OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yes, teams picking 1-5 don't need QBs (TB is likely going to stick with Winston, from everything I've read). Giants/Jacksonville, picking 6-7, need a QB. Then the Broncos at 10. After that, the only team in the top 20 picks needing a QB, is Washington at 15. Perhaps Miami at 13. That's really not too many teams needing QBs.

BTW, I've seen reports that Denver is picking 9th and other reports saying 10th. Anyone know the deal?

broncos pick 10th.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Wouldn't the new rules in the NFL (seriously, they throw a flag if you look sternly at a QB) help all QBs? Is that just the hope?

I always though and again, i haven't watched much but it seems every team is trying to pass the football so much. Maybe developing a Madden era smash-mouth football running game would work for a team with a great full-back/running back options. Poor QBs seem to be better at screens so when teams are counting on you to run, there is usually a pass available be it to a tightend or a split out. But if you run the game and consistently make 4+ yards a carry, it will take you upfield and kill a lot of clock. It's not good from coming behind with 2 minutes left but if you get in front of the game with a solid D system....Why could something like the 85 Bears work again? There mantra was if you can't score, we can't lose. They had Walter Payton in the backfield...and that was enough to make Jim McMahon a super-bowl champ.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Lack of QBs in the National Football League has been an issue for at least a generation, if not longer.

Honestly the lack of talent is ridiculous. I can still remember as a kid a lot of the teams in the league had at least a capable field general. If not an iconic guy (Elway, Montana, Marino) they had someone very good (Moon, Kelly, Cunningham), good (Kosar) or someone at least passable (Everett, Harbaugh, Schroeder, Testaverde, Hebert). But in the Manning/Brady era? Holy ****, so many busts. Couch, Harrington, Russell, Leinart, LEAF, Sanchize the Butt-fumbler, and so on. I can't believe there aren't at least Orton-level game-managers out there who can at least give a marginally talented team win on a given Sunday. I think the NFL needs to shift its focus away from high draft picks and look at some of the undrafteds and really see about getting a developmental system into play. I don't think a minor league or World League is necessarily a viable option given how brief a professional football player's career on average is, but I dunno...the current system ain't working.

lot of teams still have at least capable field general. previous decade wasn't as good but right now QB talent is probably better than ever. OLs suck especially in relation to pass rushers.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Is there a really good coordinator out there that's ready for a HC job outside Dave Toub, Vic Fangio, and Pete Carmichael? Can't really think of others, maybe Bieniemy if you want to get someone from Reid's coaching tree and hope he's as good as Pederson and Nagy.

I think Matt Campbell would be great as a NFL HC, as with Lincoln Riley, Jeff Brohm, etc.

Or

gettyimages-103437297.jpg

:naughty:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
sometimes franchise players are great in the front office....at least in a role where they do not have that much control. Don't get me wrong, my favoriate all time QB is Marino, but there is a reason I've never wished him to take a lasting role with the Dolphins (one of my guilty fetish teams.) It would be undignified....He's only been good at three things....throwing bombs to receivers with the first name of Mark....selling Isotoner gloves in very bad commercials, and guest staring in a classic with Jim Carrey.

I'm hoping Snow-Blower Joe does better in Colorado....but he's still a bit away and far from safe. He's one big snow-fall from taking himself out of the action so his bosses don't have to intervene. How it unfolds is a wild-card. I wish him the best but yeah....f*** him and the NY Rangers offer-sheet.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Yes, that'll be the shortest path to a good rebuild. Some teams who can otherwise contend (short of a pass rush and a couple of other parts), could certainly be trade partners. Green Bay, Carolina, even Cleveland, are possibilities. New England could use a pass rush also, and Brady has but a year or two left, which could quite possibly match Miller's elite years left.

Also, Daniel Jones just declared for the draft.

What does Green Bay have that’s worth trading Von? The Broncos lose in those trades unless they’re getting Rodgers orNewton.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Vance Joseph was one of the worst coaching hires of all time. He was a Nuggets-hiring-Michael-Cooper-level blunder. The guy was so extraordinarily inept it literally cost them games, and two seasons. It's sad because I truly think he was the worst Broncos head coach of all time, and when you can say a guy was nominally worse than Josh ****ing McDaniels, that says something.

Hires like that should cost a GM his job. But it won't in this case because the Broncos aren't going to fire their franchise icon. He'll have to resign first.

Again, Joe Ellis acting as the Cardinal Richelieu of the NFL is where the biggest problem lies. Until he's gone I have zero confidence this will ever get fixed. But Elway is definitely part of the problem, he just isn't the biggest part.

The Broncos made it to two Super Bowls under Elway. There’s no way he should be fired for hiring Joseph. After the Broncos made it to two SBs with two different coaches, he might have wrongly assumed it would work with anyone he chooses.

What’s strange is listening to the contrasting comments with race involved.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
What does Green Bay have that’s worth trading Von? The Broncos lose in those trades unless they’re getting Rodgers orNewton.

If the Broncos trade Miller, it'll likely be for straight futures. Perhaps some cats and dogs thrown in. Like the Mack trade.

And they wouldn't lose in the Miller trade, as they're not going anywhere in the next couple of years with Miller anyway.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
If the Broncos trade Miller, it'll likely be for straight futures. Perhaps some cats and dogs thrown in. Like the Mack trade.

And they wouldn't lose in the Miller trade, as they're not going anywhere in the next couple of years with Miller anyway.

Of course they could lose by trading Miller.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Harris back for the Nuggets, Barton could play as soon as next week.

19 points, 15 rebounds, 14 assists, 3 blocks, 1 steal for Jokic.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We lost Mean Gene AND Super Dave today. And both were 76.

I had no idea Mean Gene and Andre the Giant were both from the AWA. I have tons of fond memories when it was AWA and WWF back-to-back on weekend mornings.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
lol this guy sounds like he really wants to be the next Broncos coach

Vic Fangio focused on Eagles, not head coaching opportunities

So is Fangio getting ready for his soon-to-come round of interviews? Nope.
“I’ve done zero on that,” Fangio said Wednesday when asked how much prep work he’s done for his meetings with owners and general managers. “Zero. I have enough on my plate coaching these guys and the other things. I’ll deal with it as they come up.”​

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Harris back for the Nuggets, Barton could play as soon as next week.

19 points, 15 rebounds, 14 assists, 3 blocks, 1 steal for Jokic.

He might be my favorite passer in the league.

And can we play the nuggets all of the time? The game was fun, our kids did things, Jokic is always a delight, and we got the tanking win.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Supposed to go to the Mammoth tomorrow but my cousin gave me late notice that her daughter's fifth birthday just happens to be at the exact same time. Attempts to convince her to have her birthday at the Mammoth game were unsuccessful. Gonna have to watch on TV.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
you'll laugh at this but I think the NFL really misses NFL Europe. It was a fantastic developing ground that's now missing. The two areas where the NFL is hurting (QB/OL) are ironically the two places where NFL Europe really provided a lot of players to the league.

Top 10 Most Famous NFL Europe Players | The Growth of a Game

Hah, I can still remember the old World League, I actually got into it the one season they were in North America. Mouse Davis (former Denver Gold coach) was one of their coaches, for the NY/NJ Knights I think.

But yes, I would think the NFL could benefit from a developmental league, especially if it went into direct competition with the NCAA.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Nuggets with another win.

This team is deep. The deepest Nuggets team I have ever seen.

Deep and young. Apart from Millsap and Barton there's no key piece of the core of this team older than 24. They've done a phenomenal job drafting in recent years other than busting on Mudiay. If Michael Porter Jr. pans out to be the kind of player he was hyped up to be coming out of high school, the Nuggets could be on the verge of becoming a perennial powerhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad