Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXIV: Cactus League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
My bad then, but that doesn't make your statement any less full of ****. How many teams have been linked to Machado? How many made offers?

So using your definition, only 1 team was serious about Manny, because only one team hit the minimum. Phillies weren't serious. What a load of crap.
Yes. That is why they got him. If Philly isn't able to top Stanton, they're not serious about Harper either. I have zero hope in the Sox topping Stanton, so they're not getting Harper.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
IIRC, the biggest contract the Sox have ever handed out is around 50M. This Machado deal was as good as it’s going to get. If anything, star salaries are trending up. Feel for Sox fans, enjoy Eloy while he’s there.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yes. That is why they got him. If Philly isn't able to top Stanton, they're not serious about Harper either. I have zero hope in the Sox topping Stanton, so they're not getting Harper.
Boras and Reinsdorf don't mix.

Boras promised Harper he would be the highest paid player this winter. It will take $301mn to sign Harper.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So Rick Hahn is a liar. He said the money would be there when the time came. And now apparently KW said they never were going to spend 300 mil.
They're obviously not interested in anything other than B-/C+ Free agents because you have to spend $25M to even get a B+ FA. This is how much star players cost in modern baseball. 10/300 with a 5 year opt out is a bargain for Machado. The fact they can't recognize that is an epic failure.

Reactions: Sarava

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
So Rick Hahn is a liar. He said the money would be there when the time came. And now apparently KW said they never were going to spend 300 mil.
Kenny Williams is a doofus. Lord knows how he's a Stanford alumnus.

I can't blame the Sox not spending $300mn for 10 years. I'd rather give him $250mn for 7 years.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
They're obviously not interested in anything other than B-/C+ Free agents because you have to spend $25M to even get a B+ FA. This is how much star players cost in modern baseball. 10/300 with a 5 year opt out is a bargain for Machado. The fact they can't recognize that is an epic failure.
Isn't the opt out a player's option? No one is going to offer Machado $150mn+ guaranteed at 31 years of age.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
We can help you out Sox bros... You can have Jason Heyward as your star.

I'll be honest, Rawlings troll job actually made me think the WS were actually going to get him.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Yes. Exactly why this was an absolute joke. The contract that Machado ended up signing should have been their starting point ffs.
$300mn for 10 years is a long time. Without PEDs, players start signficantly declining at about 32. That implies $90mn is a write off.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
And now one of the Sox top prospects Luis Basabe out 3 months with a broken hamate bone.

When it rains, it pours.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I'm out of the loop on ownership here

Is Reinsdorf generally considered the cheapest owner in the league?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
We can help you out Sox bros... You can have Jason Heyward as your star.

I'll be honest, Rawlings troll job actually made me think the WS were actually going to get him.

26 year old, with an opt out, what can go wrong?

Machado is better than that obviously and I be pretty shocked if he fell off anything like that as soon as Hayward did. But they are just 3 years into that deal, with 5 to go and it's significantly limiting their spending decisions. The Sox don't have the money the Cubs do, which is why I understand (while still being disappointed) not giving 10 years.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
How so? Nobody thought that Machado was going sign for less than 10/300 and Harper for 10/330. If you're actually serious that is where you start.

It's a negotiation. Why would you want the starting offer to be where you ultimately end up? You offer that up front as you suggest, you aren't getting him for that.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
This is such horse****. They are one of four teams linked to him and one of two to have made an actual offer. That they choose to not go to 10/300 doesn't mean they weren't ever serious.

Just Cubs fan bull****.

Speaking of fools, if you think the Cubs don't have the money to spend on anyone....

Didn't get only offer a max of $250?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad