Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LIX: Holy Bote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Interesting

So complain about busting 2B and crappy package for one of the top pitchers in game = Unreasonable and bad
Attacking a quality SP because it was Cubs who traded for him = Reasonable

This board as always

I have never once talked about the Sale trade with you, so I don’t know why you’re making that generalization.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I'm going to a Cubbies game soon... I kinda am hoping Cole Hamels pitches

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Hahn took Theo to the cleaners on that Q trade. Mercy.

When Eloy can prove he isn't Jorge Soler 2.0, and Cease prove he is a major league pitcher, that's when I will give credit to Hahn, but until then Eloy/Cease are still suspect/prospect and nothing more.

And Hahn still traded Fernando Tatis, Jr for Broken James Shields. So he better hope Eloy becomes Ronald Acuna or that is one trade he'll never live down.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Again, it's not about winning this trade or losing that trade. The Eloy trade looks great now...might look like a flop in 3 years. Who knows and who cares. What will determine success or failure is if the Sox are World Series contenders within the next 2-4 years or not.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Again, it's not about winning this trade or losing that trade. The Eloy trade looks great now...might look like a flop in 3 years. Who knows and who cares. What will determine success or failure is if the Sox are World Series contenders within the next 2-4 years or not.

Yep that is the way of the land in terms of sustained success. Tank 3-5 years, accumulate high draft picks in the hopes you land difference makers and make a run...rinse repeat. The Blackhawks (under Mike Smith), Cubs, Astros, Royals, A's have built the core of their teams in this fashion. White Sox are trying to duplicate it...

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yep that is the way of the land in terms of sustained success. Tank 3-5 years, accumulate high draft picks in the hopes you land difference makers and make a run...rinse repeat. The Blackhawks (under Mike Smith), Cubs, Astros, Royals, A's have built the core of their teams in this fashion. White Sox are trying to duplicate it...

Mike Smith was fired in October 2003. He drafted Seabrook and Keith (huge wins). Did you mean Tallon? Because Tallon (with Bowman) is responsible for the first cup and then Bowman for the later cups.

Last edited:

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Mike Smith did all the dirty work and got rid of the popular players aka salary dump...

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
When Eloy can prove he isn't Jorge Soler 2.0, and Cease prove he is a major league pitcher, that's when I will give credit to Hahn, but until then Eloy/Cease are still suspect/prospect and nothing more.

And Hahn still traded Fernando Tatis, Jr for Broken James Shields. So he better hope Eloy becomes Ronald Acuna or that is one trade he'll never live down.

Lol, you can't have it both ways. If your stance is Eloy/Cease are prospects/suspects, why doesn't that apply to Tatis?

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Rays moved Tyler Glasnow out of bullpen role he had with Pirates this year and back into starting role after trade and so far he is looking very promising for them in role

Pirates paid too much IMO
Glasnow wasn't going to be anything in Pittsburgh at this point. He went to an org with a reputation for turning tall starters into something. It was a perfect move for him.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Cubs acquire speedster Terrance Gore, always good to get that Dave Roberts type acquisition for pinch running in the playoffs, could be a difference maker that way.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
Hump day so the chatter turns from "the Cubs are missing the playoffs" to "so the Cubs might play Boston or _____ in the World Series". Live & die with every game, 162 times over.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Hump day so the chatter turns from "the Cubs are missing the playoffs" to "so the Cubs might play Boston or _____ in the World Series". Live & die with every game, 162 times over.

I have been frustrated with the Cubs, but I certainly think they have a chance to make the World Series. Mainly because I don’t really think there are any teams that stick out in the NL, so anyone who makes the playoffs may have a chance to get there.

However, I don’t know if the Cubs stand a chance against Boston or New York, unless their starting pitching figures it out. I mean, could you imagine these guys having to go against that Yankees lineup? Could be ugly.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Lol, you can't have it both ways. If your stance is Eloy/Cease are prospects/suspects, why doesn't that apply to Tatis?

I'm not having it both ways. For as much praise Hahn gets for getting Eloy/Cease, WS should be reminded they gave up a better prospect in Tatis for James Shields.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm not having it both ways. For as much praise Hahn gets for getting Eloy/Cease, WS should be reminded they gave up a better prospect in Tatis for James Shields.
Except that's not what you said.

You said you'd credit him for Eloy when he proves "he's not Soler 2.0". And then you ripped him for tradding Tatis. What has Tatis proven exactly?

If you are going to withhold praise for acquiring Eloy then you should withold blame for trading Tatis, as neither have proven anything.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I understand Cardinals fans being sensitive about Matt Carpenter right now, but I think some are going a little overboard.

I even had my buddy, who is a huge Cards fan, tell me that he doesn’t think it was intentionally.. and that it was actually partially Carpenter’s fault that he got hit. I mean, why would the Nationals throw at him there? I know he had the huge hit the other night, but he had been 0-6 since then... so it’s not like he was killing them the whole series. Just think it’s a bit of an overreaction, but I suppose I understand given his importance to the team right now.

Now.. if you want to see a really dirty bean ball... that Urena was clearly intentionally. That kind of crap just needs to go away in baseball, and people who still support that old school style of thinking are ridiculous.

Reactions: Blue Liner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->