Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXIV: Cactus League

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Eh.. I really don't care at this point. The entire left side of the Padres infield should've been Sox players. Reinsdorf's incompetence as an owner is a ****ing disgrace. This quote from another board is spot on.
Michael Reinsdorf will sell the Sox once his old man departs the earth.

It's well known Reinsdorf's children only want to keep the Bulls.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If they have any idea about the pulse of the fanbase today, they should be on the phone with Boras offering 10/330 as we speak. Should Harper land elsewhere, there is nothing that can prepare them for the ****storm that will be the 2019 season. They will have days where their attendance will be in the hundreds instead of thousands. Jerry will have crossed into Dollar Bill Wirtz territory to Sox fans and they won't come back until there is new ownership.

Holy hell man.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Eh.. I really don't care at this point. The entire left side of the Padres infield should've been Sox players. Reinsdorf's incompetence as an owner is a ****ing disgrace. This quote from another board is spot on.

JR already said the Sox will be sold upon his death if that’s any consolation. The Bulls will remain with the family though.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Dude that isn't my opinion. I'm still going to watch but there is no way in hell I'm going to games unless they get Harper. Go read this:
It's finally happening: Machado reportedly signs with Padres

I realize the irony of what I'm about to say, but I don't think rantings of people on message boards, specifically in the emotion of the moment, is the best indication of the pulse of a fan base. The people that care the most are the most hyperbolic and also the least likely to not go. It sucks as a fan, but it's the truth. Attendance might dip a touch, but it's not going to be some sort of mass exodus. They missed out on a big name free agent. They were in fact serious players for him, despite you refusing to believe that, and they didn't land him. They are in a rebuild. They missed on a big name FA. There will be others. Breathe.

But JR with the Sox isn't close to Old man Wirtz. That's just crazy talk.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I realize the irony of what I'm about to say, but I don't think rantings of people on message boards, specifically in the emotion of the moment, is the best indication of the pulse of a fan base. The people that care the most are the most hyperbolic and also the least likely to not go. It sucks as a fan, but it's the truth. Attendance might dip a touch, but it's not going to be some sort of mass exodus. They missed out on a big name free agent. They were in fact serious players for him, despite you refusing to believe that, and they didn't land him. They are in a rebuild. They missed on a big name FA. There will be others. Breathe.

But JR with the Sox isn't close to Old man Wirtz. That's just crazy talk.
I know, but he's starting to approach that territory. There are a lot of similarities between JR's relationship with Paxon and Ken Williams and Bill Wirtz/Pulford. That is more where the comparison comes from. The penny pinching doesn't help either. The only difference is that he lucked into a championship and hasn't been penny pinching for as long. The organizational rot is extremely similar though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Im with @KanersBaldSpot

As a sox fan I'm just disgusted with the whole organization. To sit there and proclaim your deserve a seat at the table and act like a big boy team financially, yet fall short by quite a lot. I fell for it hook line and sinker this was the year to get a big free agent without the real big teams being involved.
I know the offered $250 with incentives and opt ins valued at $350.
That's a great looking and sounding proposal until the player you offer it to continues to say I want $300 million guaranteed, nothing less.

But don't worry we sox fans have great prospects to get excited for.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Sox will sign Adam Jones which is the equivalent of the Bulls signing Carlos Boozer.

How embarrassing. I'm not even a Sox fan and this is completely humiliating.

Manny trolled Sox fans with the gloves. Gotta love that guy.

Update- he's already in The Show 19 as a Padre. This is awesome!!

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Im with @KanersBaldSpot

As a sox fan I'm just disgusted with the whole organization. To sit there and proclaim your deserve a seat at the table and act like a big boy team financially, yet fall short by quite a lot. I fell for it hook line and sinker this was the year to get a big free agent without the real big teams being involved.
I know the offered $250 with incentives and opt ins valued at $350.
That's a great looking and sounding proposal until the player you offer it to continues to say I want $300 million guaranteed, nothing less.

But don't worry we sox fans have great prospects to get excited for.

The whole joke is there's 10-12 franchises that you could say the exact same thing about. And then when everyone magically decides to compete in 2021 there's going to be a lot of teams that all of the sudden need to "extend" their pre-contention window because they can't get anyone in FA.

The sport on the whole is an absolute mess right now. Labour Armageddon in 2022 is going to be fun.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The whole joke is there's 10-12 franchises that you could say the exact same thing about. And then when everyone magically decides to compete in 2021 there's going to be a lot of teams that all of the sudden need to "extend" their pre-contention window because they can't get anyone in FA.

The sport on the whole is an absolute mess right now. Labour Armageddon in 2022 is going to be fun.
Harper and Machado getting $300mn+ will help matters a bit though.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Feel bad for the Sox fans. I really thought Manny would sign with you guys.

If the Sox could not get to the price that Manny eventually signed for, then there is no chance at getting Harper. That sucks. I don't know what the Sox will do now, other than pray for huge leaps by the young players. Sincerely, I am sorry that the Sox did not get Manny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->