OT: Other Buffalo Sports (Bandits, Beauts, Bisons, NCAA Basketball and Football)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sources: Buffalo closing in on hire of new head coach
Buffalo’s fairly brief search to replace Lance Leipold appears to be winding quickly towards the finish line.
Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Michigan co-defensive coordinator Maurice Linguist is the frontrunner for the spot.

The Buffalo job is the last vacant FBS head coaching opening since Leipold last week accepted a long-term deal to replace Les Miles at Kansas.

Minnesota co-defensive coordinator Joe Harasymiak also is in the mix for the Bulls’ top spot.

Linguist 37 was a defensive assistant at UB in the 2012-13 seasons and has had stints with Iowa State, Texas A&M and the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys. Harbaugh hired him away from the Cowboys in 2020 to be his co-defensive coordinator at Michigan. Harasymiak 34, spent 8 years at Maine where he became the head coach, and the last 3 at Minnesota. In three seasons as head coach at Maine, his teams were 20-15 and 15-9 in the Colonial Athletic Association. In 2018, the Black Bears won the CAA championship and reached the FCS semifinals. Maine was 3-8 the year before Harasymiak was promoted from defensive coordinator to head coach.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY

And SPEAKING of the Blue Jays in Buffalo...first, tickets to the first batch of games sold out FAST. (Bills, Sabres and Bandits STH's(full disclosure: I'm a Bandits STH)got first shot at the tickets before the general public; that caused a fair deal of griping-and it's valid. Bisons STH's should have gone first.)

Second: Beginning June 15th, the Jays are expanding seating capacity at Sahlen Field to 45%(66% in vaccinated sections; 34% in physically-distanced pods). More sections on the third base side are being opened up for the vaccinated. PLUS, if you are vaccinated you no longer have to wear a mask in the seating bowl...but you WILL have to wear one indoors and when you can't physically distance(i.e. on the concourse). More tickets for the Yankees series will go on sale to everyone Thursday(5/27)at 10am. Be there. Aloha!

Third: If you're taking in a Jays game at Sahlen, just know that the food menus are going to be VERY limited(for the obvious reasons). It'll be pre-packaged and ready to go to reduce touchpoints(and that includes the condiments).

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sources: UB to add former Bulls quarterback Joe Licata to support staff
Yahoo! Sports originally reported that Licata, who was a quarterback at UB from 2012-15, will join Maurice Linguist's staff in an offensive quality control role and will work in high school relations.

Timon hired Licata in 2017 as its football coach and as its athletic director, and the Tigers won the Monsignor Martin Class B football championship in 2019, at the completion of Licata's third season.

Joe's a smart guy that works hard. I predict he'll advance rapidly.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Two Americans today playing in the biggest yearly sporting event in the world!

This current crop of US soccer players is the best they have ever had.

Reactions: LaxSabre

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Not Buffalo, but regional: Jaime Vardy (of Leicester City fame, of course) bought a stake in the Rochester Rhinos and wants to revive them for next USL season.

It'll never happen but every time I catch a news story about one of the lower soccer leagues in America, I start dreaming of a promotion/relegation system for MLS...

Reactions: sabremike

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Not Buffalo, but regional: Jaime Vardy (of Leicester City fame, of course) bought a stake in the Rochester Rhinos and wants to revive them for next USL season.

It'll never happen but every time I catch a news story about one of the lower soccer leagues in America, I start dreaming of a promotion/relegation system for MLS...

Which is funny because Rochester is ALREADY getting pro soccer back in the form of Flower City Union, which is debuting next season in the National Independent Soccer Association. The Rhinos' plans still haven't materialized as yet.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I figure this is the best thread to throw this in even if it Rochester sports and not Buffalo.

No more Rhinos as Rochester and Vardy rebrand club as Rochester New York FC

As a big Rhinos STH and fan way back in the day, I am not sure what to think of this rebrand. The name doesn't roll off the tongue. And my guess that the Rochester FC youth club was unwilling to give up the RFC name and brand.

So, we get this awkward name that kind of sounds like NYCFC.

It will be interesting to see what they do when they are back playing games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad