Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Throw in Portis, picks, whatever they need. Paxson should be trying everything to move up to #3 or #4

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
For the Bulls tomorrow...
1. Bamba
2A. Trae
2B. Wendell

Anything else would feel disappointing, think they should absolutely trade up for JJJ or even Bamba, both players declined to workout for Memphis.

No to Trae Young, at all cost. I rather trade the pick to LAC for 12 and 13 than to draft Trae Young.

Don't have a dog in the fight as I'm not a Cubs fan, but Wilson was the closer for the Tigers last year before he was traded and he was good in that role, although it was for only a few months.

But Cishek was still the better option to fill-in as a closer. Wilson should have pitched the 6th and Cishek the 9th.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Are the Bulls brave enough to trade up for their guy like the Bears were for Trubs?

Gut says no.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Are the Bulls brave enough to trade up for their guy like the Bears were for Trubs?

Gut says no.

The last time they traded up for their guy (admittedly it was supposedly Thibs' "pick") was Doug McDermott and all it cost the Bulls was two good young prospects in Gary Harris and Jusuf Nurkic. So yeah, I'm not sure the Bulls should trade up.

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Lauri is yoked asf now, Lauri Markkanen center lineups coming right up...

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
The last time they traded up for their guy (admittedly it was supposedly Thibs' "pick") was Doug McDermott and all it cost the Bulls was two good young prospects in Gary Harris and Jusuf Nurkic. So yeah, I'm not sure the Bulls should trade up.
This is a very rational mindset.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
People say this is a 3 to 4 players draft (Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Jackson). Unless the Bulls are enamoured with 1 of them ... there's no reason to move up. Personally, I don't know if any of those 4 are sure bets. IMO, Bagley and Doncic are safer bets ... but who knows? This draft is all over the place. With so much volatility why move up?

Regarding Wendell Carter, I'm curious why people are so high on him. Most people who follow the ACC aren't as positive. He's decent, but not a game changer. He's an old school center who won't fit well in the new NBA. And how will he work with Markannen defensively. Teams would exploit Markannen and Carter on the floor together. Jackson, Bamba, or Bagley works better with Lauri due to their athleticism.

If the Bulls are going to keep Dunn, they better be sure the player they draft can shoot. You can't have 2 non shooters are the floor. Jackson, Bamba, or Bagley better develop good shots if the Bulls move up in the draft to pick them.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
As someone who hasn't watched a ton of college, and is overly influenced by the games I did watch, I want Divincenzo at 22.
He could be good. He's a good athlete and shooter. However, he's also 21 years old and players picked due to their March Madness performance have a tendency to falter. However, at #22, it's not a bad risk. Maybe he could turn out to be a Malcolm Brogdon type player.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
My Big Board/View Into How Happy Or Upset I'll be Tonight:
1. JJJ
2. Doncic
3. Ayton
4. Bagley
5. Trae Young
6. Bamba
7. WCJ
8. MPJ
9. Mikal Bridges
10. Kevin Knox

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
My Big Board/View Into How Happy Or Upset I'll be Tonight:
1. JJJ
2. Doncic
3. Ayton
4. Bagley
5. Trae Young
6. Bamba
7. WCJ
8. MPJ
9. Mikal Bridges
10. Kevin Knox
Michael Porter is the wild card. If his back is good, he might be picked much higher. Considering the Bulls staff did the Porter's medicals for the NBA, they should know the best out of any team.

Here's an interesting connection. We all know the Bulls have been connected to Chandler Hutchinson through the media. Hutchinson's agent is Kieran Piller who works at Priority. The CEO of Priority is Mark Bartelstein. Bartelstein is based out of Chicago and is also the agent for Michael Porter. Bartelstein is close to the Bulls and Reinsdorf. That's why he let the Bulls conduct Porter's NBA medicals.

In the NBA, the agents wield incredible power in regards to player personnel. This is why I believe the Bulls want Porter (unless someone like Doncic falls into their lap). Bartelstein might be pushing it as well. Porter definitely likes Chicago. To help Bartelstein, the Bulls are probably leaking info that Hutchinson won't make it past #22. That will help raise his stock. The Bulls could even pick him.

I'm just connecting the dots. This is all a guess on my part. The NBA is all about relationships.

Note: the owner of the Suns, Robert Sarver, is an Arizona grad and Tucson resident. Guess where Ayton is from.

Divac and Stojakovic are both Serbs. Doncic's father is Serb. It just came out Vivek Ranadive (owner of Kings) and his son met had lunch with Doncic in Europe a couple of weeks ago. I believe SAC is throwing a lot of smoke before the draft.

As I have said before, the NBA draft is more than just about talent. Relationships / business have a ton of influence.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
For whatever reason, I love draft coverage even though it takes forever. I'm not nearly as much of a NCAA hoops fan as I used to be, as I don't nearly have the time anymore, but still enjoy it and essentially that's the highest level of basketball that I really care about. Still enjoy seeing guys get drafted, though.

Hate the draft a player only to immediately flip him to another team two minutes later thing that they do in the NBA, though.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

If I'm Rick Hahn, I'd keep my propects in the minors for the full year. There's no reason to move up their free agency timeline. Bring them all up in the 3rd week of April 2019. I understand it's dirty ... but you have to use the system to your advantage.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
For whatever reason, I love draft coverage even though it takes forever. I'm not nearly as much of a NCAA hoops fan as I used to be, as I don't nearly have the time anymore, but still enjoy it and essentially that's the highest level of basketball that I really care about. Still enjoy seeing guys get drafted, though.

Hate the draft a player only to immediately flip him to another team two minutes later thing that they do in the NBA, though.
You'll be a college basketball fan again when Illinois finally turns it around.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
You'll be a college basketball fan again when Illinois finally turns it around.

Oh, I'm still an Illini fan. I catch almost every game that's on TV and try to go to at least a game year, too. I meant more along the lines of not having time to just watch college hoops in general. A few years back, and I watched neutral games in the NCAA season about as often as I watch neutral NHL games. That's what's mostly died off other than March Madness.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

I've never understood why they do this. Guys are wearing the hat of the team that drafted and doing interviews when everyone knows he's going to be traded. Makes no sense.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Oh, I'm still an Illini fan. I catch almost every game that's on TV and try to go to at least a game year, too. I meant more along the lines of not having time to just watch college hoops in general. A few years back, and I watched neutral games in the NCAA season about as often as I watch neutral NHL games. That's what's mostly died off other than March Madness.
I only watch UVA ... but the ACC is the center of the basketball world. :) ... unless you get UMBCed. My new four letter word.

The Bulls better not UMBC this up tonight.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
If I'm Rick Hahn, I'd keep my propects in the minors for the full year. There's no reason to move up their free agency timeline. Bring them all up in the 3rd week of April 2019. I understand it's dirty ... but you have to use the system to your advantage.
Development is more important than that.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Development is more important than that.
I agree, but you know me. I'm pretty consistent when it comes to fiscal responsibility when it comes to management. I'm all about roster / salary cap management. I just don't see a reason to push it this year. You can use most of next year for development ... because the ChiSox probably won't make the playoffs next year either.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
NBA draft tonight, NHL draft tomorrow, then we really get into MLB trade season. Will be interesting to see where Machado ultimately ends up, would be hilarious is Baltimore just keeps him and he runs his contract out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad