Other AZ Sports Thread 6: Sun Devils, Suns, Lumberjacks, Cardinals, Dbacks, Rattlers, Wildcats, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I have to be honest: I'm not a fan of "ties/draws/etc" in sports. I'll try to keep calm in this.

The Detroit game is frustrating. This may be a long season, but at least we have something to build on.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I've already adopted the Rays as my baseball team. If I adopt a Florida football team it'll be the Bucs for NFL and/or UCF for college.

I will never abandon the Coyotes. Not ever.

Oh, come on, won't you be living in Gainesville? There's only one college team in Florida you can root for living in Gainesville. (and I even 1) am from Orlando and 2) have some grad school hrs from UCF...but...come on....)

(this one's for the late great AP, who may be here under yet another screen name for all I know....)

images

And don't adopt any Florida NFL teams. They're all horrible and will be for the foreseeable future.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Oh, come on, won't you be living in Gainesville? There's only one college team in Florida you can root for living in Gainesville. (and I even 1) am from Orlando and 2) have some grad school hrs from UCF...but...come on....)

(this one's for the late great AP, who may be here under yet another screen name for all I know....)

images

And don't adopt any Florida NFL teams. They're all horrible and will be for the foreseeable future.

That's different from the Cardinals, how exactly? :P

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
A game of football was technically played, yes.

For as bad as our offensive line was, the game plan was get the ball out quick. They did a good job I think. Defense was put on the field a long time but held msu. I think there are some positives from the win.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think the Cards are still able to take moral victories. Not good, but not as bad as I sort of expected on both sides of the ball. There's something to build on, which is the best you can probably expect early with a new staff, systems, rookie qb, and weak roster.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think the Cards are still able to take moral victories. Not good, but not as bad as I sort of expected on both sides of the ball. There's something to build on, which is the best you can probably expect early with a new staff, systems, rookie qb, and weak roster.

They played with a brand new right tackle that was getting beat all day and still kept it close.

You can see the offense coming together. It's what a rebuilding team should look like.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Cardinals have never been able to defend good TEs, never employ them themselves. Kingsbury used Jace Amaro to smash a good ASU when he was at TT, yet doesn't use one at all really with the Cardinals. Panthers showing what a good safety net a good TE can be.

Trent Sherfield dropped a sure TD for the Cardinals and then the game just unraveled from there. At least the Cardinals are still beating themselves and not just getting blown out.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
The Cardinals are trash. Murray is trash and the entire organization should be fired into the sun.

By the time this dumb f*** front office fixes protection and skill around the QB, Kyler is gonna be RGIII.

The QB situation over the last two seasons has set this franchise back YEARS.

time to go Barroway route and fire the ever living f*** out of everyone.

They need to follow what Miami is doing and trade everyone with a pulse away. They’ll be looking to draft the kid from Clemson at this rate. Lol

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Uhh no. I'm just going to assume you are drunk.

Prove me wrong?

he’s not very good. He played on a stacked team in college.

Wasn’t a fan of his selection since way before he was drafted. He was a projected third round pick before he started moving up, which you see year after year. Kids being moved up and drafted based solely on desperation instead of making sure they have a sure fire pick.

AZ could have traded back and gotten Murray while shoring you additional picks to fill in holes. They could’ve also gotten a better piece to fit their roster and continue to build from the lines out until you knew you were a stud QB away from contending

The list of first round QB busts far surpass the amount of first round successes. Trading up to get Rosen last year was idiotic. Giving up on him was idiotic. Drafting Murray is proving to be stupid too. The kid just isn’t very good to warrant a first overall pick. I’d love to be wrong, but he (mostly his lame ass coaches) aren’t doing anything to make this kid better or putting him in a position to succeed.

The Cardinals have a metric f*** ton of holes to fill. Unfortunately for Murray these holes are exploiting his weaknesses as a passer. Murray may end up becoming a good player and I hope he does, however for the Cardinals 2019 was not the year to draft a QB.

Keim is the worst at evaluating talent, coach has been a consistent loser at every level he’s coached at, worst offensive line, worst defense, worst wide receiver core. Drafting two QBs back to back with the before list of worst (enter position here) was just plain stupidity. Kyler has shown signs of brilliance, he’s also shown plenty of signs of just being a bad NFL quarterback.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Prove me wrong?

After his third ("bad") game and his QBR is higher than:
Derek Carr
Aaron Rodgers
Baker Mayfield
Jameis Winston
Jared Goff
Cam Newton

He has double the QBR of Rosen last year and is in the middle of the pack. This with lots of dropped passes, no line to speak of, and over half a game that was basically a complete write off for everyone involved. This is his OC's first year in the league and the other offensive players actually have less knowledge of the system (which is heavily based on timing and improvisation) than Murray does. The rest of the team needs to catch up to him.

The Ravens actually had the #1 defense last year and the Lions are undefeated. The Panthers are not a bad team. To highlight the stark difference between the two teams that met today, let's look at point differential:

• The Panthers were a competitive team last year, only giving up 6 more points than they scored.
  • The Cardinals were the worst team in football, giving up 200 more points than they scored

Your 'bad' quarterback tied the Lions. He had a 1 possession game in the 4th quarter against the Ravens and the Panthers. That's pretty astounding for a first year QB on an atrocious team.

Wasn’t a fan of his selection since way before he was drafted. He was a projected third round pick before he started moving up, which you see year after year. Kids being moved up and drafted based solely on desperation instead of making sure they have a sure fire pick.

AZ could have traded back and gotten Murray while shoring you additional picks to fill in holes.

He was the consensus #1 after his pro day and the combine for a reason. Last time the Cardinals just tried to play it 'smart' the Chiefs traded up in front of them for Mahomes. There are few times to trade up in sports where it makes sense, a QB in the NFL is easily justified because of the importance of the position.

They could’ve also gotten a better piece to fit their roster and continue to build from the lines out until you knew you were a stud QB away from contending

The list of first round QB busts far surpass the amount of first round successes. Trading up to get Rosen last year was idiotic. Giving up on him was idiotic. Drafting Murray is proving to be stupid too. The kid just isn’t very good to warrant a first overall pick. I’d love to be wrong, but he (mostly his lame ass coaches) aren’t doing anything to make this kid better or putting him in a position to succeed.

The Cardinals have a metric **** ton of holes to fill. Unfortunately for Murray these holes are exploiting his weaknesses as a passer. Murray may end up becoming a good player and I hope he does, however for the Cardinals 2019 was not the year to draft a QB.

Teams very rarely get top 5 picks, or even the number 1. Spending the 1st overall on a QB is the best thing you can do. It's far, far easier to acquire an average line than it is to find a true top 10 QB, which Murray is already well on his way to being.

Keim is the worst at evaluating talent, coach has been a consistent loser at every level he’s coached at, worst offensive line, worst defense, worst wide receiver core. Drafting two QBs back to back with the before list of worst (enter position here) was just plain stupidity. Kyler has shown signs of brilliance, he’s also shown plenty of signs of just being a bad NFL quarterback.

He hasn't shown any signs of being a 'bad' quarterback. I'd love to hear what those are. A few high throws here and there are normal for a kid in his first few professional games. The first interception was on Fitz for not running the right route. Kyler Murray has actually been on point far more than the rest of the offense. It's not his fault someone like Sherfield drops an easy touchdown when wide open. Kirk has had plenty of drops as well, both today and in previous games. His line is garbage and gets bullied easily.

Murray is not the reason Christian McCaffrey ran for 150+ yards against the Cardinals, or Greg Olsen basically being undefended all game. Mind you Murray was playing for a chance to be the first QB to throw for 300+ yards in his first three games. He played the #1, #10, and #15th ranked defense and yet he had the Cardinals in a position to win in all 3 games, the worst team in football last year.

How you look at all of that and say "well he's bad" is beyond me. It's been 3 games. It's an entirely new system being learned by a weak roster. I have no idea what you expected, but apparently it was very unreasonable.

The Cardinals look exactly like a rebuilding team should. Promise, but ultimately incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad