OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I don't know why, but I'm pretty happy for the crazy ass dildo throwing, cocaine snorting, table smashing maniac Bills fans.

Sucks that Lamar didn't get a chance to answer.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I am definitely on the Bills bandwagon

I’ll have a hard time deciding between Bills-Packers if it gets to that point. I’m super happy for Josh Allen and all that he’s done but I love how Aaron Rodgers have given a big F You to the Packers front office by playing out of his mind after they drafted a young QB in the 1st round. Good for him.

Reactions: sethro109

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I am definitely on the Bills bandwagon

I’ll have a hard time deciding between Bills-Packers if it gets to that point. I’m super happy for Josh Allen and all that he’s done but I love how Aaron Rodgers have given a big F You to the Packers front office by playing out of his mind after they drafted a young QB in the 1st round. Good for him.
I'm going for the Bills or Browns both have been miserable for years and it's nice to see them get a chance.

As for the Ravens, I don't know what they are going to do. Lamar Jackson is not going to win them a championship. He just can't make enough plays with his arm. Crazy good athlete but in the playoffs you need to consistently make plays with your arm to win. You can win the occasional game like they did against Tennessee, but you aren't going to win 3-4 in a row against good teams without consistent passing attack. For reference Lamar had less passing yards than Drew Lock this year and Lamar played two extra games. Can't expect to win playoff games when you are near the bottom in passing. Not in this pass happy era of football.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm going for the Bills or Browns both have been miserable for years and it's nice to see them get a chance.

As for the Ravens, I don't know what they are going to do. Lamar Jackson is not going to win them a championship. He just can't make enough plays with his arm. Crazy good athlete but in the playoffs you need to consistently make plays with your arm to win. You can win the occasional game like they did against Tennessee, but you aren't going to win 3-4 in a row against good teams without consistent passing attack. For reference Lamar had less passing yards than Drew Lock this year and Lamar played two extra games. Can't expect to win playoff games when you are near the bottom in passing. Not in this pass happy era of football.
Yeah that was always my worry with him coming out of the draft. He was always going to be one of the best athletes in the entire league, but the dude can't throw to save his life. Or at least at a level needed to be a good QB.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Kind of feel like Lamar is going to have that Michael Vick career. Vick would make the playoffs those first few years and then yeah - the legs don’t get the job done for a QB in playoff time. And as the years went on Vick became less and less effective as the athletic ability went south.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Kind of feel like Lamar is going to have that Michael Vick career. Vick would make the playoffs those first few years and then yeah - the legs don’t get the job done for a QB in playoff time. And as the years went on Vick became less and less effective as the athletic ability went south.
I will say the one thing that's different between the two is Vick had a cannon for an arm. He wasn't great at reading defenses or that accurate but he could at least bomb it. Lamar doesn't really ever get much on the ball.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Lamar is a better NFL QB than Vick ever was.

Vick was more electrifying, but Lamar is better.

Vick’s career will always be a bit of a ‘what if’ with how he went to prison in his prime.

Lamar is a much more dedicated player and is getting the most out of his talents. Vick sadly, didn’t get serious until his 30’s.

From a talent and excitement perspective I’ve never watched an athlete quite like Mike Vick.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Big time. Jackson's two seasons as a starter - as a 22 and 23 year old, no less - have already seen him throw more TD's in both seasons than Vick ever did in any single season.

He's also only thrown 6 and 9 INT's, respectively, through those two seasons. As a starter, Vick's lowest INT throwing season was 6 but he only played 12 games. He was always in the 12-14 INT range while being nowhere near Lamar's TD range. Then there's the fact that Lamar is just a straight up better runner than Vick ever was, and Vick was amazing at it.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Nobody broke out of the pocket and away from the defence like Vick.

Lamar has more rushing yards, but the Ravens make his designed runs a focal point of their offence. Vick did a lot of damage from pure scrambles. His elusiveness in the pocket was wild.

Lamar is flat out better than Vick was, but Vick’s talent level is pretty much unmatched. His lack of dedication to his craft in comparison to Lamar hurt him significantly of course, but I’d also say that he came into the league just a little bit too early. Coaches only really started becoming more creative in how they use the athleticism of QB’s in recent years.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Big time. Jackson's two seasons as a starter - as a 22 and 23 year old, no less - have already seen him throw more TD's in both seasons than Vick ever did in any single season.

He's also only thrown 6 and 9 INT's, respectively, through those two seasons. As a starter, Vick's lowest INT throwing season was 6 but he only played 12 games. He was always in the 12-14 INT range while being nowhere near Lamar's TD range. Then there's the fact that Lamar is just a straight up better runner than Vick ever was, and Vick was amazing at it.
Its easy to not throw INTs when you are only asked to throw it maybe 25 times, and 22+ are easy short reads. They don't ask much of him in the passing game, you can get away with it in the regular season, but you'll exposed in the playoffs where you have to match good teams every week. Don't believe me game logs this year show over 30 attempts twice, under 20 three times, the other 10 were between 20-30 attempts. 7 games where his yards per completion was under 7 yards per throw. In this day and age that screams, we don't trust or qb to make throws. You're entering into Drew Lock territory when you have multiple games under 7 yards per competition. And that's not good company.

Look at his career stats in the playoffs, 1-3 W-L, 56% completions, 3TDs, 5 INTs, 225 yards per game (it would be under 200 per game but it gets inflated by garbage time passes last year while they were getting killed by Tennessee), 68.3 rating, and 19 sacks taken in 4 games. Not very good.

Lamar is an elite athlete and an average QB. He'll win you regular season games, if you play good defense and control clock, but it will be a struggle in the playoffs when you face good teams every week.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There is also an era issue with Vick. If Vick was coming up today, the offenses in the NFL would fit his skill set much better than the offenses of the 2000s. No question though that Lamar Jackson has been better than Vick, and will likely have a much better career.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Mmmm maybe. Vick was in an era where running QB's weren't a thing at all, I think he'd be a similar level player if he was in his prime now. Jackson has definitely been the more productive player, but his team and the league is far more conducive to mobile QB's.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I never remember seeing Vick line up in a pistol formation or any type of RPO. Coaches have definitely started to crack the mysteries of how to utilize a running QB in the NFL.

Vick’s arm did set him apart though I think talent wise. Maybe the video is still out there on YouTube but I think the guy could throw 70 yards. It was just ridiculous.

all that being said if I had to go after the most athletic qb of all time (that was equally good at throwing/running the ball) I would have to go Randall Cunningham or Steve Young. I never saw Fran Tarkenton play though - I heard he was great as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I never remember seeing Vick line up in a pistol formation or any type of RPO. Coaches have definitely started to crack the mysteries of how to utilize a running QB in the NFL.

Vick’s arm did set him apart though I think talent wise. Maybe the video is still out there on YouTube but I think the guy could throw 70 yards. It was just ridiculous.

all that being said if I had to go after the most athletic qb of all time (that was equally good at throwing/running the ball) I would have to go Randall Cunningham or Steve Young. I never saw Fran Tarkenton play though - I heard he was great as well.

Prior to his ACL injury, he was an absolute beast of an athlete. He'd be a top 5 QB in today's systems. Way, way ahead of his time.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I'm fairly certain the Philadelphia Eagles incorporated this a bit once Vick took over for McNabb, though not nearly to the extent we see it today.

Shocker, it was Andy Reid coaching the guy.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm fairly certain the Philadelphia Eagles incorporated this a bit once Vick took over for McNabb, though not nearly to the extent we see it today.

Shocker, it was Andy Reid coaching the guy.
Even then he wasn't quite the same runner as when he was in Atlanta, so his talents were never really fully utilized.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Supposedly Paton is fairly highly regarded? I don’t know much about him, though. Did I read we are in the mix for Trubisky, of all people?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Supposedly Paton is fairly highly regarded? I don’t know much about him, though. Did I read we are in the mix for Trubisky, of all people?
If his plan of action is to target Trubisky he should be fired before even being given the opportunity.

Lol Trubisky. What a dog **** quarterback.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
it's gotta be excruciating for Bears fans to remember that they traded up for Mitch and passed on both Watson and Mahomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->