Other Hockey talk (NCAA, ECHL, AHL, KHL, etc.)

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
As some of you may know, I moved a few months ago to a small town right on the Ontario/Quebec border.

We had a hockey team here called the Cornwall Nationals. Ive been meaning to check out a game as the arena is down the street from me but earlier this week the team folded, declaring bankruptcy and forfeiting their remaining games.

That led me to start looking into the league and it’s probably the strangest hockey league I’ve ever seen. They played in the federal hockey league, a semi-pro league currently consisting of only five teams. The league has only existed a few short years and teams are constantly coming and going. There is only one Canadian team located on the complete opposite side of Ontario. The other teams are in New York, Illinois, Michigan and Winston-Salem which I thought was cool.

I kept digging through rosters and found that 2008 Dallas stars second round pick Tyler Beskorowany played a bit for Cornwall this year. As I went further and further back I eventually wound up on the roster of the very first league champions, the Akwesasne Warriors. Akwesasne is a reservation on an island just off the shores of Cornwall which is part in Canada and part in the USA.

On their roster was former Hurricanes draft pick Carter Trevisani who played here after returning from several seasons in italy. Stranger still, former nhl’er Pierre Dagenais played two seasons for them before retiring.

Anyway, sorry for the novel but i found this so weird and totally just wasted an hour looking through all the league records.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Has anyone else been paying attention to the Olympic Hockey? I'm not going to lie, I've been missing the NHL being there from the first game I watched even though I stated back in the summer that I was fine with the decision to not have them play because of how it interrupts the season.

Just not the same watching lower tier talent. I guess for me it's like watching Jimmer Fredette (one pick ahead of Klay Thompson) and Jonny Flynn (one pick ahead of Curry) who both flamed out in the NBA and find themselves overseas, playing for Team USA Basketball instead of Carmelo, Durant, Westbrook, etc.

Edit: I also typed this before the women's USA-Canada match for Gold, which I stupidly thought was the men. Point still stands though

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As some of you may know, I moved a few months ago to a small town right on the Ontario/Quebec border.

We had a hockey team here called the Cornwall Nationals. Ive been meaning to check out a game as the arena is down the street from me but earlier this week the team folded, declaring bankruptcy and forfeiting their remaining games.

That led me to start looking into the league and it’s probably the strangest hockey league I’ve ever seen. They played in the federal hockey league, a semi-pro league currently consisting of only five teams. The league has only existed a few short years and teams are constantly coming and going. There is only one Canadian team located on the complete opposite side of Ontario. The other teams are in New York, Illinois, Michigan and Winston-Salem which I thought was cool.

I kept digging through rosters and found that 2008 Dallas stars second round pick Tyler Beskorowany played a bit for Cornwall this year. As I went further and further back I eventually wound up on the roster of the very first league champions, the Akwesasne Warriors. Akwesasne is a reservation on an island just off the shores of Cornwall which is part in Canada and part in the USA.

On their roster was former Hurricanes draft pick Carter Trevisani who played here after returning from several seasons in italy. Stranger still, former nhl’er Pierre Dagenais played two seasons for them before retiring.

Anyway, sorry for the novel but i found this so weird and totally just wasted an hour looking through all the league records.

Didn't realize it was THAT Cornwall. Yeah this league has been the funniest type of shit show. Steve MacIntyre has been playing for Winston-Salem. Yes... that Steve MacIntyre.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Saw a little bit of Ohio State vs Michigan via stream.

I would love it if one or more of UNC/State/Duke/Wake could get off the ground and into the NCAAs with Hockey sometime in the next 10-15 years. The Backyard Brawl thing they do with UNC and State is a hit.
If ASU and UAH can do it we should be able to. I wonder if it would make it more likely to happen if two schools decided to go into it at the same time- I imagine the potential audience for unc playing hockey against Duke is higher than that of unc playing hockey against, I don't know, North Dakota

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad