Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXV - NBA Lottery Watch/MLB Opening Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Ok go to work and say it and see what happens. I can say lots of swear words at work and no one cares, I can’t say that and there’s a reason

If I tell a coworker "f*** you" or "c**ksucker" you don't think there's gonna be repercussions? Again, people need to stop comparing regular work places to professional sports. If you are going to suspend somebody (a black guy at that) for using something engraved in African American and Latin culture, then baseball should be doing it with stuff like the crap with Schwarber and Terry Collins too. I personally don't agree with it, but...

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
To take it a further should Andrew Shaw not haven been suspended for calling someone a Homophobic Slur? I mean it’s a common term that a lot of people grew up saying

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I'm (half) African American...
Of course sports is different. You'd be shocked to hear what's said in D1 sports. Yes ... I think we all know where the line is. Even officials understand the context. There is nuance.

However, when there is a fight and things have to be written up and pushed to the higher ups, there's no flexibility. They'll go by the letter of the law especially when it comes to racial / sexual slurs (it's a new day). I'm sure Tim Anderson was aware.

We can also call people the "f" word at the workplace ... if we understand the context. It's happens on the trading floor all the time. However, we also know when HR gets involved, there will be consequences.

I've seen plenty of managers / players ejected and suspended for the use of profanity directed at officials. Roger Clemens was ejected in a 1990 playoff game for yelling at an ump. However, Yuli Gurriel was allowed to play in the World Series after making racial gestures at Yu Darvish (granted he was suspended 5 games in the regular season). Who knows what the logic was for that ruling? Heck, I see players fight when trash talk questions one's manhood. LeBron called out Draymond for using the "B" word to the media.

Ultimately, it's still a professional setting. While players certainly have latitude, they also have to be aware that they can be punished for crossing the line. It's buyer beware.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
It also doesn't take a metric ton of nuance to differentiate between a baseball field and goddamn Goldman Sachs.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It also doesn't take a metric ton of nuance to differentiate between a baseball field and goddamn Goldman Sachs.
I can tell you've never been on the trading floor at Goldman Sachs or Lehman Brothers. Trust me, it got bad ... though things have really cleaned up after the numerous lawsuits.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
You seem to want everyone to understand every nuance of their position but you refuse to see any nuance in the other side. It doesn't fit your narrative and doesn't help you earn internet morality points, but it may help you understand the issue better.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

Right because people are watching sports so there’s a lot more publicity and notoriety to your conduct. Have to be even more well behaved

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

I don't expect some people to get it, and that's okay. I just find the whole "workplace" funny when most people in offices can’t walk around with a huge lipper, can’t throw a hard object at a co-worker when they get frustrated for doing better work than they did, can’t drink at their desk, etc. how it's the white average joe I see trying to "police" this. Shit is crazy.

Reactions: MurrayBannerman

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don't expect some people to get it, and that's okay. I just find the whole "workplace" funny when most people in offices can’t walk around with a huge lipper, can’t throw a hard object at a co-worker when they get frustrated for doing better work than they did, can’t drink at their desk, etc. how it's the white average joe I see trying to "police" this. **** is crazy.
Sure, and anyone who honestly believes black people shouldn’t be able to say the word because they can’t is an idiot. I don’t really care, I’m certainly not offended, but if you say that word on the field and get your wrist slapped for it I understand why. I don’t think he should be suspended, nor should any other player for cursing, but if Schwarber got a game for mf’ing an ump I’d understand it.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't expect some people to get it, and that's okay. I just find the whole "workplace" funny when most people in offices can’t walk around with a huge lipper, can’t throw a hard object at a co-worker when they get frustrated for doing better work than they did, can’t drink at their desk, etc. how it's the white average joe I see trying to "police" this. **** is crazy.
Back in the day, I had a managing director BSD who yelled profanities at me all the time. In fact, it got so bad, HR had to politely ask him to stop although I didn't say a word. If any of you read Liar's Poker, the head of my desk was the Human Piranha (he wasn't the one swearing ... that was my team boss). That's no joke. That's not all. Some of the misogynistic banter was terrible. Most people didn't mean anything by it, but it was best things were "cleaned" up. I know people who put in huge "lipper" on the trading floor as recently as a decade ago. LOL.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Trust me ... I understand where both MurrayBannerman and clydesdale line are coming from. It's not our "word". At least for me, I'm not trying to tell African Americans when they can or can't use the word. It's not about that. Only the extremists are demanding Tim Anderson apologize. Most people understand the nuance. However, most people also understand why he could be suspended / fined for it. Kobe Bryant was fined $100,000 for calling a ref a gay slur in 2011. I don't think Kobe is opposed to the LGBTQ community. However, not everything is about a specific group. There's a bigger story / picture to tell.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I can tell you've never been on the trading floor at Goldman Sachs or Lehman Brothers. Trust me, it got bad ... though things have really cleaned up after the numerous lawsuits.

Even back in the day racial slurs wouldn’t have been tolerated.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Even back in the day racial slurs wouldn’t have been tolerated.
Of course, racials slurs were a no no (at least in public). Those fools were too smart for that (which makes them even more dangerous). However, misogynistic comments were not. They were said without a second thought.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Trust me ... I understand where both MurrayBannerman and clydesdale line are coming from. It's not our "word". At least for me, I'm not trying to tell African Americans when they can or can't use the word. It's not about that. Only the extremists are demanding Tim Anderson apologize. Most people understand the nuance. However, most people also understand why he could be suspended / fined for it. Kobe Bryant was fined $100,000 for calling a ref a gay slur in 2011. I don't think Kobe is opposed to the LGBTQ community. However, not everything is about a specific group. There's a bigger story / picture to tell.
sports as a whole has change and will work to get any and all kinds of slurs out of sports, if they can. so therefore they need to use the shotgun approach and use it across all spectrum and can not worry of what the intent or meaning or if it was meant for whatever way. they the league officials need to maintain the same level of equal handed justice. remember look at the statue of Lady Justice. there is a reason why she is blind.

it needs to be equal handed to control slurs.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
It's too bad we didn't look at him seriously when he was traded. Probably did not have enough draft capital.
however the club had its chance during the free agency period to get without loosing assets.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Jimenez pulls up lame after chasing a foul ball. Looked like a pulled groin. Staying out there for now but we'll see.

EDIT: Just made a fine diving catch into the stands so he must be alright.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Jimenez pulls up lame after chasing a foul ball. Looked like a pulled groin. Staying out there for now but we'll see.

EDIT: Just made a fine diving catch into the stands so he must be alright.
Both Jorge Soler & Eloy were really injury prone while in the Cubs system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad