OT: Other Buffalo Sports (Bandits, Beauts, Bisons, NCAA Basketball and Football)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Tyree Jackson named to @daveyobrien Watch List!
DiUCstLW4AECu_i.jpg:small

Anthony Johnson named to the @biletnikoffawrd Watch List!
DieWCIzVQAIa5Cf.jpg:small

Reactions: Dingo44

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Bisons are home for five games vs Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs starting with games Monday night and Tuesday night (7:05 pm ET) - a single admission double-header Wednesday night (5:35 pm ET) and the finale on Thursday afternoon. (1:05 pm ET)

Vald's first game with the Bisons will be Tuesday nights game.

They then go on the road (at Scranton Wilkes-Barrie RailRiders) for three games next weekend before returning home with a six game homestand starting Tuesday, August 7. (Three games vs Gwinnett Stripers then three games vs Toledo Mud Hens.)

Hopefully he sticks around for the homestand after that one so I can see him strikeout alot. (I plan on attending at least one of three games the Bisons will be playing against Scranton Wilkes-Barrie RailRiders that are the first half of this seasons final homestand.)

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Whose a better prospect Dahlin or Vladdy?
I'm not sure how you can really compare prospects across sports. That said, I would think Dahlin has the potential to be a massively more impactful player, simply due to the difference between the sports.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I'm not sure how you can really compare prospects across sports. That said, I would think Dahlin has the potential to be a massively more impactful player, simply due to the difference between the sports.

I was just curious what others though. To me, Dahlin is a significantly better prospect in their respective sports.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
So last night I went to the bisons game since they were playing gwinnett. Being a Braves fan I wanted to get a look at their future third baseman, Austin Riley. Well... Not only did he have a Golden Sombrero but he added on a fifth. Eek.

scooch151

Dec 4, 2006
So last night I went to the bisons game since they were playing gwinnett. Being a Braves fan I wanted to get a look at their future third baseman, Austin Riley. Well... Not only did he have a Golden Sombrero but he added on a fifth. Eek.

Ahh... the old Platinum Sombrero. Also, I had to look it up, but apparently 6 K's is a Titanium Sombrero/Double Platinum Sombrero or a "Horn", after the first guy who did it.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Hey, at least he is in good company - this year we saw

April 3, 2018 - Giancarlo Stanton recorded a platinum sombrero in his home debut in his first season for the New York Yankees. Five days later he became the first player to ever record two platinum sombreros in one season when he went 0-7 and struck out for a fifth time with two runners and the Yankees down by one to end the game in extra innings versus the Baltimore Orioles.

June 4, 2018 - Aaron Judge of the New York Yankees earned a platinum sombrero, but more importantly struck out eight times, over course of a doubleheader against the Detroit Tigers, setting a new MLB record.

July 9, 2018 - Oakland Athletics outfielder Dustin Fowler recorded a platinum sombrero.

Now I hope Vald does the same when I see Scranton Wilkes-Barrie RailRiders destroy the Buffalo Bisons in a couple of weeks. (Current plans have me attending the night game on Wednesday, August 22 and the afternoon game on Thursday, August 23.)

Golden Sombrero - Wikipedia

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Ahh... the old Platinum Sombrero. Also, I had to look it up, but apparently 6 K's is a Titanium Sombrero/Double Platinum Sombrero or a "Horn", after the first guy who did it.

The term derives from hat trick, and since four is bigger than three, the rationale was that a four-strikeout performance should be referred to by a bigger hat, such as a sombrero.

The "Olympic Rings" or platinum sombrero applies to a player striking out five times in a game.

While a horn (named after Sam Horn of the Baltimore Orioles, who accomplished the feat in an extra-inning game in 1991), titanium sombrero or double platinum sombrero is bestowed upon a player who strikes out six times in a single game.

The term was coined by San Diego Padres player Carmelo Martínez in the 1980s and first appeared in print when Leon Durham was quoted as using it in 1984. The term "Horn" for a six-strikeout game was coined by Orioles pitcher Mike Flanagan after Horn's six strikeout game.

Golden Sombrero - Wikipedia

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo Bisons @BuffaloBisons -
It's not often we get pumped when the opposition posts their lineup, but this is an exception!!!
Excited to see former Bison Brandon Phillips back at Coca-Cola Field tonight!!!
Scheduled to bat second and be the DH. Welcome back to Buffalo @DatDudeBP!!!

DlYyS6BXoAAAgwn.jpg:small

PawSox @PawSox -
It’s another four-hit night for Brandon Phillips!!!! 4-for-4, 2B Average: .331 OPS: .880
(Unfortunately for the PawSox - they lose 13-4 to the Bisons.)

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo Bisons @BuffaloBisons -
JONATHAN DAVIS leaves the yard in the 3rd!
Sets a new #Bisons modern era record with EIGHT straight ABs with a hit!!!!!!!!
Wednesday: Double - Triple - Friday: Single - Single - Home Run - (HBP - Bat doesn't count) - Single - Tonight (Saturday): Single - Home Run.
Update - The streak ends at franchise-record 8 straight hits as he hit into a 4-6-3 DP - 9th AB.
DleseHPV4AAi0Gc.jpg:small

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad