yes bonds never won a world series, but hes performed well more than not.

Kinda hard to compare a position player to a starter though. Personally I'd take bonds over kershaw based on post season alone. Both were outstanding in the regular season (not even going into the steroid **** though).
When a manager leaves a starter in for too long which was what they always did to Kershaw, they're not going to look as good. He hasn't been as good lately yeah but in his prime he was mismanaged in those starts.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
When a manager leaves a starter in for too long which was what they always did to Kershaw, they're not going to look as good. He hasn't been as good lately yeah but in his prime he was mismanaged in those starts.

I respectfully disagree. In his prime the very few times he pitched into the 7th inning he was performing well. He was yanked in the 5th or 6th inning in most of his starts.

Odd thought though hes came in relief twice and was lights out. It will never happen but moving him to the bullpen for the playoffs may be the right thing to do going forward if he does lose his stuff the 2nd time through the lineup.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I respectfully disagree. In his prime the very few times he pitched into the 7th inning he was performing well. He was yanked in the 5th or 6th inning in most of his starts.

Odd thought though hes came in relief twice and was lights out. It will never happen but moving him to the bullpen for the playoffs may be the right thing to do going forward if he does lose his stuff the 2nd time through the lineup.
The Dodgers don't have the pitching for that.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
He's come out of the bullpen three times actually, clinching the 2016 NLDS and the 2018 NLCS, as well as pitching 4 scoreless innings in Game 7 of the World Series.

The narrative that he's been more bad than good in the postseason is wrong. Kershaw has also been in a disadvantage when he gets into trouble because when the bullpen comes in, they usually allow many of his inherited runners to score.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
It's too bad that Buehler is already 24. We all know that pitchers can only throw 98 MPH for so long. It doesn't help that we lost a year of his service due to a TJ surgery. Let's hope he's not a taller version of Lincecum. He was a college pitcher so we didn't get to have him early like we did Kershaw at 20.

Reactions: King Trouty

Winger23

May 3, 2007
He's come out of the bullpen three times actually, clinching the 2016 NLDS and the 2018 NLCS, as well as pitching 4 scoreless innings in Game 7 of the World Series.

The narrative that he's been more bad than good in the postseason is wrong. Kershaw has also been in a disadvantage when he gets into trouble because when the bullpen comes in, they usually allow many of his inherited runners to score.

Thank you for the correction on bullpen appearances.

Are you really saying the bullpen is to blame for him causing his post season struggles? It's a fact, not narrative that he has more bad games pitched than good ones. Blaming the bullpen for runners he allowed on in the first place is reaching.

Go look up advanced stats on him and you see every single category is worse in the playoffs than the regular season. Even he admits he has to prove everyone wrong cause hes not pitched well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->