Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXIV: Cactus League

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Didn't get only offer a max of $250?
They offered 8/250 supposedly yeah. You can debate weather they should have gone to 10/300. I personally understand why they wouldn't, but I understand the other side. My issue is with referring to their interest as "not serious".

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Lol at Sox fans who thought Machado was signing with the Sox.

Nobody wants to play there.

Nobody wants to play for Reinsdorf

Nobody wants to play on the second baseball team in Chicago

Maybe Ribbie and Roobarb met him at O'Hare?

As for Machado, I'd rather play with Tatis and that stacked minor league system then the Sox, which, IMO, is considerably over rated. Maybe Moncada will show up this year and not look like a complete bust (shrugs)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
They offered 8/250 supposedly yeah. You can debate weather they should have gone to 10/300. I personally understand why they wouldn't, but I understand the other side. My issue is with referring to their interest as "not serious".
Yep. The Sox could have gone with longer years. However, as a poster who preaches cap / luxury cap management, i can't completely disagree with the Sox offer. It was fair and realistic. Only the Padres were willing to go higher and they came in late. Let's not forget their biggest signing last year. Hosmer was a disaster.

Good for the Padres though. They are going for it.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yes. Anything less than 10/300 was a bad offer. If they would have gone there, it would have been done 6 weeks ago.
That's fair. You think they should have given Machado 10 years. I'm in the camp 10 years is just too long. I say this as a Cubs fan.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
That's fair. You think they should have given Machado 10 years. I'm in the camp 10 years is just too long. I say this as a Cubs fan.
It is the cost of doing business. If it ever made sense for anyone, it would make sense for Harper and Machado, along with A-Rod and Manny Ramirez. (if you didn't know about the roids)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Machado can **** off

Sox offer was more then fair and was not "Cheap"

Which was always my impression. His wife always wanted to be in NYC or SoCal. Kurkjian also implied Machado wasn't a huge fan of the cold (brought up in Miami) or big market media. San Diego makes a lot of sense vs. LA, NYC, or Chicago.

The ChiSox tried to lure his wife through her brother.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Machado used the Sox offer for a bigger payday.

His agent is a boss. I don't think he had any intention of signing with a team owned by Reinsdorf

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Sox can still save face since Bryce is still out there, but I doubt they'll go that route.
If they have any idea about the pulse of the fanbase today, they should be on the phone with Boras offering 10/330 as we speak. Should Harper land elsewhere, there is nothing that can prepare them for the shitstorm that will be the 2019 season. They will have days where their attendance will be in the hundreds instead of thousands. Jerry will have crossed into Dollar Bill Wirtz territory to Sox fans and they won't come back until there is new ownership.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If that happened, that would like getting pissed on an being told it is raining.

Eh.. I really don't care at this point. The entire left side of the Padres infield should've been Sox players. Reinsdorf's incompetence as an owner is a f***ing disgrace. This quote from another board is spot on.

He made a great deal buying the Sox. An even better deal buying the Bulls. Combined, the teams are worth about $5 billion. He and his partners, many of whom are the same for both teams, have made tons of money. And except for Michael Jordan, and a for a short while DRose, hasn't had sustained winning for either franchise. With all they have made, you would think paying Machado or Harper would be a small payback to the people of Chicago who have given so much for, except for MJ, which these guys had nothing to do with acquiring, so little. It's time for the ownership group to move on. Let there be another voice. JR's isn't woking. His loyal lieutenants' aren't working. They need to get with the times.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Eh.. I really don't care at this point. The entire left side of the Padres infield should've been Sox players. Reinsdorf's incompetence as an owner is a ****ing disgrace. This quote from another board is spot on.
I saw that from SoxTalk dude and I don't disagree with anything he said.
I don't really give a crap either. I'll probably still watch on TV but there is no way in hell I'm going to the ballpark until they prove they're worthy of it for the foreseeable future. I'm too f***ing poor to spend what little money I have on them if they don't understand the value of a superstar player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad