OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
If what was leaked was true then I'm fine with giving Elway more time. That would mean he went after a super bowl winning, experienced coach and tried to land the big fish QB in the off season. All while we still had good players in their prime. which seems like the kind of plan they should've made. Although I still don't understand the firing/not wanting to pay Wade (Unless this was Ellis as well). Then all my ire would shift toward Ellis. I'm not saying with Cousins and Shanahan we would've been superbowl contenders, but I bet we would be in the playoffs.

I'm not the biggest Dmac fan, but I liked his twitter rant about wanting Elway to promote himself and hiring Manning to take over most of his duties.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I don't watch the No Fun League, but a lot of people talk about the Broncos in the hospital. Do you guys' seriously believe that this current head coach is all the problems for them? And not just Elway and the QB? Even if you lot fired Jones and hired somebody competent, the Denver Broncos are the Calgary Flames of the NFL. Good enough to be considered a playoff bubble team every year, but bad enough to either miss out or be a first round exit drafting 15th overall.

I forgot which team did it (believe it was the Jets), but they should've drafted up and grabbed a QB. My friend was saying that last year's draft was a generational draft for QBs and Broncos drafted a chubby fat guy or something.

Tell your friend to ease back on the dope. That screams of hot take. In the Broncos position Rosen might have been a better pick than Chubb, but that's definitely not a given.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Thankfully Chubb's been proving me wrong about his play, BUT I still wonder if the trade down with Buffalo might have been the better move and drafting Lamar Jackson.

It's blatant Ellis should have followed McDaniels out the door.

For what it's worth, the Nuggets are #1 in some power ranking, which I'm sure is the first time since sports outlets have been doing power rankings. Honestly the only time it might have happened in their history could have been during the David Thompson era.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
so.. shanny and cousins was going to happen until ellis shot it down last year?

My apologies someone finally told me that story was about Mike not Kyle....that's actually shocking.

Isn't Mike pretty damn old though? Not to mention sequels never end well. Having Gruden with the Raiders and Shanny with the Broncos would have definitely been weird.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I like that Chubb is showing well right now, but damn...the Broncos need a QB, and I can't help but wonder how they would be looking right now if they could've traded up for Baker/Darnold or just stood pat and taken Rosen. Now obviously Rosen hasn't looked that good, Darnold's been rather mixed, and Baker started slow but has found some footing recently, so the goal would've been sit them for a little bit before allowing them to take over.

They're not really going to go anywhere until a franchise QB is found.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'm really curious if there was any attempt by the Broncos to grab the Giants pick, and what that would have cost.

Darnold - despite being on the crummy Jets - has actually shown glimpes of being very good. I dunno how I feel about Rosen. If you asked me 8 months ago I would have said he was going to be awesome, but he looks completely lost with the Cardinals.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I like that Chubb is showing well right now, but damn...the Broncos need a QB, and I can't help but wonder how they would be looking right now if they could've traded up for Baker/Darnold or just stood pat and taken Rosen. Now obviously Rosen hasn't looked that good, Darnold's been rather mixed, and Baker started slow but has found some footing recently, so the goal would've been sit them for a little bit before allowing them to take over.

They're not really going to go anywhere until a franchise QB is found.
There was no way in hell the Browns weren't drafting QB with that #1, so forget dealing up.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
There was no way in hell the Browns weren't drafting QB with that #1, so forget dealing up.

I think Cleveland could've gone down to #5, because they still would've had their pick of Rosen or Allen. But it's all moot anyway.

When I heard Denver liked Baker, I started getting excited. I think he has the right amount of confidence (though he borders on cocky at times), and am excited to see what he does in Cleveland.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think Cleveland could've gone down to #5, because they still would've had their pick of Rosen or Allen. But it's all moot anyway.

When I heard Denver liked Baker, I started getting excited. I think he has the right amount of confidence (though he borders on cocky at times), and am excited to see what he does in Cleveland.

Bakers gonna be a stud. He he’s the right confidence and attitude to become an elite player in the league. I was super upset when he went 1oa.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The ballsy move that Elway should have made was in 2017, when the Chiefs jumped the Broncos and everyone else for Mahomes.

It's pretty evident that Elway plays it way too conservative with trading up / taking chances. He doesn't seem like the type of guy who is going to throw 3 1st rounders out there to solve the QB issue. It's rather entertaining to watch him talk about how keeping his draft picks is so crucially important, despite the fact that before this year he's pretty much botched the majority of their selections.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Sachi Brown got fired in no small part for trading down with picks that became Carson Wentz and DeShaun Watson. The Cuyahoga would have caught fire again if the new Gm traded down.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I believe the reports that the Broncos tried like hell to trade up but it just wasn't happening. Not with the QBs that were available in that draft. They picked the right guy. Now they gotta work hard and hopefully parlay their picks and get an actual QB this time.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
My apologies someone finally told me that story was about Mike not Kyle....that's actually shocking.

Isn't Mike pretty damn old though? Not to mention sequels never end well. Having Gruden with the Raiders and Shanny with the Broncos would have definitely been weird.

Mike Shanahan is 66 - same age as Pete Carroll

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, I believe the reports that the Broncos tried like hell to trade up but it just wasn't happening. Not with the QBs that were available in that draft. They picked the right guy. Now they gotta work hard and hopefully parlay their picks and get an actual QB this time.

I just hope they don’t try and force QB picks like some many teams before them have done. Build the team up as well as possible and when you find your guy go for him. Browns finally started to do that over the last few seasons and look to actually have a solid team built up here.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I just hope they don’t try and force QB picks like some many teams before them have done. Build the team up as well as possible and when you find your guy go for him. Browns finally started to do that over the last few seasons and look to actually have a solid team built up here.

Oh I agree. Hell, they already forced the pick with frickin' Paxton Lynch. And that guy wasn't even good enough to warrant a 3rd string job in the league.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I wouldn't want Shanahan back. To me his days as a good coach ended the moment he benched Jake Plummer.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wouldn't want Shanahan back. To me his days as a good coach ended the moment he benched Jake Plummer.

I don't think that was the problem. The moment the opposition figured out he was absolutely useless in the pocket and all you had to do was prevent him from rolling out, Jake was broken. He kinda knew it too.

That, to me, is not when Shanahan finally lost it. That day, to me, was when he fired Larry Coyer. At that point he clearly was just throwing random stuff on the wall and hoping it was gonna stick, there wasn't really a plan anymore. A prime example was when he hired Jim Bates to fix the defense, followed his orders to load up the defensive line with big, slow, fat guys, then abruptly fired Bates and tried to get rid of said fat guys, at least one of whom didn't take kindly to it (can't remember the name).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I don't think that was the problem. The moment the opposition figured out he was absolutely useless in the pocket and all you had to do was prevent him from rolling out, Jake was broken. He kinda knew it too.
And he stopped rushing on the bootleg and would force it into coverage.

FTR, while just about anyone short of McDaniels would be a better alternative to frickin' VJ,
They don't come shorter than McDaniels.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
They were in first place in the division when Plummer was benched, and historically only Manning and Elway had a better winning percentage than Jake.

Jay Cutler was not a leader then, he never became one, and the franchise didn't recover from Plummer's benching until the Tebow year.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
They were in first place in the division when Plummer was benched, and historically only Manning and Elway had a better winning percentage than Jake.

Jay Cutler was not a leader then, he never became one, and the franchise didn't recover from Plummer's benching until the Tebow year.

Well...I'm not gonna say Cutler was the answer, because he clearly wasn't. Shanahan definitely had an issue when it came to rushing his hand-picked QB prospects to the front of the line. He did something similar with Brian Griese. I just thought the real end was set in motion when Coyer, the one, lone guy who brought some real stability to that Broncos defense, was fired, even though it was a lot of Shanahan's poor personnel decisions that led to that defense's demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->