Other AZ Sports Thread 6: Sun Devils, Suns, Lumberjacks, Cardinals, Dbacks, Rattlers, Wildcats, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX

What is with Arizona and professional sports? Cardinals are the only team really that doesn't seem to complain, but then again, they have a sweet stadium, and the NFL is bringing in mega bucks.

I'm annoyed that the Dbacks complained so much, basically got what they wanted, and now are sitting on their hands. Eventually they are going to try to play the blame game I'm guessing to get out of their lease in the earlier time frame that they are allowed now.

What is their plan though? Are they going to work with other places to get a stadium built(the tribe?). I mean, they already have Salt River Fields out there. Or are they going to relocate to another city? It just blows my mind how greedy all of these sports clubs are that make bank. Sarver being the worst of them all.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
There was a time in my life when I wanted to do JEFF'S JOB, whether with the Suns or D-Backs.

Me too. And I got to live the dream, sort of. I was a scorekeeper for youth hockey in Chandler in the early 00s for a couple of years (so got to announce the goals and penalties, "1 minute remaining", that sort of thing.) Got asked if I was professional DJ once. It was fun.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I never got in the career field to be a PA Announcer. (I did try to operate my high school (Marcos de Niza, Tempe, AZ) baseball scoreboard, but I got chewed out for having the wrong score. Whoops. )

I don't know how old you are, but I'm sure there's still a way to do that. If you have kids in school and such, possible to find a way that route. I remember my mom used to work at the high school in town(Bradshaw Mountain in Prescott Valley) when I was in middle school. I was lucky to be able to know all the sports coaches since I was such a sports nut. I actually worked the basketball scoreboard for the games(with supervision of course). I remember one game I hit the horn on accident thinking it was an ok time for a sub, refs didn't like that.

It helped my baseball career though. My dad was an umpire, so I got to know all of the baseball umpires for the most part in town that did games. I got a few homer calls not going to lie when I was at the plate from some of the umpires.

Sorry, sidetracked. But I'm sure if you really wanted to get into that, you could find a way. It's never too late to do something like that in my opinion.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I never got in the career field to be a PA Announcer. (I did try to operate my high school (Marcos de Niza, Tempe, AZ) baseball scoreboard, but I got chewed out for having the wrong score. Whoops. )

In the late 60’s - 70’s I PA’d basketball in high school and college (Cal Poly SLO). Ran scoreboards, etc.

I listen to some PA guys now across the leagues today and feel I could run rings around many of them. Some of them really suck.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
With the passing of The Prodigy's Keith Flint, I remember a Suns intro that I don't know if you guys are fond of.

RIP Keith. I'm a firestarter! Twisted firestarter!

Reactions: CC96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->