Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVII: Bulls draft Carter & Hutchison

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I am still praying the Bulls take on the Parson's contract to get the 4th pick. Without giving up the 7th pick what would it take, Levine?
I'm also on board, but I'd get why they wouldn't do it. Cap flexibility is at a premium right now.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I am still praying the Bulls take on the Parson's contract to get the 4th pick. Without giving up the 7th pick what would it take, Levine?
Probably not. There's still $50mn left on the Parson's contract. Levine for 4th pick + Parsons would be too much for the Bulls to give up.

You might add a third team to the trade like the Clippers who want to move up. Perhaps the Bulls give up the 7th pick for the Clippers 12th and 13th pick. Then the Bulls move the 12th pick to Memphis for Parsons + 4th pick. So the Bulls end up with Parsons + 4th + 13th ... along with the 22nd pick.

Remember, taking on Parsons contract could put the Bulls over the cap next year if they re sign LeVine and Nwaba. And then they probably don't have a max free agency slot in 2019 due to Parsons $25mn hit.

Because there are only a few teams that can actually eat Parsons contract this year without giving contracts back, the Bulls might still be giving up too much ... especially if they have to go into the luxury tax. That Chandler Parsons deal is one of the worst in NBA history due to his chronic knee issues.

Because of TV contracts, the cap is allegedly going up from $101mn to $108mn in 2019 (easier to predict than NHL due to far less moving parts - currency not a component). There might be 8 teams well under the cap next year (vs. 2-4 this year - dependent on options). Hence, this is the year to leverage max cap space.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Probably not. There's still $50mn left on the Parson's contract. Levine for 4th pick + Parsons would be too much for the Bulls to give up.

You might add a third team to the trade like the Clippers who want to move up. Perhaps the Bulls give up the 7th pick for the Clippers 12th and 13th pick. Then the Bulls move the 12th pick to Memphis for Parsons + 4th pick. So the Bulls end up with Parsons + 4th + 13th ... along with the 22nd pick.

Remember, taking on Parsons contract could put the Bulls over the cap next year if they re sign LeVine and Nwaba. And then they probably don't have a max free agency slot in 2019 due to Parsons $25mn hit.

Because there are only a few teams that can actually eat Parsons contract this year without giving contracts back, the Bulls might still be giving up too much ... especially if they have to go into the luxury tax. That Chandler Parsons deal is one of the worst in NBA history due to his chronic knee issues.

Because of TV contracts, the cap is allegedly going up from $101mn to $108mn in 2019 (easier to predict than NHL due to far less moving parts - currency not a component). There might be 8 teams well under the cap next year (vs. 2-4 this year - dependent on options). Hence, this is the year to leverage max cap space.

That could work.

If the Bulls were to pull this off and have the 4th and 7th pick? Who would you have them take?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That could work.

If the Bulls were to pull this off and have the 4th and 7th pick? Who would you have them take?
Don't know. It's a guessing game. However, the Bulls are desperate for playmakers and 3&D wings. If Doncic is there ... the Bulls would be foolish to not roll the dice. If Ayton, Doncic, and Bagley are gone with the first 3 picks ... the Bulls probably have to roll the dice with either JJJ or Bamba and pray the one they select becomes a unicorn. A unicorn is a rim protector, rim finisher, post up game, perimeter game, and enough quickness to not get destroyed in the pick and roll. The draft is a guessing game.

If the Bulls get JJJ, Bamba, or even Bagley with the 4th pick ... they can roll the dice again with Porter (back injuries are always serious) or Young / Sexton (need perimeter shooting / playmakers). They could go with the safe 3&D player like both Bridges kids. Or if they really want to roll the dice, go for Kevin Knox. He is probably the high ceiling / low floor without injury issues prospect in the draft. Perhaps he turns out like Tatum in time. Or he turns out like any other 18/19 year old raw athletic dud.

I guess the Bulls can find a 3&D guy with pick 22.

If I was forced, I'd fo with JJJ (because everyone on this board is sold in him) and then Trae Young at 7. Hopefully, in a couple of years, Young is strong enough to defend on the perimeter ... otherwise he's another Trey Burke. These are high reward / high failure picks. At 22, the Bulls can take a safe long and athletic 3&D player.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Why is Morrow not in? This better not be some Madden bs.

Not sure why Maddon wouldn’t go to him, so I’m pretty sure there is something else. Maddon makes some weird choices, but it’s usually over-use of his closer.. so that would make no sense.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
The tightness in the back for Morrow HAD to have happen after the 6th inning. Had Maddon known before the 6th, Cishek would have been saved for the 9th, with Wilson pitching the 6th. Justin Wilson should never be pitching the 9th, unless it's a blow out. So the tightness in Morrow's back had to been a last second thing.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The tightness in the back for Morrow HAD to have happen after the 6th inning. Had Maddon known before the 6th, Cishek would have been saved for the 9th, with Wilson pitching the 6th. Justin Wilson should never be pitching the 9th, unless it's a blow out. So the tightness in Morrow's back had to been a last second thing.

Why is Cishek better suited for the save situation? I see Wilson as a much better closer-type. Ideally, Cishek doesn’t come in and give up 2 runs, and then Strop may be able to close.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Both teams had potential big innings stopped because the pitcher came up with the bases loaded. I just don’t understand why people think that’s so good for baseball, but whatever.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
With the Cubs currently losing and the Cards and Brewes also ahead late, Cubbies very much on the verge of having the worst result possible of the day.

Well... guess the cards just went tied. But still. Been a frustrating day as a Cubs fan. Feels like I’m watching the NLCS again.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
With the Cubs currently losing and the Cards and Brewes also ahead late, Cubbies very much on the verge of having the worst result possible of the day.

Well... guess the cards just went tied. But still. Been a frustrating day as a Cubs fan. Feels like I’m watching the NLCS again.

Ohhhh... maybe a positive jinx?

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Jesus the Cubs plate approaches have been straight trash today. First person on base and then 2 straight Ks? You’re professional hitters.. be better.

Also... why not Heyward for Happ? Happ an impressive 0-for-8 with 4 Ks today.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Jesus the Cubs plate approaches have been straight trash today. First person on base and then 2 straight Ks? You’re professional hitters.. be better.

Also... why not Heyward for Happ? Happ an impressive 0-for-8 with 4 Ks today.

Cubs win. Thank the lord. Not a great day of baseball, but you’ll take a 1-1 split.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad