OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I assume you mean Trevor Lawrence from Clemson, and unfortunately we aren't bad enough to get the number 1 pick, even with the tank master VJ at the helm.

In seriousness though that kid is legit, he'll go number 1 in his draft. I would kill to get him. All the tools and just wins.

Yeah he is the real deal - I hadn’t really watched Clemson all year long (because I hate Clemson) but that kid is legit. Some of the throws he makes are already NFL ready. Just wish he didn’t look like Sunshine from Remember the Titans.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
As for Stafford, if he is available you sure as **** go and get him. Way better than any option we have or could possibly have any time soon. He gets under-rated due to a crappy Detroit team. They haven't given him anything to work with since Megatron quit. But yet still produces consistent numbers every year. He at least has shown to be a solid NFL starter throughout his career. Something we could use in the worst way.

That being said don't see it happening good things don't happen to the Broncos and their QB situations since we got hella lucky that Manning came here.
People hate Stafford here. Imo I think he’s overrated and the lions pay him way too much. Better then keenum sure but not worth whatever we would give up.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It's going to be interesting to see what Denver does with this offseason. It's got to be obvious - even to Elway - that they need to rebuild this thing. They have so many needs, combined with a lot of expiring contracts. I mean, the only defensive linemen they have signed at all for next season, are Gotsis, Wolfe, and Demarcus Walker. Not terribly inspiring.

They're weak literally at every position, except OLB (Chubb/Miller) and RB. They need talent everywhere.

So, Hasbro - too early for a 2019 mock? :naughty:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
All kinds of stuff coming out -

Chris Harris expects total overhaul, only 2-3 vets from SB team to remain. Harris is expecting a huge wrecking ball.

Broncos reach out to Pats to interview DC Flores and Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak. Honestly I think the Flores deal is just to satisfy the Rooney rule. They always seem to get that interview out of the way ASAP as almost a formality.

I’m waiting to hear about Gase. I’m super curious to know if that bridge was burnt when Adam left. I’m guessing it was.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
So it turns out featherweight kickboxers can't beat welterweight all-time great boxers in boxing matches.

Who knew?

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
I bet they hire someone like Fangio or Munchak and then install Kubiak as OC. We get 6-10 next year and on and on.

I'd rather see a fresh offensive mind take the reigns. Next year is going to suck with Keenum Orton either way. But there are a few good young pieces, get a foward thinking coach to build around and hopefully draft a franchise qb in the next two years

@ABasin I don't think it's obvious to Elway they need to rebuild. He said in their presser he thinks they are close.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Definitely need to rebuild and should evaluate what they could get via trade for Von Miller to get it kick started.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
There’s a rumor that Stafford could be traded, who would take him here? I could see Elway making a move for someone like him.

Not sure I would, also this rumor is probably BS anyways but just throwing it out there.

lions would be hit with 30M cap penlaty if they traded him (the same as his current cap hit) and would need to find at least as good replacement… so yes, that is BS.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
@ABasin I don't think it's obvious to Elway they need to rebuild. He said in their presser he thinks they are close.

For s**t's sake, he can't possibly really believe that. I get that he has to keep the fanbase engaged, but come on. Everyone else on earth can see it.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Definitely need to rebuild and should evaluate what they could get via trade for Von Miller to get it kick started.

Yes, that'll be the shortest path to a good rebuild. Some teams who can otherwise contend (short of a pass rush and a couple of other parts), could certainly be trade partners. Green Bay, Carolina, even Cleveland, are possibilities. New England could use a pass rush also, and Brady has but a year or two left, which could quite possibly match Miller's elite years left.

Also, Daniel Jones just declared for the draft.

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Smart move... in a weak class, he might move into the top 10 or 15.

Broncos picking at #10. :D

Yes, with Herbert staying in school, he'll be right in the mix with Lock and Grier in the first round. Lock probably goes first, then Grier/Jones will likely be bunched fairly close together.

I like all three of them better than Haskins.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So...is Elway in the hot-seat yet?

Hard to imagine fans souring on him but yeah....looks that way from the outside.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So...is Elway in the hot-seat yet?

Hard to imagine fans souring on him but yeah....looks that way from the outside.

Vance Joseph was one of the worst coaching hires of all time. He was a Nuggets-hiring-Michael-Cooper-level blunder. The guy was so extraordinarily inept it literally cost them games, and two seasons. It's sad because I truly think he was the worst Broncos head coach of all time, and when you can say a guy was nominally worse than Josh f***ing McDaniels, that says something.

Hires like that should cost a GM his job. But it won't in this case because the Broncos aren't going to fire their franchise icon. He'll have to resign first.

Again, Joe Ellis acting as the Cardinal Richelieu of the NFL is where the biggest problem lies. Until he's gone I have zero confidence this will ever get fixed. But Elway is definitely part of the problem, he just isn't the biggest part.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Broncos picking at #10. :D

Yes, with Herbert staying in school, he'll be right in the mix with Lock and Grier in the first round. Lock probably goes first, then Grier/Jones will likely be bunched fairly close together.

I like all three of them better than Haskins.

Lock is the guy I was envisioning the Broncos getting, but it seems like they're going to have to move up for him now. The Bucs/Giants/Jags could all take a QB, but the crummier part is that there's a whole slew of teams at the top of round 1 who will be auctioning off their picks because they already have a QB1.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I really don't watch and haven't really followed the NHL since Tom Landry was fired but that son a bitch who won't be named in Dallas.

That being said, it seems like from what I've read here the Broncos biggest flaw is the lack of talent at QB. I'm not sure how long it takes to do a full rebuild in the NFL but top tier QBs can play for more than a decade right? Maybe blow the whole thing up, hope the pieces you get brings in that guy and start building around the QB instead of trying to find some passable (no pun intended) talent around the team already in place with holes? If the heart of the team is the QB, that shouldn't be the last piece you bring in should it?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Lock is the guy I was envisioning the Broncos getting, but it seems like they're going to have to move up for him now. The Bucs/Giants/Jags could all take a QB, but the crummier part is that there's a whole slew of teams at the top of round 1 who will be auctioning off their picks because they already have a QB1.

Yes, teams picking 1-5 don't need QBs (TB is likely going to stick with Winston, from everything I've read). Giants/Jacksonville, picking 6-7, need a QB. Then the Broncos at 10. After that, the only team in the top 20 picks needing a QB, is Washington at 15. Perhaps Miami at 13. That's really not too many teams needing QBs.

BTW, I've seen reports that Denver is picking 9th and other reports saying 10th. Anyone know the deal?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lack of QBs in the National Football League has been an issue for at least a generation, if not longer.

Honestly the lack of talent is ridiculous. I can still remember as a kid a lot of the teams in the league had at least a capable field general. If not an iconic guy (Elway, Montana, Marino) they had someone very good (Moon, Kelly, Cunningham), good (Kosar) or someone at least passable (Everett, Harbaugh, Schroeder, Testaverde, Hebert). But in the Manning/Brady era? Holy shit, so many busts. Couch, Harrington, Russell, Leinart, LEAF, Sanchize the Butt-fumbler, and so on. I can't believe there aren't at least Orton-level game-managers out there who can at least give a marginally talented team win on a given Sunday. I think the NFL needs to shift its focus away from high draft picks and look at some of the undrafteds and really see about getting a developmental system into play. I don't think a minor league or World League is necessarily a viable option given how brief a professional football player's career on average is, but I dunno...the current system ain't working.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Lack of QBs in the National Football League has been an issue for at least a generation, if not longer.

Honestly the lack of talent is ridiculous. I can still remember as a kid a lot of the teams in the league had at least a capable field general. If not an iconic guy (Elway, Montana, Marino) they had someone very good (Moon, Kelly, Cunningham), good (Kosar) or someone at least passable (Everett, Harbaugh, Schroeder, Testaverde, Hebert). But in the Manning/Brady era? Holy ****, so many busts. Couch, Harrington, Russell, Leinart, LEAF, Sanchize the Butt-fumbler, and so on. I can't believe there aren't at least Orton-level game-managers out there who can at least give a marginally talented team win on a given Sunday. I think the NFL needs to shift its focus away from high draft picks and look at some of the undrafteds and really see about getting a developmental system into play. I don't think a minor league or World League is necessarily a viable option given how brief a professional football player's career on average is, but I dunno...the current system ain't working.

Ivan and I have discussed this topic several times.

IMO, it's not just the QBs. It's the pressure on college coaches to win immediately, so they put tailbacks at QB, and teach them to run after a single read, and those guys in those systems have no chance in the NFL.

In addition, many of the best athletes are playing defense now, leaving the lesser athletes on offense and the least athletic of all on the OL, and the QBs are getting killed at all levels, especially at the NFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad